Game-Labs Forum

Renommee vs Trincomalee

Which one of these ships makes the better downwind tackler for fleets? I have built an exceptional fir Renommee with exceptional speed and have used it so far. The speed is amazing but the lack of bow chasers is problematic. Many times I am faster than targets, but cannot catch them because I need to turn to broadside every minute to keep them in battle. I have yet to build a decent Trincomalee so I want some opinions on it before I sink resources into an exceptional fir Trinc.

Trincomalee:

+Bow chasers

+Can fight very well

-major speed slump @ 105 degrees from wind

-no stern chasers 

Renomee:

+Fastest ship in the game

-Weaker than most 3 masters in combat

-no bow chasers

A Trinc built for speed with the right upgrades is going to catch anything but a Renomee built with the same specs. You'll also have 75 more peeps to board and more than double the firepower for decrewing/demasting/stripping armor, etc. Then again, the higher BR means the enemy might be able to call reinforcements on you easier.

I know with the 4 bow chaser on the trinc can hit most Rens even with speed.  with that they have a hard time escaping my Trinc.   i use cannonball instead of chain to tag my targets and still do damg to sails... had a Runawaymee  try to flee and with 4 chaser i was able to hit his sail and bring his down to 85% in less then 5 min which cut his speed down by at least 3-4knts which helped me get caught up.

Fir trincs are squishy. In actual combat they can take 2-3 broadsides. An entire squad of them can only gank. In equal or unfavorable combat they will not stand up.

but not all trincs are made of fir....frigs and down are easy for an experienced trinc Capt.