Game-Labs Forum

Earth Curvature planned?

Hum... While I am all for more realism while keeping it fun. I don't that that is THAT much important, and it will probably take a LOT of ressource just to be implemented, think about it.

The whole map is flat and everything is created to stay flat there. If you curve it, it may create some problems, bugs etc...

I have so far never see "earth-like" map, except in Planetary games.

Virtual globes already exist as a naval sim platform, think 'command modern air/naval operations'. Hardly a MMO, though.

For me, I don't see what kind of depth it would add, except twisting the heading for very long travels. An anecdotal improvement, not worth the time for the devs.

It would primarily be a sighting thing - vessels rise from the horizon at different ranges according to their height (and the height of the observer's platform).

That can be simulated with a vertical displacement. Might be a good alternative to the haze.

• Like 1

instead of popping..

it might add an illusion if the ships appear from top to bottom when they get spotted on the OS.

first you see are the topps. Then the royals, etc..

Cause the popping of the ships adds alot of problems.

You can suddenly find yourself within reach or a huuuge enemy fleet.

• Like 1

That was mentioned in the previous thread on the same subject.

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/13278-earth-curvature/#entry242755

I mentioned also in that thread that traders would like to see curvature implemented since part of their MO is to be sneaky and avoid detection.  This very discussion about traders avoiding detection was started today by Wind.  Using curvature for avoidance of detection would likely become a key strategy IMO.

Edited by Jean Ribault
  • Like 1

Thanks for the input everyone.

I'm really sure it would add another dimension to the game.

The ships popping into view are very abstract and immersion breaking for me.

Edited by 312_Jura
  • Like 1

I don't see how curvature itself would improve the game at all, but I do see how ship visibility due to curvature could add realism tothe  game and improve the sense of immersion.

And I agree that switching from 2 to 3 coordinates is a huge waste of CPU time and bandwidth.  Far easier to simplify it as follows:

1. In a battle instance, the earth is flat.  change nothing.

2. On the open sea, ships appear to sail lower in the water the farther away you are.  This would be something done client-side without any server involvement.  Ships that render near your own ship (or near the camera position if you want to do it that way) appear normally, but ships rendered farther away have increasing amounts of negative Y applied until eventually all you can see is masts sailing through the water like a submarine's periscope.

If you did this that would give the illusion of curvature without actually doing much math at all.  Most players would never even be able to tell the difference between 'approximated curvature' done this way and 'real curvature'.

• Like 1