Game-Labs Forum

Missions are still a waste of time with the rewards

Missions should give better xp not gold. The past couple days joining a large fleet battle vs a.i and you get clan members telling you to f*** off and leave the battle. Very nice. Start a battle and accidentally pull in some clan members and get more insults thrown your way. I love pvp but most of the time trying to find a fair pvp fight can be impossible as you either end up running from superior numbers or end up chasing inferior numbers. Some times i just like to relax do some missions and level up because of this. So it would be nice if my time was worth the effort.

It sucks for guys like me who will really never be able to join a clan, but the clans I typically see are normally accepting of my presence so far.

Missions should give better xp not gold. The past couple days joining a large fleet battle vs a.i and you get clan members telling you to f*** off and leave the battle. Very nice. Start a battle and accidentally pull in some clan members and get more insults thrown your way. I love pvp but most of the time trying to find a fair pvp fight can be impossible as you either end up running from superior numbers or end up chasing inferior numbers. Some times i just like to relax do some missions and level up because of this. So it would be nice if my time was worth the effort. 

If you've got clan members telling you to fuck off and leave a.i. battles regardless of how either one of you got into one, than you're in the wrong damn clan. This is where FF on/off ability on clan members could change that attitude REAL quick. Hell, next time simply grab the largest ship you can, join a battle w/them and simply capsize their sorry asses and exit stage left. No FF actions required, simply *cough* poor sailing *cough* :blink:

Last night we were hitting a triple Consti AI fleet (think it had a few smaller ships with it), We had 5 players with a frigate, Consti and 3 trincos. We sank the AI in 30 mins and got ~1k XP. The fleet spawned again so we went straight back in and did it again.

This I feel is the level that flag captain/commodore missions need to be. Not possible solo but setup for a group to do it and giving roughly 1k XP for 30/45 minutes of RL time (so including sailing time to get there).

And for the love of god let us take three of the same missions from a single port. Open world sailing is good, but it gets tedious when you are trying to grind missions. Plus people will use repair kits between battle which partially offsets the gold influx.

As Maturin said, at least on the PvP server, missions were only added because it was hard to find fights.  At the moment, they're not supposed to be a rich, rewarding feature that you hammer over and over again all day long.  They're filler, something to do when PvP is quiet.

People always complain about missions being boring and grindy - stop grinding them and sail over to a place where you can fight players.  You'll have a ton more fun and get rewards to boot.

see, here is a problem, there exists something called a pve server where pvp dont exist. if it was made for a reason or not, i cannot tell, but it is here, and it is mainly for u.s tz players. so we eu players has no option but to do missions as there is no more then 50-80 ppl online in the whole server if i understand the counter correctly.

and in that server there should be a big variarity of non pvp content, and missions should reward better, as it is the only thing to do there. no point in doing fleethunts when the players who has the big ships are sleeping as they are 6-9h behind us in eu. i see more french bigship ai fleets then i do british human players around PR.

only when it is night time in eu does the pve server come to life.

see, here is a problem, there exists something called a pve server where pvp dont exist. if it was made for a reason or not, i cannot tell, but it is here, and it is mainly for u.s tz players. so we eu players has no option but to do missions as there is no more then 50-80 ppl online in the whole server if i understand the counter correctly.

and in that server there should be a big variarity of non pvp content, and missions should reward better, as it is the only thing to do there. no point in doing fleethunts when the players who has the big ships are sleeping as they are 6-9h behind us in eu. i see more french bigship ai fleets then i do british human players around PR.

only when it is night time in eu does the pve server come to life.

Sorry to say it's been my understanding that in the original plan PVE only servers were not considered. It was only after a small group of potential players complained that it was added.

The primary focus should remain on the PVP aspect of the game.

If you have a ship befitting your rank, you can accept missions one rank lower for a trivial push over fight that will reward you exceptionally well.

Missions are too good, unrealistic (unlimited supply of pirates in big ships at any port when there are NONE on the open world?) and make solo hunting on the open world remarkably unattractive.

The missions are kind of dull if you have a ship that is basically guaranteed to win.

The really big problem with the PvE server in general is just that all the PvE content in the game currently is pretty much a guaranteed win unless you royally screw up. It's just time in -> reward out. That's not necessarily a bad system to have somwhere in the game just to ensure that people always have some way to re-establish themselves, but ironically it doesn't work in that one capacity where it would be a good thing, because you need a ship that's appropriate to your rank to get those easy wins.

From my perspective the PvE aspect of the game should ideally work more like Mount & Blade where missions are randomly generated, but the intersection of multiple random systems can create crazy situations. You might get a mission where all you need to do is talk to someone, and if they just happen to be in the house next door, hey, easy peasy. On the other hand, if they were imprisoned by a rival faction you might have to fight your way through a whole enemy army and storm a fort to have a word with the guy. Half the quest might simply be running around finding informants who even know where your target is.

Well Aetrion, at rank 1 and 2, I've run away from a mission battle way more then I've won. Rank 3, start to win more regularly, Rank 4, missions are a waste of time unless it's with a group of friends. Trading, boarding traders or capping fighting ships, attacking fleets, much more fun.

The levels sucks in this game so bad, its no wonder it has not driven more people away.

They should just throw out leveling all together. Ranks should be connected to some political system and ships should be connected to money only. If you start out day 1 and someone gives you millions of gold you should be able to buy a decent ship and man it from day 1.

If they focus on the economy and make money drive everything the game will be alot better. Crew size should be determined by money, you should have to pay your crew each day and you can hire as many as you can afford. higher tier ships and crew numbers should be a money drain hence, if you want to stay in that 1st-3rd rate daily you better have a good source of income coming in.

I love trading and would like to see them do more with it but as it stands right now money is a bit worthless, and trading takes you away from grinding xp. I love running trade routes, and would do so much more of it but I can't because hours spent running trade is hours lost grinding xp.

Edited by Dutchmaster

The levels sucks in this game so bad, its no wonder it has not driven more people away.

They should just throw out leveling all together. Ranks should be connected to some political system and ships should be connected to money only. If you start out day 1 and someone gives you millions of gold you should be able to buy a decent ship and man it from day 1.

If they focus on the economy and make money drive everything the game will be alot better. Crew size should be determined by money, you should have to pay your crew each day and you can hire as many as you can afford. higher tier ships and crew numbers should be a money drain hence, if you want to stay in that 1st-3rd rate daily you better have a good source of income coming in.

I love trading and would like to see them do more with it but as it stands right now money is a bit worthless, and trading takes you away from grinding xp. I love running trade routes, and would do so much more of it but I can't because hours spent running trade is hours lost grinding xp.

Name one successfull age of sail econ only game like you are proposing.

The xp grind is entirely too harsh. Most of the people i started early access with, and had on friends list have quit because of it. Gold is fine.

These are the kinds of comments the Devs should be listening to.

I am now at 70hrs in, and worked my ever loving ass off to keep ahead of the ship/craft disparity curve.

Level 4 and 15 respectively.  

If capture gave extra XP based on BR, there was a bit of XP spread around for just participating in group action, and XP was not almost totally based on "shoot it in the hull", it would be a better game.

I could see a "wealth and prestige" supplement to XP if done right from traders. In addition to the crew that come along because of level, you also have to hire on extra crew to fill the gap.

But doing it right would mean that if you went broke, you suddenly find yourself unable to hire the necessary crew, and it should be bloody expensive to do. First guess would be in the range of 10 gold per crew per "day at sea" with a fight bonus of 100 gold per hired crew and paid twice if hired crew die and are "repaired".  

That way a single "day at sea" for a 500 crew ship would cost you 5k, and 50k if you got into a fight.

Right now broke still means you can populate the largest ships with crew if your the right level.

Edited by KrakkenSmacken

I could see a "wealth and prestige" supplement to XP if done right from traders. In addition to the crew that come along because of level, you also have to hire on extra crew to fill the gap.

But doing it right would mean that if you went broke, you suddenly find yourself unable to hire the necessary crew, and it should be bloody expensive to do. First guess would be in the range of 10 gold per crew per "day at sea" with a fight bonus of 100 gold per hired crew and paid twice if hired crew die and are "repaired".  

That way a single "day at sea" for a 500 crew ship would cost you 5k, and 50k if you got into a fight.

Right now broke still means you can populate the largest ships with crew if your the right level.

if you added the crew maintenance cost to this game it would be dead to me. bc you are now not just risking your ship in pvp or pve you are now charging people to do battle / traveling. yea it was realistic  and such back in the day but to add something like this would halt progression even further then it already is.

• Like 1

if you added the crew maintenance cost to this game it would be dead to me. bc you are now not just risking your ship in pvp or pve you are now charging people to do battle / traveling. yea it was realistic  and such back in the day but to add something like this would halt progression even further then it already is.

I used the word "supplement" for a reason.  

As in you current crew levels are free by rank, like they are now, but you could choose to supplement your crew by hiring more. So if you were 10 crew short of full due to rank, say Cerberus (195) at level 4 (150 cap) you could add in a few extra (45) if you had the gold to spend.

That may not have been clear with the rest of what I said, but my intent was to allow people who are more interested in trading than fighting to offset XP grind time with money earning grind time, not to replace the entire current system.