Game-Labs Forum

PvP2: Tales of France

Slamz

You are a funny little man, pirates that join British will forever remain pirates, i can also not take someone serious that has a name and picture like you.

it seems all your comments are directed at me, I am extremely flattered but mate, but do something else for once, maybe do something in game? from what I have seen the dutch are near the bottom at the moment.

This is the most "trash-talking" post on this thread.  If SOB members want better discourse, then look to you're own ranks.  Frenchmen are happy with their accomplishments (although not achieved in the most fun manner, PvT, but accomplishments non-the-less) there is no need for British members to even be on this thread unless it's a "GF" or "you got us today, you'll get you tomorrow" type comment made in with sportsmanship. Rivalry is not bad, as long as it's done in a, reasonably, respectful manner. 

• Like 1

I agree.  "In general" there does need to be better discourse on the forums, but that is hard to accomplish when a completely innocent thread is filled with accusations of "trash-talking" when no such negativity exists.  Who is the negative one in that case?  I hope to see you at the end of my sights, and me at the end of yours.  The more good fights the better.  

You can say my name, I won't be offended, i am not the only negative one mate, it's not good to blame 1 person when everyone is also to blame, that won't fix the issues.

I am willing to let things go back to normal on the forums but I doubt the rest who are out for my blood want the same.

You are a funny little man, pirates that join British will forever remain pirates, i can also not take someone serious that has a name and picture like you.

it seems all your comments are directed at me, I am extremely flattered but mate, but do something else for once, maybe do something in game? from what I have seen the dutch are near the bottom at the moment.

Yes yes, we rule the bottom of the map: )

This is the most "trash-talking" post on this thread.  If SOB members want better discourse, then look to you're own ranks.  Frenchmen are happy with their accomplishments (although not achieved in the most fun manner, PvT, but accomplishments non-the-less) there is no need for British members to even be on this thread unless it's a "GF" or "you got us today, you'll get you tomorrow" type comment made in with sportsmanship. Rivalry is not bad, as long as it's done in a, reasonably, respectful manner. 

French and other nations have came into a thread title pirates and british and started insulting SOB members, i said this once and I will say it again, don't think yourself or anyone else a saint cause they are not, and nor am I, You love throwing blame at SOB and me all the time but never look to your own nations and other nations posts.

I made a post with Great Britians accomplishments, you know what happened? it got invaded by pirates, french and dutch with trash talking.

Edited by Lord Roberts
  • Like 1

You can say my name, I won't be offended, i am not the only negative one mate, it's not good to blame 1 person when everyone is also to blame, that won't fix the issues.

I am willing to let things go back to normal on the forums but I doubt the rest who are out for my blood want the same.

As usual, I wasn't talking to you, but you still insist on butting in.  Listen to your own clan mates, and chill out. 

French and other nations have came into a thread titles pirates and british and started insulting SOB members, i said this once and I will say it again, don't think yourself or anyone else a saint cause they are not, and nor am I.

What are we supposed to say?  "Someone attacked someone, somewhere"? I do not know of any insults being thrown at SOB members, you are seeing things that aren't there. 

WIS would have loved to oblige you with fun PvP in the area, but unfortunately you decided to wait until 12:55am to attack a port that you knew was held by a group that has never had more than 12 players on-line. (a full 55 minutes after the game was telling us the port timer was closed, so we left to do other things... not your fault, presumably another display 'bug' in the game).

We still managed to get our 7 ships that were online into battle against your 10,000 BR French fleet, and even engaged you at the very first tower.

We thought you wanted PvP, and were surprised to find you still going for the speed cap of the towers.

We were sure we had read you all posting about wanting to fight, and that winning using the BR ratio was wrong?

We can only surmise that you were uncertain of your chances against WIS, since you only had 5:1 odds in your favor... we know you Frenchies are a skittish lot ;)

Seriously though...

Unless something changes I suspect good fights will be harder and harder to come by as time goes on.

Many people have already grown tired of the lack of game content and left, and the game isn't helped by the constant trash talking both in-game and in the forums.

This community has been showing the immaturity of many of its so-called adult players really badly over the last couple of weeks, and thats not a good way to retain a player base.

There are too many other games out there that people can play and have fun, without listening to a constant spew of hate-filled garbage.

Lets hope the community cleans up its act, and the devs get some more meaningful content out really soon, before we lose too many to make this game fun.

We want an age-of-sail game to succeed... i hope we can at least agree on that :)

Of historical note, when the Pirate invasion of the French happen, WIS had ships in the area.  We even had a few skirmishes around Bridgetown.  Instead of helping us when the pirates landed, they gobbled up the ports in the area that were not defended and continued to PvE north of St George.  I thought there was some outreach to them for help but we did not get any from the British nation until the fated Battle of Aves.  WIS then couldn't stop the tide of pirates which flowed into the ports they had captured.  No French help could be given because we were "all hands on deck" at Pedernales.

In this French captain's opinion, WIS missed an opportunity with the French and the British nation missed a opportunity for a valuable ally.

PS.  PORT TIMERS.  Set your port timers if you want a Port Battle fight even if you are outnumbered.  Prime French Example: Pedernales.

Edited by Dharus

As usual, I wasn't talking to you, but you still insist on butting in.  Listen to your own clan mates, and chill out. 

What are we supposed to say?  "Someone attacked someone, somewhere"? I do not know of any insults being thrown at SOB members, you are seeing things that aren't there. 

Ah yes, now you are saying I am delusional just like what snackbar called me, you must be really blind to see no one is insulting me on the forums or in game.

and who else would you be talking about, as you somehow think I am the only person to blame for the trash talking on the forums.

Edited by Lord Roberts

Ah yes, now you are saying I am delusional just like what snackbar called me, you must be really blind to think no one is insulting me on the forums or in game.

and who else would you be talking about, as you somehow think I am the only person to blame for the trash talking on the forums.

I am not snackbar.  So what he says apply to him, not me, and not this thread.  If you don't like people shooting at you on the forums then don't shoot first, simple. 

I am not snackbar.  So what he says apply to him, not me, and not this thread.  If you don't like people shooting at you on the forums then don't shoot first, simple. 

shoot first, that's funny, this all started because snackbar out of no where started abusing SOB members in game in global chat.

you also never answered my question, can you please answer it?

Edited by Lord Roberts
  • Like 1

Hi Arbour,

I don't think Howe was speaking about this thread in particular, its quite a healthy thread from what I can read, his comment and my subsequent comment was 'in general'. Some good PVP talk going on here, the French have been making themselves a nation again in the East, something to be celebrated at least. I would like to thank Slamz for taking the time to piece together the current French history as it stands.

I might be totally wrong however, as I assume I will be on the receiving end of French guns eventually!

Cheers,

Ravenburg.

I was there at St. John. The WIS were hopelessly outnumbered but gave it a valiant effort. The battle went to the end and there were still WIS fighting as the last tower fell before everyone began to punch out. Same thing happened at Cabo Roya when it was just three WIS.

Couple things we will never be able to get around. There will never be a perfect setting for port timers. The paranoid defensive nature of humans is simply never going to allow even one conditional enemy port in the backfield. No matter how much fun that could be. You just can't sell the idea past the masses.

No some things we can eventually get around. Eventually port battle terrain will change things up. Perhaps we'll see medium depth ports to give frigates more relavance and increased numbers of shallow ports. Alliance tools that resolve some of the human nature trust issues. Some strategic goals or reasons to fight other than coloring the map. This and more is still possible. It's a really good skeleton of a game with huge potential.

• Like 2

shoot first, that's funny, this all started because snackbar out of no where started abusing SOB members in game in global chat.

Do you hear yourself?  "A pirate posted some smacktalk, so that gives me justification to insult anyone and everyone."  Grow up. Or at least grow thicker skin.  Go troll snakbar (whoever that is) but don't use that as justification to act like a child to everyone. 

Edited by Arbour
  • Like 1

Do you hear yourself?  "A pirate posted some smacktalk, so that gives me justification to insult anyone and everyone."  Grow up. Or at least grow thicker skin.  Go troll snakbar (whoever that is) but don't use that as justification to act like a child to everyone. 

You are just another ignorant person, you think yourself better than me because you apparently don't trash talk, you are not a saint nor are your friends mate, get down from your high horse and see the real picture instead of the false one you put in your head.

Of historical note, when the Pirate invasion of the French happen, WIS had ships in the area.  We even had a few skirmishes around Bridgetown.  Instead of helping us when the pirates landed, they gobbled up the ports in the area that were not defended and continued to PvE north of St George.  I thought there was some outreach to them for help but we did not get any from the British nation until the fated Battle of Aves.  WIS then couldn't stop the tide of pirates which flowed into the ports they had captured.  No French help could be given because we were "all hands on deck" at Pedernales.

In this French captain's opinion, WIS missed an opportunity with the French and the British nation missed a opportunity for a valuable ally.

PS.  PORT TIMERS.  Set your port timers if you want a Port Battle fight even if you are outnumbered.  Prime French Example: Pedernales.

I am confused Sir. You seem not to have read what i said.

The entirety of WIS (minus 1 gentleman who's work shift didn't allow it) was on-line every evening during the open ports assault time for St. John (our only port).

Despite the timers actually displaying wrong information (they apparently "round off" 59 minutes of the timer) we were still mounted a defense against a huge attack fleet with 100% of our online players.

Port timers are a rubbish mechanic, as many have said repeatedly... but irrelevant to a discussion involving WIS.

The present French port blitz is primarily possible because most of the players in the clans that held those ports for Brit are no longer playing... see my previous comments regarding possible reasons.

A constantly shrinking player base coupled with a fundamental flawed game mechanic can only lead to similar silly shifts/blitzes over the next few weeks, by one or more nations.

I assume we all agree It's not hard (and certainly boring) to capture relatively undefended ports?

I was there at St. John. The WIS were hopelessly outnumbered but gave it a valiant effort. The battle went to the end and there were still WIS fighting as the last tower fell before everyone began to punch out. Same thing happened at Cabo Roya when it was just three WIS.

Couple things we will never be able to get around. There will never be a perfect setting for port timers. The paranoid defensive nature of humans is simply never going to allow even one conditional enemy port in the backfield. No matter how much fun that could be. You just can't sell the idea past the masses.

No some things we can eventually get around. Eventually port battle terrain will change things up. Perhaps we'll see medium depth ports to give frigates more relavance and increased numbers of shallow ports. Alliance tools that resolve some of the human nature trust issues. Some strategic goals or reasons to fight other than coloring the map. This and more is still possible. It's a really good skeleton of a game with huge potential.

Bravo Sir... well said.

i particularly like the idea of a port type that favors mid-range ships.

• Like 3

You are just another ignorant person, you think yourself better than me because you apparently don't trash talk, you are not a saint nor are your friends mate, get down from your high horse and see the real picture instead of the false one you put in your head.

OMG, why are you still here?  You are just proving my point to everyone.  (I wonder what insult he will throw at me next.)

OMG, why are you still here?  You are just proving my point to everyone.  (I wonder what insult he will throw at me next.)

I am done with you mate, enjoy talking to yourself from now on. all you want to do is start shit and continue a pointless argument, I refuse any further to be baited into your trap.

Edited by Lord Roberts

I am done with you mate, enjoy talking to yourself from now on. all you want to do is start shit and continue a pointless argument, I refuse any further to be baited into your trap.

Good, but it's not a trap.  I really do want you to stop posting in these threads, in the way that you do.  You turn harmless poking into full-blown personal insults.  If I never see a "Roberts' post" again, this entire forum will be better for it. 

• Like 2

It's funny people called our attack on Fred a zerg but we were met with a full 25 french players ready to defend, I don't believe there has been any zerg on a french port ever, maybe we did to american/spanish ports but never french.

... I thought you were leaving.

• Like 1

... I thought you were leaving.

I said i was not going to be baited by your attempt start shit, I am allowed to talk on this thread and any other thread if i so please, you do not dictate what I do and never will do, I am simply engaging in the conversation, now please sir, let it go. This thread is about the french, not you and me to argue pointlessly mate, now please let us talk reasonably about what this thread is truly about.

Edited by Lord Roberts

For the battle at St. John's against WIS I had personally expected more brits to be defending. Which is one of the reasons we brought such a large fleet to engage. The big push from SoH, SoB, WIS, and TCF into the Antilles suggested to us it would be a long drawn out fight.

After this weekend though, we realized that it was not the case.

• Like 1

He can't leave he has a point to get across that you will never hear. He want's you to acknowledged him for being good at something he is not.

Is he supposed to be good at getting under our skin, or making himself look bad?  Hard to tell, cause one is intended, and the other is actual.  

• Like 2