Game-Labs Forum

PvP2: Tales of France

Slamz

Of historical note, when the Pirate invasion of the French happen, WIS had ships in the area.  We even had a few skirmishes around Bridgetown.  Instead of helping us when the pirates landed, they gobbled up the ports in the area that were not defended and continued to PvE north of St George.  I thought there was some outreach to them for help but we did not get any from the British nation until the fated Battle of Aves.  WIS then couldn't stop the tide of pirates which flowed into the ports they had captured.  No French help could be given because we were "all hands on deck" at Pedernales.

In this French captain's opinion, WIS missed an opportunity with the French and the British nation missed a opportunity for a valuable ally.

PS.  PORT TIMERS.  Set your port timers if you want a Port Battle fight even if you are outnumbered.  Prime French Example: Pedernales.

Sir,

That isn't remotely accurate. We appealed repeatedly with the French to work together against the Pirates; but several prominent French captains and some British captains with other units made that nearly impossible.

After Aves the French national character became largely pirate, thus sealing your reputations with our nation.

Alas, RvR in this game is messy and unmanageable and needs much development.

• Like 1

Is he supposed to be good at getting under our skin, or making himself look bad?  Hard to tell, cause one is intended, and the other is actual.  

It's more like the child that wants attention. Look at me, look at me! Mommy, mommy, look at me!

• Like 3

For the battle at St. John's against WIS I had personally expected more brits to be defending. Which is one of the reasons we brought such a large fleet to engage. The big push from SoH, SoB, WIS, and TCF into the Antilles suggested to us it would be a long drawn out fight.

After this weekend though, we realized that it was not the case.

The participation of the other clans was mainly so that we could obtain somewhat of a peace agreement in the area (at least re. Ports), hence the port swap where the Swedes gave us St.John in exchange for one of the ones held by Brits.

We wanted to get the fun, small scale fights going in the area again... and having a port away from all the other action, while also working with our RP objective (St Johns did belong to his majesty you know), seemed a good way to do it. The Swedes in particular have always given us good fights, as they were relatively low population and we are a small group.

I'm sure we will be back... some day ;)

• Like 1

The participation of the other clans was mainly so that we could obtain somewhat of a peace agreement in the area (at least re. Ports), hence the port swap where the Swedes gave us St.John in exchange for one of the ones held by Brits.

We wanted to get the fun, small scale fights going in the area again... and having a port away from all the other action, while also working with our RP objective (St Johns did belong to his majesty you know), seemed a good way to do it. The Swedes in particular have always given us good fights, as they were relatively low population and we are a small group.

I think having a British clan/clans in that area would be great but I don't think the current population allows for such a thing right now, with the game losing more and more players each day sadly won't be enough for either nations to have good PVP. SOB tried to be over in that general area but the pirate pressure just became too much and we had to eventually fall back to Haiti to defend Saint Nick and Saint Marc.

Edited by Lord Roberts

Sir,

That isn't remotely accurate. We appealed repeatedly with the French to work together against the Pirates; but several prominent French captains and some British captains with other units made that nearly impossible.

After Aves the French national character became largely pirate, thus sealing your reputations with our nation.

Alas, RvR in this game is messy and unmanageable and needs much development.

To be fair to the rest of my French brethren, your statememt on the French character becoming "largely pirate" is grossly inaccurate. OMG brought over twelve formerly pirate players. We no more changed the French landscape, attitude, and tone then you yourself did. We have, if anything, stayed in line and contributed strategic guidance where asked. We've assisted our allies as we saw fit, and we've fought with the rest of the French nation to first secure French interests and protect our allies. I personally have fought you and yours on a number of occassions and when we've had stand up engagements I'd go so far as to say that beyond the occassional tongue in cheek barb, that we have been relatively cordial. That all said- I have not seen a shift in attitude of those who were French before we came over- except to meet fire with fire. Call that what you will, but the French are no more pirates than you. Edited by Blackknight64
  • Like 1

Sorry, to kill your RP. But you can come try and take it back another day. I'm gonna RP sinking your ships stuffing my face with chips, popcorn, soda, and Bork while I do it.

To be fair to the rest of my French brethren, your statememt on the French character becoming "largely pirate" is grossly inaccurate. OMG brought over twelve formerly pirate players. We no more changed the French landscape, attitude, and tone then you yourself did. We have, if anything, stayed in line and contributed strategic guidance where asked. We've assisted our allies as we saw fit, and we've fought with the rest of the French nation to first secure French interests and protect our allies. I personally have fought you and yours on a number of occassions and when we've had stand up engagements I'd go so far as to say that beyond the occassional tongue in cheek barb, that we have been relatively cordial. That all said- I have not seen a shift in attitude of those who were French before we came over- except to meet fire with fire. Call that what you will, but the French are no more pirates than you.

If my memory serves me correctly the french helped in the coalition against the pirates and after the aves stuff some of the pirates went French and then suddenly the french had a new goal and that was the same as the pirates, whether or not it was only 12 OMG members, those 12 did a lot for France and France is now where it is at because of OMG. 

We had some pirates go British but not enough to sway the entire nation, unike the French.

Edited by Lord Roberts

I actually do look forward to the french pushing up to Hispaniola, it should allow for some better PVP as all clans in Great Britain will be faster to react to port battles :)

I am also looking forward to this, I can't wait to be in the fray! I hope to see massive showings on both sides of the conflict.  :)

To be fair to the rest of my French brethren, your statememt on the French character becoming "largely pirate" is grossly inaccurate. OMG brought over twelve formerly pirate players. We no more changed the French landscape, attitude, and tone then you yourself did. We have, if anything, stayed in line and contributed strategic guidance where asked. We've assisted our allies as we saw fit, and we've fought with the rest of the French nation to first secure French interests and protect our allies. I personally have fought you and yours on a number of occassions and when we've had stand up engagements I'd go so far as to say that beyond the occassional tongue in cheek barb, that we have been relatively cordial. That all said- I have not seen a shift in attitude of those who were French before we came over- except to meet fire with fire. Call that what you will, but the French are no more pirates than you.

Well said Blackknight64, cordial, respectful, honest.

• Like 2

If my memory serves me correctly the french helped in the coalition against the pirates and after the aves stuff some of the pirates went French and then suddenly the french had a new goal and that was the same as the pirates, whether or not it was only 12 OMG members, those 12 did a lot for France and France is now where it is at because of OMG. 

Our main contribution to France as a nation was to engage pirates in PVP as much as possible, and break their wills.  That let the already established French clans the opportunity to take back their ports, we never like to see a nation die off, and do our best to prevent it. (although we did go a bit overkill while hunting pirates)

Sorry, to kill your RP. But you can come try and take it back another day. I'm gonna RP sinking your ships stuffing my face with chips, popcorn, soda, and Bork while I do it.

And we will sink you also Sir.

The difference is that we will still be Gentlemen Captains, while you will still be uncouth rabble ;)

• Like 1

France is where it is now because a nation came together as one voice. OMG PURGE and LMN created that voice.

• Like 1

You misunderstand my point. I'm speaking as to the character of the rest of France. I am not speaking after our contributions to the cause. I do not think them insignificant.

I really like WIS. They are no doubt the best Brit clan I have had the pleasure of fighting. They at least have goals and spirit. They ask for no quarter and can actually play on the open sea's.

I wish more Brits would listen to them. They make the game better regardless of their size. If I was a fresh Brit player those are the guys I would play with. They may not have the numbers but they know how to have fun and you know you will get a fight.  

I hope they find more players like them. I for one want to see more WIS out there.

France is where it is now because a nation came together as one voice. OMG PURGE and LMN created that voice.

and I love that about France now, before they didn't have enough members to do anything against the Pirates and now they are doing well and might finally be able to do something against the tyranny of Great Britain :P

And we will sink you also Sir.

The difference is that we will still be Gentlemen Captains, while you will still be uncouth rabble ;)

Hey, now just because you can't take a joke every now and then doesn't mean I'm uncivilized. It just means you need to start stuffing your face with chips, popcorn, soda, and start Borking while doing it.

• Like 1

You misunderstand my point. I'm speaking as to the character of the rest of France. I am not speaking after our contributions to the cause. I do not think them insignificant.

The character of france before the pirates went france is good, they have never changed just now have more members :)

• Like 1

We had some pirates go British but not enough to sway the entire nation, unike the French.

Perhaps you would like to hire our corsairs? 5 mill per corsair, market value set by slamz.

• Like 3

Hey, now just because you can't take a joke every now and then doesn't mean I'm uncivilized. It just means you need to start stuffing your face with chips, popcorn, soda, and start Borking while doing it.

A side of roast beef and a good bottle of port or brandy, that's more our speed (and possibly a reason for a few near misses when we maneuver.. but that's another story).

• Like 1

The Heart of France Song.

"Sail" - AWOLNATION (Slamz Edition)

Slamz!

This is how I show my love
I made it in my mind because
I blame it on my A.D.D. baby

This is how an angel dies
I blame it on my own supply
Blame it on my A.D.D. baby

Slamz!
Slamz!
Slamz!
Slamz!
Slamz!

Maybe I should cry for help
Maybe I should kill myself (myself)

Maybe I'm a different breed
Maybe I'm not listening
So blame it on my A.D.D. baby

Slamz!
Slamz!
Slamz!
Slamz!
Slamz!

La la la la la
La la la la la oh!
La la la la la,
La la la la la oh!
La la la la la,
La la la la la,

Slamz!
Slamz!
Slamz!
Slamz!
Slamz!

Sail with me into the dark
Slamz!
Slamz!
Slamz!
Sail with me
Slamz!
  • Like 2

The Heart of France Song.

"Sail" - AWOLNATION (Slamz Edition)

Slamz!

This is how I show my love

I made it in my mind because

I blame it on my A.D.D. baby

This is how an angel dies

I blame it on my own supply

Slamz!

Slamz!

Slamz!

Slamz!

Slamz!

Maybe I should cry for help

Maybe I should kill myself (myself)

Maybe I'm a different breed

Maybe I'm not listening

So blame it on my A.D.D. baby

Slamz!

Slamz!

Slamz!

Slamz!

Slamz!

La la la la la

La la la la la oh!

La la la la la,

La la la la la oh!

La la la la la,

La la la la la,

Slamz!

Slamz!

Slamz!

Slamz!

Slamz!

Slamz!

Slamz!

Slamz!

Sail with me

Slamz!

Very well done sir, I see you are very dedicated to your leader :P

Despite the timers actually displaying wrong information (they apparently "round off" 59 minutes of the timer) we were still mounted a defense against a huge attack fleet with 100% of our online players.

To the best of my knowledge, there is nothing wrong with the port timers -- just be aware that "02 - 04" is in UTC, which may have changed relative to your local time if you recently hit daylight savings time.

And also be aware that 02-04 really means a commitment to potentially have to be fighting until 0530 or even later. Potentially it means someone can grab a flag at 0359, sit on it for 57 minutes, drop the flag and start the battle at basically 05, which may run until 0630. We did pick it up late in the window, but it was in the window and we took it straight to the port.

Purge was actually out there rolling heavy well ahead of time, grinding fleets in front of Plymouth, waiting for the other guilds to get ready, and I know a couple of Brits saw us because they were jumping into our fights in Cutters. We figured you guys would be thoroughly tipped off and were watching us to see when we'd move out!

It's funny people called our attack on Fred a zerg but we were met with a full 25 french players ready to defend, I don't believe there has been any zerg on a french port ever, maybe we did to american/spanish ports but never french.

You know, if you REALLY wanted to fight us in that battle, all you had to do was hold off on killing the 5th tower.

Why didn't you do that?

Oh, right, because you are full of [REDACTED].

• Like 1

To the best of my knowledge, there is nothing wrong with the port timers -- just be aware that "02 - 04" is in UTC, which may have changed relative to your local time if you recently hit daylight savings time.

And also be aware that 02-04 really means a commitment to potentially have to be fighting until 0530 or even later. Potentially it means someone can grab a flag at 0359, sit on it for 57 minutes, drop the flag and start the battle at basically 05, which may run until 0630. We did pick it up late in the window, but it was in the window and we took it straight to the port.

Purge was actually out there rolling heavy well ahead of time, grinding fleets in front of Plymouth, waiting for the other guilds to get ready, and I know a couple of Brits saw us because they were jumping into our fights in Cutters. We figured you guys would be thoroughly tipped off and were watching us to see when we'd move out!

You know, if you REALLY wanted to fight us in that battle, all you had to do was hold off on killing the 5th tower.

Why didn't you do that?

Oh, right, because you are full of [REDACTED].

We could have held off on the last tower yes and I guess it did not come to mind? but either way, we were there to win that port.

• Like 1

ah, but the timer was set for 10-12pm (East coast)... 2 hr window (as even your example shows)

You didn't purchase the flag until 12:50am (arriving at the port to plant it right around 1am.)

So, the real window in this case was 10:00pm-12:59am, with presumably another hour after that for you to plant it.

That to me is a bug (or if i'm being generous, another bad piece of the UI).

We are well aware of the extra hour to plant, thats why we stayed at the port until the timer said it had past (at midnight).

It's probably only the fact that we were all drinking port and brandy, while eating our roast beef, that allowed us to still be on-line at all when you attacked... given away not so much by the gathering of ships (or the purchase of the flag) as you were by the gently wafting smell of runny cheese drifting towards St.John on the nights breeze.

• Like 1

I love how every time the stories get told:

• The number of Pirates that re-rolled French grows larger.  
  • The amount the bounty on Slamz' head ultimately got to gets bigger
  • The amount Slamz supposedly paid to get OMG to re-roll gets bigger

This is how legends are made.

• Like 1

I love how every time the stories get told:

• The number of Pirates that re-rolled French grows larger.  
  • The amount the bounty on Slamz' head ultimately got to gets bigger
  • The amount Slamz supposedly paid to get OMG to re-roll gets bigger

This is how legends are made.

To set the record straight, he paid each of us 5mill and gave us a free 3rd Rate.

• Like 1