Game-Labs Forum

PvP2: Tales of France

Slamz

Wow... its a miracle... a Slamz post I can sortof agree with ;)

No-one, no matter what sort of PvP badass they like to claim they are, wants to fight (and inevitably lose) against insurmountable odds.

One battle every now and then, just for the glory, sure... but not often.

Equally, not many will get fun for very long fighting in a huge fleet that basically cant lose.

I'm not sure how the game can get the more even and exciting fights going more often, but that's what it needs in order to have a healthy PvP environment. 

I've seen suggestions that BR ratios be used as a multiplier of the end-battle reward, so that a team that outnumbers their opponent 2:1 gets only 50% of the normal reward while the underdog 1:2 team gets double.

Something like this might be in the right direction to encourage people not to stack teams in combat, but im still not sure how you get the right mix of people in the right area at the same time, short of pre-organized battles.

I think POTBS at least made an effort for port battles by inviting players based on their contribution to the conflict (they could then teleport to the battle), and by allowing a long schedule lead time for the fight so that people could make sure they were available. Don't know how you would apply that idea to open sea battles though.

Well, I do like a challenge.  I could argue that Pedernales was pretty hopeless...

However, I think a lot of players carry PotBS Metagaming into NA.  Sure death stacks of 1st rates are pretty unstoppable except for other 1st rate death stacks but OS is dynamic enough that smaller ships can serve.  The BIG thing that may or may not happen is this idea of land inclusion into battles and that's actually really going to favor the smaller ships or ships that can work upwind.  Trapping a group of 1st rates on shallows could be a huge change in how people metagame both OW and within PBs.  I can't wait to test it and see.

• Like 1

I'm not sure how the game can get the more even and exciting fights going more often

I think it's there right now, just for some reason a lot of people don't try it. I can only speculate as to why.

But speed fit Trincom = you can go out and pick your fights and almost always avoid all ganks (especially if you utilize "defensive tagging"). I think most people try to fudge the "speed" part and get disenchanted with the idea. Like they try to use a Frigate (too slow) or a Live Oak Trincom (too slow) or even a Fir/Stiffness Trincom with no speed mods (still a little too slow).

Arguably you could just go out in 5th rates and #yolo into the ganks. I know that hurts the pride a bit but for the labor and materials that go into a single 5th rate, that's a lot of #yoloing, and not all the fights will be terrible.

Whereas getting busted in a Victory is a ton of labor hours and resources and hauling. It makes them play too defensive and just about guarantees they can't find fun.

Perhaps the designers should allow larger ships to battle it out for shallow ports.  Make it so Surps and Cerbs can participate.  Now that would help open up the game a bit more and put more value in at the lower 5th rate level.  Perhaps it is inevitable for all servers to become a PvP 2 at some point and a yearly wipe being done to square the field....who knows?  Right now, PvP1 is rabid with action......

-Ski

The easiest solution is to just remove the rate ships from the player build able ships. Make them rare and only granted by the king or gov for a merit award. The standard port battle ship should be a frigate or 4th rate. SOB was sailing around with more rate ships themselves than the historical Carribean ever saw. Game masters simply can not expect players to limit themselves. Many, from the first day they started playing, put them selves on a grinding treadmill to the top and they weren't going to stop till they got there.

The easiest solution is to just remove the rate ships from the player build able ships. Make them rare and only granted by the king or gov for a merit award. The standard port battle ship should be a frigate or 4th rate. SOB was sailing around with more rate ships themselves than the historical Carribean ever saw. Game masters simply can not expect players to limit themselves. Many, from the first day they started playing, put them selves on a grinding treadmill to the top and they weren't going to stop till they got there.

What difference does it make which ship is the top ship one can get? As long as everyone has access to it I don't really see why it matters. Everyone topped out at a Trincom or Victory, the end game is still the same.

I am the coal lord!

2ZOnfqR.jpg

The point being, this game is what you make it. Today I learned where to get coal. Unfortunately, the french took my coal hunting ship shortly thereafter. Now I must obtain a new coal hunting ship. 

There's plenty of pvp around mort/tortue/W Haiti if you look for it.

Edited by snackbar

I always kick teeth in in my live oak, planking frigate and trincoms. You can succeed with that kind of build, but it requires a very aggressive playstyle.

My live oak, planking, merc almost sank a frigate when ganked by the same and a trincomalee. 

I've sank in that heavy build due to jumping into fights I cant win (out rated, outnumbered) more than anything else.