Game-Labs Forum

Reload Penalty in Rain

I'd say no, as the spray and general ocean air when traveling 14 kts or the likes would be just about the same, so there would be no difference.  However, if something like this does get implemented, it should only affect the top deck of guns.  I'd be much more inclined to see lower ports closed in rough weather on the larger vessels.

well reload is really not a big problem in the  rain, so i do not think that is a big priority

the biggest problem in they rain would be vision and distance accuracy

also water is not good for the powder,/but they where carried in powder sacks 

so i think it is not a feature what should have influence 

• Like 1

Well with rain comes wind. With wind comes swells. Swells make people lose their balance and water to build on the lower decks. I would think people working to keep the powder dry and the bilge pumping would be alot more during a storm/rain

The only affect is that battles last longer for which I don't see any reason.

Just because you can't imagine any other effects, doesn't mean there aren't any.

An example of a possible effect; rain would adversely affect exposed deck guns, but not below-deck guns. Therefore, ships with more exposed deck guns would be put at a temporary disadvantage against those ships who have more of their cannons protected under the deck, thus altering the balance of strength in certain situations, and providing players with an extra tactical element.

Likewise, rain could affect boarding; musketry would be hampered by rain.

Well with rain comes wind. With wind comes swells. Swells make people lose their balance and water to build on the lower decks. I would think people working to keep the powder dry and the bilge pumping would be alot more during a storm/rain

Actually, rain does not always come with wind, and swells could develop from wind hundreds of miles away.  Wind and waves are related, but you can have that without any rain.  So, during a storm there would generally be more water down below due to the ship working (flexing) and some water leaking.  However, water from damage would be much greater, and unless there was a lull in fighting, the water seepage from the ship working would be negligible enough to ignore in most conditions, except for pumping out the bilge once a day or so.  And due to the designs of the magazines on anything beyond probably the brig/snows were designed to keep the powder especially dry.  So during a storm, yes more people would be needed for trimming the yards, gunnery would be slightly slower due to the roll and pitch of the deck, but that's all due to sea state.  Rain itself wouldn't have a major impact.

Just because you can't imagine any other effects, doesn't mean there aren't any.

An example of a possible effect; rain would adversely affect exposed deck guns, but not below-deck guns. Therefore, ships with more exposed deck guns would be put at a temporary disadvantage against those ships who have more of their cannons protected under the deck, thus altering the balance of strength in certain situations, and providing players with an extra tactical element.

Likewise, rain could affect boarding; musketry would be hampered by rain.

Rain would not necessarily affect exposed deck guns more than below.  The powder was in cartridges and carried in bags or covered tin pails (depending on era, nation, etc.) that were protection from sparks and water.  The touch hole would be covered/protected until ready to fire, when the priming powder would be added and then the gun fired.  Much more important would be heavy seas forcing lower gun decks to remain closed on some larger ships, and this has good historical evidence.  Musketry would be slightly hampered by rain, but rain has no affect on boarding pikes, axes, swords, etc.  The lack of as many muskets would really be evened out by the enemy not having muskets as well.

most guns in most men of war are fairly well covered from rain. Also powder was kept dry either in bags or horns.... Well the bags would not have done much... Unless fresh from the magazine. It would have to be pretty heavy rain.

How do you overcome the problems of ships with enclosed decks vs those which are open decked? Closed deck ships (which is probably the bulk of them are unaffected by rain except for their upper deck carronades.

Why are you all talking just about the Powder, did any of you ever walk on Wet Wood ? No pleasure. And not when there is ruff sea. Should have a big impact on the weather deck, as people can only accomplish different tasks slower, since they need to pay attention they dont fall and hold their balance.