Game-Labs Forum

The ability to razee your ship

Hi, My clan members were talking on team speak and we stumbled across the conversation of the black pearl and the Queen Anne's Revenge, anyway we discovered that the black pearl was originally a indiaman that had more gun ports, we though about in and the topic of razeeing ships came up, now what I am thinking is that you can have a third rate and you decide that it is not the ship for you, so you get a lvl 40 crafter to razee it for you, it would have to take massive amounts of labour hours and gold but it would decrease the amount of crew needed and keep the overall structure and strength of the ship, but with the disadvantage of less guns and the sailing characteristics of a 3rd rate.

Thanks

• Like 4

If i recall correctly. "Razee"ing a ship is the act of reducing the number of serviceable decks on a ship. For example, changing a 3 deck 3rd/2nd rate into a 2-deck frigate.

Things like up-gunned indiamen or the Queen Anne's Revenge (originally a Dutch-rigged slaver) are refits, rather than razees.

Being able to adjust one's ship is noteworthy however, but it should not be limited to only adding more guns or the like:

Edited by William the Drake

HMS Indefatigable,

previously a 64 gunner, razee-d down to a big frigate

Idefatigable.jpg

The red outline is what indy looked like after her refit.

what you suggest sounds weird. And out of the wrong motives.

Blackbeard upgunned a trade vessel.

You suggest a downgrade?

btw: we will have Indy in game. And maybe Agamemnon (a 64 of the same class as indy used to be)

• Like 2

I'd love to be able to raze a 3rd rate into something like Indefatigable as I feel like she would be a great mix between Frigate and SOL gameplay, perhaps similar to the Consti in certain ways?

There's no point in adding the option unless you're looking to "trade in" one ship model for another.

there could also be the added bonus of getting ALL of the carriages from the ship, along with other assorted resources and mats.

This is a cool idea, but unfortunately I think short of coming up with two versions of each ship - the normal and razee version - I don't see how it can be accommodated.

And developing the razee version would require quite a lot of work, just the same as developing an entirely new ship, in terms of its sailing qualities, hit boxes, armor, etc.

For my part, although the idea is interesting, I would rather see the devs give us more breadth of diversity rather than "A" and "B" versions of the same vessels. Just my opinion, of course.

This is a cool idea, but unfortunately I think short of coming up with two versions of each ship - the normal and razee version - I don't see how it can be accommodated.

And developing the razee version would require quite a lot of work, just the same as developing an entirely new ship, in terms of its sailing qualities, hit boxes, armor, etc.

For my part, although the idea is interesting, I would rather see the devs give us more breadth of diversity rather than "A" and "B" versions of the same vessels. Just my opinion, of course.

And the sailing qualities part is the most important.  There is absolutely nothing to base this on, so it becomes pure fantasy.  Some razees had better sailing qualities than their original form, some worse.  We only know for the ships that were actually razee'd.

• Like 1

There is one sort of impromptu razee-ing that would be plausible, and that's cutting off the poop deck or quarterdeck bulwarks to improve weatherliness and stability at the cost of protection from gunfire. Most ships would not be good candidates for this sort of treatment, however.

And the sailing qualities part is the most important.  There is absolutely nothing to base this on, so it becomes pure fantasy.  Some razees had better sailing qualities than their original form, some worse.  We only know for the ships that were actually razee'd.

Is  possible then to have  a somewhat random outcome for the ship, if the renovation of the ship is conducted with skill then the ship will be made better whereas if it is done by someone with less skill then it will be the same if not worse.

for example, a lvl50 crafter razee's the ship it is done better

and if  a lvl25 crafter does the razee there is more chance that it will turn out worse.

This could also create a new market for 5th rates and 4th rates and better for the new PB rework.

Also when the officer system is added you might have officers that like specific sized ships or even a foreman for the shipwright to conduct the build better.

Edited by Strugelwits

Razees I have no problem being added to the game. Being able to Razee a ship though I think is a fantasy approach that would simply displace real ships from their purpose. 

I do believe that it takes the purpose of building big ships away but, as I said it would be a nice option, I know a Dutch player that hates SOL  but he says that If he could get something with a lower profile and more manoeuvrability that would be the ship for him.

There is one sort of impromptu razee-ing that would be plausible, and that's cutting off the poop deck or quarterdeck bulwarks to improve weatherliness and stability at the cost of protection from gunfire. Most ships would not be good candidates for this sort of treatment, however.

The problem with this is the devs will have to modify the ship's model to represent that, and I'm not sure, though I cannot be certain, whether they'd be willing to do that.