Game-Labs Forum

PvP2: Tales of France

Slamz

After the Great Pirate War, France made nice with the Swedes and started poking around west, where they ran into the British. The British were on a path to (allegedly) restore the Danes to power (at the expense of the Swedes) and to additionally claim some "traditional" British ports in the Antilles, perhaps not coincidentally putting them within easy striking distance of France.

Long story short, this did not work out for the British. They also liked to set their port defense timers to 12-14, when apparently they had no one on to defend them, so it was a weekend blitz to totally kick them out of everything east of La Mona with really the only resistance coming from a Chinese guild on the Danish team, who couldn't quite totally screen the British ports against us (and later regretted that whole "making deals with the British" plan they had going).

Let the records show we would have preferred to fight the British in manly stand-up port battles, but if they're going to go around setting their port battle windows to the time when the fewest people are online PvP2, we will eventually make them look silly.

France now anticipates letting the Danes and the Swedes work out the details of who-owns-what in that area, with France's only requirement that we maintain some useful reinforcement windows in the area of Puerto Rico.

What's next for France?

Hard to say.

The big fish are still (presumably) the U.S. and the British. The British are literally in our way, though, and we have no access to the U.S. Our obvious lane of advancement is Hispaniola and the British pac-manned all that up a long time ago, presumably securing their east flank but also incidentally guaranteeing that nobody can fight the U.S. without having to go through Britain to do it.

Will the British cede some interesting ports?

Will France just start taking some interesting ports?

Is the U.S. even still a superpower?

Can anyone withstand Britain's apparent nonstop Victory building train?

Stay tuned, for we again find ourselves facing PvP2's most dangerous threat: the time when France has run out of things to do.

(The last two times this happened, we wiped out the entire pirate team, captured everything east of La Mona and stole someone's Victory.)

• Like 2

From some pirate sources the only reason french came back from the dead was because half of the pirates went to the french side, so I have heard.

Let me sing you the ballad of OMG.  There were 12 of us in Pirates, sick of the "Pirate coalition" or whatever the hell they called themselves.  They refused to PVP, and spent all their time grinding fleets and talking "diplomacy".  We were sick of the lack of PVP, and realized with their proximity of their base of operations (Camp Du Roy) to the French capital, we could easily get the PVP we so much longed for, while also settling personal grudges with certain pirates.  The pirates named this turn of events the "Pirate Red Wedding".

Sung to the tune of "Drunken Sailor":

What will we do with no P-V-P? (x3)

Let's go kill some Pi-rates!

Gank, sink, and make them cry "Frog!" (x3)

F*** you and your Diplo-ma-cy! (x3)

Keep killing them 'til they have no ships (x3)

(Instrumental)

Take seven pirate ports in the first day (x3)

Watch them all run back to Mor-tim-er (x3)

That's what we do with a "Care-bear" na-tion (x3)

Now the Pi-rates fear us!

Edited by Lord Lucifer
  • Like 4

Don't forget the battle of Aves. Where the opportunity of a great European Alliance between France, Britain, and Dutch against the pirates sailed away on British cries of "we need to PvE more" never to be seen again.

Many battle hardened French witnessed this flight and haven't forgotten...

• Like 3

From some pirate sources the only reason french came back from the dead was because half of the pirates went to the french side, so I have heard.

No matter how many times you have been told that 10 to 12 Pirates went French you keep repeating the same garbage over and over. You have the equivalent comprehension skills of a dead piece of wood.  

Is this your only comeback?  You sound like a broken record.  About a dozen pirates went French (30 went British) and that was a month ago.  The French nation doesn't care that some used to be pirates, just like Britain doesn't care that some used to be pirates either.  So if your hope is to antagonize us, you aren't.  I imagine this is your idea of trolling, but frankly if this is your only comeback and it's over a month old, then it's really just a joke where you are the punchline.  I imagine you must be too bitter about loses to say anything resembling "GF" or "we'll get you next time" 

Oh yes, the battle of Aves will always be remembered, where Roberts lead his clan in a glorious retreat in the face of an equal fight against pirates.  We've seen what you do in the face of pirates, so saying France is made of of pirates must mean you fear us.  

Edited by Arbour
  • Like 1

This is like saying "the only reason the British own 90+ ports is because a bunch of people joined them".

Well. Yeah. Okay? What was your point?

The real question isn't who you can get to join you, but who you can manage to keep.

• Like 1

This is like saying "the only reason the British own 90+ ports is because a bunch of people joined them".

Well. Yeah. Okay? What was your point?

The real question isn't who you can get to join you, but who you can manage to keep.

Speaking of which, it looks like the pirates that joined the Brits are leaving the Brits now. Guess what name came up when we asked why they were leaving?

Making enemies within your own nation, that's pretty epic.

• Like 3

Stay tuned, for we again find ourselves facing PvP2's most dangerous threat: the time when France has run out of things to do.

(The last two times this happened, we wiped out the entire pirate team, captured everything east of La Mona and stole someone's Victory.)

Indeed, PvP2 beware.  When you think all is quiet, that's when you should be most worried of the French.  

Indeed, PvP2 beware.  When you think all is quiet, that's when you should be most worried of the French.

For the love of gawd anything but a boring March across Haiti please.

It's time for you Brits to offer up a path so we can go somewhere, see and do something new. If I were you, just saying, I would offer to give up ports that put the French on some front you'd rather not have to deal with.

For the love of gawd anything but a boring March across Haiti please.

It's time for you Brits to offer up a path so we can go somewhere, see and do something new. If I were you, just saying, I would offer to give up ports that put the French on some front you'd rather not have to deal with.

It seems the US has lost a lot of steam. They are getting wrecked pretty bad by Brits/Pirates from what I can see. There is a relatively sizeable force of them around Tombado, but nothing close to the locust swarm they used to be.

It seems the US has lost a lot of steam. They are getting wrecked pretty bad by Brits/Pirates from what I can see. There is a relatively sizeable force of them around Tombado, but nothing close to the locust swarm they used to be.

Yeah, that's the big question in my mind: who's the superpower? Or are Britain and the U.S. evenly matched? I feel like they haven't really been putting much into their war so it's hard to tell. We might literally just have to march though Hispaniola (north path towards pirates and U.S. or south path towards the heart of British territory?) and punch faces until someone starts punching back.

And that's assuming the Brits don't simply counter-attack us soon. Does anyone care about Puerto Rico? I don't know.

I am, actually, slightly sad that the British group WIS was not able to see their dream become a reality. They want to roleplay as the West India Squadron operating out of particular historical British ports in the Antilles. Unfortunately for them, they are not numerous enough or high level enough (or consistently online enough) to defend their ports from a blitz, so their plan can't work. There is no way for a small group, however motivated they may be, to hold a port. Port battle mechanics really favor the big blitz and therefore the big on-site defense, and playing games with port battle timers only works for so long.

Might have been interesting, really, to have a dedicated Brit group holding a port in our backline but we aren't going to play the game with one hand tied behind our back purely to make it seem more sporting. I do hope port battle mechanics can change for the better though, and soon. "Dedication" should count for something; not just the blitz.

Spent most of the last 2 days moving my crap around because the situation is actually TOO fluid.

Set up a base in Plymouth, sent captured 3rd rates there, all ready for a big war, blamo, Brits get surprised, can't defend the port and that's over.

Move all that crap to Viequez. New front! Big new war! Pushed the Brits back over the weekend cause they set all their timers to 12-14 and nobody was on to stop us.

So now I'm moving again to La Mona. Spent more time moving stuff than playing the game because the map is moving too fast.

But, whaddya gonna do.

My tentative plan this week is to alternate grinding out some XP and to harass [REDACTED] shipping around [REDACTED].

But, we'll see.

We didn't plan for what to do after Puerto Rico because we thought it would take longer.

• Like 1

Theme Song for Operation Snappa, "Aka" Puerto Rico

"Kiss From A Rose" Seal

There used to be a graying tower alone on the sea.
You became the light on the dark side of me.
Love remained a drug that's the high and not the pill.
But did you know,
That when it snows,
My eyes become large and
The light that you shine can be seen.
Baby,
I compare you to a kiss from a rose on the gray.
Ooh,
The more I get of you,
The stranger it feels, yeah.
And now that your rose is in bloom.
A light hits the gloom on the gray.
There is so much a man can tell you,
So much he can say.
You remain,
My power, my pleasure, my pain, baby
To me you're like a growing addiction that I can't deny.
Won't you tell me is that healthy, baby?
But did you know,
That when it snows,
My eyes become large and the light that you shine can be seen.
Baby,
Ooh, the more I get of you
The stranger it feels, yeah
Now that your rose is in bloom.
A light hits the gloom on the gray,
I've been kissed by a rose on the gray,
I've been kissed by a rose
I've been kissed by a rose on the gray,
...And if I should fall along the way
I've been kissed by a rose
...been kissed by a rose on the gray.
There is so much a man can tell you,
So much he can say.
You remain
My power, my pleasure, my pain.
To me you're like a growing addiction that I can't deny, yeah
Won't you tell me is that healthy, baby.
But did you know,
That when it snows,
My eyes become large and the light that you shine can be seen.
Baby,
Now that your rose is in bloom,
Yes I compare you to a kiss from a rose on the gray
And now that your rose is in bloom
A light hits the gloom on the gray
Now that your rose is in bloom,
  • Like 4

Yeah, that's the big question in my mind: who's the superpower? Or are Britain and the U.S. evenly matched? I feel like they haven't really been putting much into their war so it's hard to tell. We might literally just have to march though Hispaniola (north path towards pirates and U.S. or south path towards the heart of British territory?) and punch faces until someone starts punching back.

And that's assuming the Brits don't simply counter-attack us soon. Does anyone care about Puerto Rico? I don't know.

I am, actually, slightly sad that the British group WIS was not able to see their dream become a reality. They want to roleplay as the West India Squadron operating out of particular historical British ports in the Antilles. Unfortunately for them, they are not numerous enough or high level enough (or consistently online enough) to defend their ports from a blitz, so their plan can't work. There is no way for a small group, however motivated they may be, to hold a port. Port battle mechanics really favor the big blitz and therefore the big on-site defense, and playing games with port battle timers only works for so long.

Might have been interesting, really, to have a dedicated Brit group holding a port in our backline but we aren't going to play the game with one hand tied behind our back purely to make it seem more sporting. I do hope port battle mechanics can change for the better though, and soon. "Dedication" should count for something; not just the blitz.

Spent most of the last 2 days moving my crap around because the situation is actually TOO fluid.

Set up a base in Plymouth, sent captured 3rd rates there, all ready for a big war, blamo, Brits get surprised, can't defend the port and that's over.

Move all that crap to Viequez. New front! Big new war! Pushed the Brits back over the weekend cause they set all their timers to 12-14 and nobody was on to stop us.

So now I'm moving again to La Mona. Spent more time moving stuff than playing the game because the map is moving too fast.

But, whaddya gonna do.

My tentative plan this week is to alternate grinding out some XP and to harass [REDACTED] shipping around [REDACTED].

But, we'll see.

We didn't plan for what to do after Puerto Rico because we thought it would take longer.

WIS would have loved to oblige you with fun PvP in the area, but unfortunately you decided to wait until 12:55am to attack a port that you knew was held by a group that has never had more than 12 players on-line. (a full 55 minutes after the game was telling us the port timer was closed, so we left to do other things... not your fault, presumably another display 'bug' in the game).

We still managed to get our 7 ships that were online into battle against your 10,000 BR French fleet, and even engaged you at the very first tower.

We thought you wanted PvP, and were surprised to find you still going for the speed cap of the towers.

We were sure we had read you all posting about wanting to fight, and that winning using the BR ratio was wrong?

We can only surmise that you were uncertain of your chances against WIS, since you only had 5:1 odds in your favor... we know you Frenchies are a skittish lot ;)

Seriously though...

Unless something changes I suspect good fights will be harder and harder to come by as time goes on.

Many people have already grown tired of the lack of game content and left, and the game isn't helped by the constant trash talking both in-game and in the forums.

This community has been showing the immaturity of many of its so-called adult players really badly over the last couple of weeks, and thats not a good way to retain a player base.

There are too many other games out there that people can play and have fun, without listening to a constant spew of hate-filled garbage.

Lets hope the community cleans up its act, and the devs get some more meaningful content out really soon, before we lose too many to make this game fun.

We want an age-of-sail game to succeed... i hope we can at least agree on that :)

• Like 1

But, whaddya gonna do.

But, we'll see.

So we were zerging, but it's okay for you to blitz? Very confusing.

WIS would have loved to oblige you with fun PvP in the area, but unfortunately you decided to wait until 12:55am to attack a port that you knew was held by a group that has never had more than 12 players on-line. (a full 55 minutes after the game was telling us the port timer was closed, so we left to do other things... not your fault, presumably another display 'bug' in the game).

We still managed to get our 7 ships that were online into battle against your 10,000 BR French fleet, and even engaged you at the very first tower.

We thought you wanted PvP, and were surprised to find you still going for the speed cap of the towers.

We were sure we had read you all posting about wanting to fight, and that winning using the BR ratio was wrong?

We can only surmise that you were uncertain of your chances against WIS, since you only had 5:1 odds in your favor... we know you Frenchies are a skittish lot ;)

Seriously though...

Unless something changes I suspect good fights will be harder and harder to come by as time goes on.

Many people have already grown tired of the lack of game content and left, and the game isn't helped by the constant trash talking both in-game and in the forums.

This community has been showing the immaturity of many of its so-called adult players really badly over the last couple of weeks, and thats not a good way to retain a player base.

There are too many other games out there that people can play and have fun, without listening to a constant spew of hate-filled garbage.

Lets hope the community cleans up its act, and the devs get some more meaningful content out really soon, before we lose too many to make this game fun.

We want an age-of-sail game to succeed... i hope we can at least agree on that :)

Could not agree with you more Howe, the community need a change around real soon.

I am all for rivalries, it makes the game interesting and exciting to have a player you are at odds with. But it does not need to turn personally offensive. Other games have reporting and banning options for a reason, this is no exception.

o7 Lord Howe, I hope you find fortune in the East.

Regards,

Ravenburg.

Seriously though...

Pretty sure that even after the battle ended the British we're the first to leave the battle while our victory after being firebomb attempted 3 times stayed in the fight until the last man nearly sunk and you all fled.

• Like 1

Speaking of which, it looks like the pirates that joined the Brits are leaving the Brits now. Guess what name came up when we asked why they were leaving?

Making enemies within your own nation, that's pretty epic.

You are a funny little man, pirates that join British will forever remain pirates, i can also not take someone serious that has a name and picture like you.

it seems all your comments are directed at me, I am extremely flattered but mate, but do something else for once, maybe do something in game? from what I have seen the dutch are near the bottom at the moment.

Edited by Lord Roberts

Seriously though...

Trust us, we don't enjoy PvT as much as others don't, we would prefer to fight ship to ship, and if there are ships to fight, we will fight.  But if you are going to set your port timers to times when you don't have people online to defend, that is not France's fault.  France sets their port timers to prime time hours cause we want the opportunity to defend them if possible.  To use port timers as a your only defensive strategy is not going to lead to fights, it just leaves the door open to be blitzed.   

I don't see anything in this thread that can be even remotely called "trash-talking."  This thread talks about French accomplishments, but no where does it say anything negative about the British.  Roberts opened the door on himself with his comments, but most responses to that were clarifying that his statement is only half-true (at best), and the fact he keeps saying it over and over and over. 

Edited by Arbour
  • Like 2

Trust us, we don't enjoy PvT as much as others don't, we would prefer to fight ship to ship, and if there are ships to fight, we will fight.  But if you are going to set your port timers to times when you don't have people online to defend, that is not France's fault.  France set their port timers to prime time hours cause we want the opportunity to defend them if possible.  To use port timers as a your only defensive strategy is not a going to lead to fights, it just leaves the door open to be blitzed.   

I don't see anything in this thread that can be even remotely called "trash-talking."  This thread talks about French accomplishments, but no where does it say anything negative about the British.  

Hi Arbour,

I don't think Howe was speaking about this thread in particular, its quite a healthy thread from what I can read, his comment and my subsequent comment was 'in general'. Some good PVP talk going on here, the French have been making themselves a nation again in the East, something to be celebrated at least. I would like to thank Slamz for taking the time to piece together the current French history as it stands.

I might be totally wrong however, as I assume I will be on the receiving end of French guns eventually!

Cheers,

Ravenburg.

• Like 3

Hi Arbour,

I don't think Howe was speaking about this thread in particular, its quite a healthy thread from what I can read, his comment and my subsequent comment was 'in general'. Some good PVP talk going on here, the French have been making themselves a nation again in the East, something to be celebrated at least. I would like to thank Slamz for taking the time to piece together the current French history as it stands.

I might be totally wrong however, as I assume I will be on the receiving end of French guns eventually!

Cheers,

Ravenburg.

I agree.  "In general" there does need to be better discourse on the forums, but that is hard to accomplish when a completely innocent thread is filled with accusations of "trash-talking" when no such negativity exists.  Who is the negative one in that case?  I hope to see you at the end of my sights, and me at the end of yours.  The more good fights the better.  

• Like 2