Game-Labs Forum

PvP2: Tales of France

Slamz

We still do not know if the Danes have a force we can have some fun with PvP and port Battles back and forth or if its just the Chain clan we have heard about. I guess the fun is yet to see if it happens.

Throw AnEra or Choie a PM (good points of contact for CN)

Celestial Navy (the last remaining Danmark-Norge clan) is actually healthy and seem quite up to/interested in good fleet PVP's or PB's.  The only problem may be timezone differences, as most of them are on mid-day UTC.

lots of intresting statments in this thread hahaha.

1. i can only plan these operations around the enemys defense times. so if you dont like my tactics of hitting you when you set your port timers i realy cant help you.

2. i am unaware of any ports being hit outside the 2hr window they have to be hit. i feel you are confuseing these events with us continueing our Op into the zone after the port window by captureing the last 3 ports that had no windows at all. so no exploits were used on my watch. we have noted that there may be a option to do this but it was seen as a exploit and has been outlawed in the french nation to prevent slander of us using exploits as you have thus attempted.

3. 12 pirates went French from OMG. no nother pirate clans came over. 2 pirate clans went brit and 1 went Dutch unsure where the rest went.

4. where have we gained players from??? acutaly we are been getting them from all over as more and more players on the server become to like the apeal of playing a underdog who has spirt and unity.  we also have a vigerus recruitment/Propagana merchine that helps us gain some players. we also just recently had some sweeds move across as they felt working with us to kick out the brit threat would be easyer then fighting as 2 seprate forces. it pains me that they had to do this due to the lack of a proper allance system that would allow us to enter port battles together but them are the brakes.

5. Blitz Vs Zerg VS tactics...  

a blitz as has been said has larger higher level forces move forward at fast speed taking ports at unparreled speed (not what we did)

a zerg is a Massive force able to fill 4-5 port battles at once and overwelm a enemy (yet again not what we did)

Tactics is where you use the limited resources you have to best advantage... (this is what we did)  the first Night of operation Snaper i beleive we had a total of 28 players (not all there at once) so we split into 2 fleets to try and cap multipal ports at once. this is risky as if the brits came in with any ships at any one of those port battles the result would be any ones guess. but you have to work with the tools you have. as it was we almost only got 2 ports the first night. it was lucky that the brits and danes took down our main battle fleet and our 2nd fleet was able to protect the flag carrier long enought for the plant... alot of good ships died getting that flag into place... the 2nd flag was sent in a fleet of 2 ships with little hope it would get throught the dane picket... it was pure luck they got thru and we were able to finish our port battle and reach the port battle in time to get in and finish off that last port.

funny thing is that the 2nd night of operation snaper we had way less players on and were still able to pull it off.

6. i cant always promise that i will do tactics that you or my fellow frenchmen will like but i can say if you put ur port timers on your prime time you will have every chance to defend them but i will still work to make sure the chances of our victory are high.

7. if you think france is just omg you will continue to underestermate us.. me thats fine i will continue to make you pay for your follys.

8. why the Brits think they were helping the danes and sweeds what the french have done HAS HELPED THEM.... so i feel if you look at the 2 solutions side by side the French Solution is better on all counts. the danes and sweeds have a area to work in unfretted by outside infulances and have some friendly French open world PVP ontop. 

all in all i feel the french have done more to sustain this games growth then any other nation. we avoid attacking smaller nations then us unless in self defense and we are willing to fight both the major zergs in US and Britian.   

Edited by mandrake

2. i am unaware of any ports being hit outside the 2hr window they have to be hit. i feel you are confuseing these events with us continueing our Op into the zone after the port window by captureing the last 3 ports that had no windows at all. so no exploits were used on my watch. we have noted that there may be a option to do this but it was seen as a exploit and has been outlawed in the french nation to prevent slander of us using exploits as you have thus attempted.

No one is accusing anyone of exploiting, what Mr.Howe was referring to was the port assault on St. Johns. The window was set for 00-02 according to the in game clock. The flag was not actually purchased until around 0250 according to the in game clock. Whether or not you knew this to be possible and planned for it or not isn't really the point. The point is the in game UI led us to believe the window had expired and thus over half of us waiting in the port to defend had either logged out for the night or decided to use our teleports to go elsewhere.  As far as setting port times you need to realize that we can not even see the times on our own ports or who is lord protector unless we actually sail to every single one. Also half of our port timers cannot be changed due to the people that set them are no longer playing the game. That is what I personally am frustrated about, i don't care that we lost ports I care that we couldn't even put up a fight due to a poorly designed "placeholder UI" that should have been the first thing in this game to get finished, but instead people voted just to add more crap to the temporary UI that honestly doesn't seem to be adding much.

The window was set for 00-02 according to the in game clock. The flag was not actually purchased until around 0250 according to the in game clock

According to my UTC clock converter on my phone it was 1:50 when the flag was purchased.

• Like 1

According to my UTC clock converter on my phone it was 1:50 when the flag was purchased.

I am pretty sure the Brits forgot the conversion to/from server time changed by an hour for daylight savings time. Easy mistake and seems quite unfortunate that ends up being the reason they didn't mount more of a defense.

• Like 1

We had some pirates go British but not enough to sway the entire nation, unike the French.

A clan of 12 pirates joined France. A clan of 60 pirates joined Britain. Granted some of the 60 were inactive members and a select few stayed pirate, but for the 30th time stop saying the french got pirated, they did not. More pirates went Dutch, more pirates went British than pirates went french.

Also that clan that went British went to the Yukatan area.. And SOB laughed them off when they asked for help against the US and they got steamrolled by the US without any assistance from you guys.

Lets say SOB is in no position to criticize anyone in my book.

A clan of 12 pirates joined France. A clan of 60 pirates joined Britain. Granted some of the 60 were inactive members and a select few stayed pirate, but for the 30th time stop saying the french got pirated, they did not. More pirates went Dutch, more pirates went British than pirates went french.

Also that clan that went British went to the Yukatan area.. And SOB laughed them off when they asked for help against the US and they got steamrolled by the US without any assistance from you guys.

Lets say SOB is in no position to criticize anyone in my book.

We can't be everywhere.

• Like 1

lots of intresting statments in this thread hahaha.

1. i can only plan these operations around the enemys defense times. so if you dont like my tactics of hitting you when you set your port timers i realy cant help you.

3. 12 pirates went French from OMG. no nother pirate clans came over. 2 pirate clans went brit and 1 went Dutch unsure where the rest went.

4. where have we gained players from??? acutaly we are been getting them from all over as more and more players on the server become to like the apeal of playing a underdog who has spirt and unity.  we also have a vigerus recruitment/Propagana merchine that helps us gain some players. we also just recently had some sweeds move across as they felt working with us to kick out the brit threat would be easyer then fighting as 2 seprate forces. it pains me that they had to do this due to the lack of a proper allance system that would allow us to enter port battles together but them are the brakes.

5. Blitz Vs Zerg VS tactics...  

a blitz as has been said has larger higher level forces move forward at fast speed taking ports at unparreled speed (not what we did)

a zerg is a Massive force able to fill 4-5 port battles at once and overwelm a enemy (yet again not what we did)

Tactics is where you use the limited resources you have to best advantage... (this is what we did)  the first Night of operation Snaper i beleive we had a total of 28 players (not all there at once) so we split into 2 fleets to try and cap multipal ports at once. this is risky as if the brits came in with any ships at any one of those port battles the result would be any ones guess. but you have to work with the tools you have. as it was we almost only got 2 ports the first night. it was lucky that the brits and danes took down our main battle fleet and our 2nd fleet was able to protect the flag carrier long enought for the plant... alot of good ships died getting that flag into place... the 2nd flag was sent in a fleet of 2 ships with little hope it would get throught the dane picket... it was pure luck they got thru and we were able to finish our port battle and reach the port battle in time to get in and finish off that last port.

funny thing is that the 2nd night of operation snaper we had way less players on and were still able to pull it off.

6. i cant always promise that i will do tactics that you or my fellow frenchmen will like but i can say if you put ur port timers on your prime time you will have every chance to defend them but i will still work to make sure the chances of our victory are high.

7. if you think france is just omg you will continue to underestermate us.. me thats fine i will continue to make you pay for your follys.

8. why the Brits think they were helping the danes and sweeds what the french have done HAS HELPED THEM.... so i feel if you look at the 2 solutions side by side the French Solution is better on all counts. the danes and sweeds have a area to work in unfretted by outside infulances and have some friendly French open world PVP ontop. 

all in all i feel the french have done more to sustain this games growth then any other nation. we avoid attacking smaller nations then us unless in self defense and we are willing to fight both the major zergs in US and Britian.   

I'm not sure you understand #5.  We the Brits were accused of Zerging (Fredrikstad, one PB), not the French, and your own people used the term Blitzing for your nations actions this previous weekend (Multiple PB's), we never accused anything.  I do agree though that it is a war game, and in war you do what is necessary to provide the best possible outcome for your side.

Edited by Fletch Hardy

I'm not sure you understand #5.  We the Brits were accused of Zerging (Fredrikstad, one PB), not the French, and your own people used the term Blitzing for your nations actions this previous weekend (Multiple PB's), we never accused anything.  I do agree though that it is a war game, and in war you do what is necessary to provide the best possible outcome for your side.

I don't think I personally accused Fredrikstad of being a zerg, but I do think [rumor incorrectly said] you were guilty of undercrewing 3rd rates specifically for the purpose of inflating BR and getting to win without a fight -- essentially finding a way to beat the game without having to beat the enemy.

But to be clear, I don't blame you for doing that. I would do that (especially now that undercrewing a 3rd rate at 350 is viable). We should have done that.

I blame the game for allowing that style of play to be dominant. I do believe it ultimately harms the player population but we must play the game that's in front of us, and the game that's in front of us is one that does a lot to reward people who find the best ways of avoiding PvP.

I just hope we can start a general push so the that next time the devs ask "what should our priority be" we can all resoundingly say "PORT BATTLE MECHANICS". It's this game's Achilles heel and a lot of problems stem from it.

Edited by Slamz
  • Like 5

I may be incorrect but I am fairly certain that none of the third rates we brought to that port battle or any others in recent history were under crewed. If someone has proof otherwise I'd like to see it.

They were not, no one is stupid enough to undercrew a 3rd rate, at least on the british side.

• Like 1

I may be incorrect but I am fairly certain that none of the third rates we brought to that port battle or any others in recent history were under crewed. If someone has proof otherwise I'd like to see it.

And having just reviewed the video, i can state categorically that none of the Brit 3rd Rates/Bellonas were under-crewed.

In fact three of them were even sailed by Commodores.

I cant speak for the French 3rd rates, since three were sailed by 'Capitaine de (something cut off by the screen)', which could be anything from 'Master & Commander' thru 'Flag Captain'.

Edit:

And one last time... the battle didn't end when Brits capped the towers at Fred.

One French ship escaped early in the action, and another sank almost two minutes after we had destroyer the last tower, which is what changed the BR ratio to 2:1

If its any consolation, the French did cap the towers at St John in 26 seconds less than the Brits did at Fred, but then you had a 5:1 BR advantage there ;)

Edited by Lord_Howe

They were not, no one is stupid enough to undercrew a 3rd rate, at least on the british side.

Jackalope and I captured a 3rd rate 3 days ago near La Mona, unfortunately I did not get a screen cap.  I do not remember his name, only that he was a [WIP] member, and put up quite a fight.

And having just reviewed the video, i can state categorically that none of the Brit 3rd Rates/Bellonas were under-crewed.

In fact three of them were even sailed by Commodores.

I cant speak for the French 3rd rates, since three were sailed by 'Capitaine de (something cut off by the screen)', which could be anything from 'Master & Commander' thru 'Flag Captain'.

You have a video of this fight? I would like a link so we could review the fight internally. (As long as your voice comms were not recorded as well)

Jackalope and I captured a 3rd rate 3 days ago near La Mona, unfortunately I did not get a screen cap.  I do not remember his name, only that he was a [WIP] member, and put up quite a fight.

You have a video of this fight? I would like a link so we could review the fight internally. (As long as your voice comms were not recorded as well)

Was the 3rd rate undercrewed?

Was the 3rd rate undercrewed?

Is a Post Captain moving a ship around in OW  relevant to an unsubstantiated (and refuted) accusation of Brits stacking BR in a port battle? 

It's twice as effective for a defender to do this... but you don't see us accusing you of it, even though you could well be since we cant see your ranks easily.

You sneaky French men ;)

Is a Post Captain moving a ship around in OW  relevant to an unsubstantiated (and refuted) accusation of Brits stacking BR in a port battle? 

It's twice as effective for a defender to do this... but you don't see us accusing you of it, even though you could well be since we cant see your ranks easily.

You sneaky French men ;)

Naw, that was my good buddy Lord Lucifer refuting Roberts' assertion that, "no brit would be dumb enough to undercrew a third rate."

Naw, that was my good buddy Lord Lucifer refuting Roberts' assertion that, "no brit would be dumb enough to undercrew a third rate."

I believe his statement was directly referring to the accusation of us doing it in a port battle, and the one for Fred in particular... an accusation i am sure will be withdrawn?

You sneaky French men ;)

I am not accusing you of stacking undercrewed anything in a port battle, a month ago that would have been a valid tactic, but now I'm quite sure Britain has plenty of players high level enough to fully crew 25 third rates or higher for a port battle. Again, I would like to request a link for the Fredericksted port battle, for our own internal purposes, pretty sure a France player left the battle right after joining, and other things we would like to address within France. Thank you.

I appreciate the level of maturity all Nations have kept in this topic. (At least recently)

Edited by OMG Lord Lucifer
  • Like 1

I am not accusing you of stacking undercrewed anything in a port battle, a month ago that would have been a valid tactic, but now I'm quite sure Britain has plenty of players high level enough to fully crew 25 third rates or higher for a port battle. Again, I would like to request a link for the Fredericksted port battle, for our own internal purposes, pretty sure a France player left the battle right after joining, and other things we would like to address within France. Thank you.

I appreciate the level of maturity all Nations have kept in this topic. (At least recently)

Are you wanting a picture of the players in that port battle?

BQ5td1U.jpg

Edited by Lord Roberts

I believe his statement was directly referring to the accusation of us doing it in a port battle, and the one for Fred in particular... an accusation i am sure will be withdrawn?

Well, unless Lucifer has been using Slamz as a sock puppet, I don't think he's the one who made the accusation. ;)

Naw, someone had mentioned there was video.  We'd like to watch the video for learning purposes, among other things.

BQ5td1U.jpg

Yes, that helps, but there were also things among the French tactically wise that I would like to review.

Well, unless Lucifer has been using Slamz as a sock puppet, I don't think he's the one who made the accusation. ;)

Naw, someone had mentioned there was video.  We'd like to watch the video for learning purposes, among other things.

Yes, a video was mentioned, I would appreciate reviewing it, if you have voice communications recorded on it, you can easily strip the audio, it would help us show show newer French players what went wrong, and how to prevent it in the future.

• Like 1

I have video.

Alas, it is rather painful for me to watch... as I eat an astonishing number of cannon balls from what felt like the entire French line.

Guess it's dangerous to be the lead ship. 

Having seen the joy with which certain individuals love to use selective pictures to spin their stories, i prefer to keep it to myself, though ill be happy to provide any factual observation i can from my footage. 

If you have a specific question that i might be able to answer then let me know.

I can tell you that I only got a direct view of the stats of a relatively small proportion of the French ships thru the hail of iron. I noticed no monkey business crew wise, and did see a significant number of folks using 'Extra Hammocks', which i thought was interesting.

Bear in mind that it's  also only from my ships perspective (plus tab key views etc)... i rarely have time to detach the camera and zoom around shooting grand sweeping panoramas unless there is so little action that i'm not busy (or i already sank, which is thankfully not quite the case here). I therefor don't know much in the way of detail regarding action on the other side of the battle.

I have video.

Alas, it is rather painful for me to watch... as I eat an astonishing number of cannon balls from what felt like the entire French line.

Guess it's dangerous to be the lead ship. 

Having seen the joy with which certain individuals love to use selective pictures to spin their stories, i prefer to keep it to myself, though ill be happy to provide any factual observation i can from my footage. 

If you have a specific question that i might be able to answer then let me know.

I can tell you that I only got a direct view of the stats of a relatively small proportion of the French ships thru the hail of iron. I noticed no monkey business crew wise, and did see a significant number of folks using 'Extra Hammocks', which i thought was interesting.

Bear in mind that it's  also only from my ships perspective (plus tab key views etc)... i rarely have time to detach the camera and zoom around shooting grand sweeping panoramas unless there is so little action that i'm not busy (or i already sank, which is thankfully not quite the case here). I therefor don't know much in the way of detail regarding action on the other side of the battle.

If anything, being lead ship is glorious, you have bragging rights, and the balls to show for it, to your entire nation.

Our major issue was not continuing to the 5th tower like we started doing, instead we turned around to go back to the 1st tower... which was against the wind.

We like our Extra Hammocks and Crew space enhancements, especially when in a fully crewed ship, it significantly increases performance.

Edited by OMG Lord Lucifer

Post-patch, you can actually reload the broadside of a 3rd rate at 100% speed even with long guns using only 350 crew.

It's not a bad option for PvE and port battles. I wouldn't recommend it for open sea PvP, as having to move people in and out of sailing cuts down on maneuverability.

I'm just trying to help British guildleaders understand basic game mechanics, to help enrich the experience for all. You're welcome!

If its any consolation, the French did cap the towers at St John in 26 seconds less than the Brits did at Fred, but then you had a 5:1 BR advantage there ;)

Yes but that was a problem of the British simply not showing up (or apparently understanding time zone differences).

In Fred, the French had numbers, just not the rank to turn it into a real fight.

Arguably, we should have been undercrewing 3rd rates, which would have at least forced a fight. Only loading one broadside is better than simply forfeiting the battle due to lack of BR but then, we couldn't have known you'd show up with that much BR.

And again, not blaming the British for doing it so much as I am blaming the game itself for creating what amounts to some really stupid, waste-of-time port battle setups that players can't predict or, therefore, accurately work around. In the wider view, Fredericksted is just one example of MANY un-fun port battles created by this game's placeholder port battle system and the flaws inherent in it.