Game-Labs Forum

Ships should have the same durability as their rate

I've seen numerous concerns about larger ships being too common and "disposable". I think it would go a long way towards alleviating this concern if we assigned durability equal to the ships' rate, or equal to the level of crafting note required to build the ship, see:

High note: 1 dura

Mid note: 3 dura

Low note: 5 dura

Otherwise we'll just descend into ships of the line everywhere, which would be fine for Europe, but not so much for the Caribbean.

• Like 2

Honestly, I think all ships should have 1 durability only. This should go along with lower crafting requirements of ships and modules. 5 durability is just too much.

And how would one dura across the board encourage more pvp? Players are already afraid to fight as is.

• Like 1

And how would one dura across the board encourage more pvp? Players are already afraid to fight as is.

Cheaper ships... look at the EVE. Every ship is unique and thousands of them are burned every day. Willing to PVP is only a state of mind dude.

• Like 1

Cheaper ships... look at the EVE. Every ship is unique and thousands of them are burned every day. Willing to PVP is only a state of mind dude.

ships already are cheap. People don't PVP for other reasons. Reasons the designers are unwilling to discuss.

Edited by Quineloe
  • Like 1

ships already are cheap. People don't PVP for other reasons. Reasons the designers are unwilling to discuss.

Well I have no problems finding PVP for myself. I am speaking about viable solo/small gang targets. It is not plenty, but they are here.

Generally people tend to be carebears too much. Give them a chance to gather wealth and shoot harmless NPCs and they will do it. They do not like to lose, but there is actually no real win without taking a risk. It is simple as that. Most of people are sheep, PVPers are the wolves.

I think there should be no safezone or newbie friendly mechanics in the game. The loss of a virtual ship costs you literally nothing, only your self confidence. If you can learn from this experience you will overcome the problems and be good at the game. If you do not, then you will most likely start to flood forums with topics like: more durability to ships please, make no PVP zones on the PVP server, give us unconquerable ports to keep us carebearing at any time and reduce the teleport times...

Guys wake up, the loss of the ship costs you nothing. You do not need the biggest ship to be successful in NA. For example the Surprise costs 200-300k and comes with 5 durability, that is 40-50k per life. You earn that much from running 1 captain mission, participating in killing 1 NPC fleet or killing another player in PVP. Do not be scared. Experiment and you will be rewarded.

Problem is, even if you take away "newbie protection" or safe zones, it wont accomplish anything, just will open space for griefers. If one is unwilling to PVP, you cant force him to do that. unless you remove PVE completely (and most propably that player from the game). Good example is World of Warships, where there are (few) people actually playing only coop against bots, despite waaay lower income.  And we need those "carebears" to keep up population high enough, if only for the benefit of in game economy (and the game as such). Not all crafters or traders are willing to do PVP, they wish to craft and trade. And new players already have much on their plate when they start. Live and let live guys, as you said yourself, there is plenty of pvp to find anyway.

Problem is, even if you take away "newbie protection" or safe zones, it wont accomplish anything, just will open space for griefers. If one is unwilling to PVP, you cant force him to do that. unless you remove PVE completely (and most propably that player from the game). Good example is World of Warships, where there are (few) people actually playing only coop against bots, despite waaay lower income. And we need those "carebears" to keep up population high enough, if only for the benefit of in game economy (and the game as such). Not all crafters or traders are willing to do PVP, they wish to craft and trade. And new players already have much on their plate when they start. Live and let live guys, as you said yourself, there is plenty of pvp to find anyway.

Going after traders and care bears is not griefing, it's a PVP server, you have a shiny, I want shiny. Everyone has the opportunity to do it. The reason people do it is because risk/reward. It's very rewarding if you don't get caught, however, if you do get caught... It's not griefing.

As for the new player argument... Don't want to lose that pickle? Sail a cutter. But eventually you gotta grow a pair and move on, it is a pvp server after all.

Don't want the risk? See below...

"There is PvE server, whats the problem?

If you want PvE go there and don't bother more about it."

^ this.