Game-Labs Forum

Queen Ann's Revenge boss ship, And different Pirate flags

I am hoping that later patches will bring into the fray more well known ships but as playing for the pirates i would like to see a very well known ship brought into the game as a top level Pirate ship ''Queen Ann's Revenge''. 

''Queen Anne's Revenge was a frigate, most famously used as a flagship by the pirate Blackbeard (Edward Teach). She had been launched by the Royal Navy in 1710, and captured by France in 1711. She was used as a slave ship by the French, and was captured by pirates in 1717. Blackbeard used the ship for less than a year,[3] but captured numerous prizes using her.'' Pulled from Wiki

Again i am sure that the developers are or if not will look into these types of ships.

I would also like to see a few more type of Pirate flag to make a bit more fear/renown to set player/clans that have their own flags as many Pirates would of had.

post-20222-0-55623800-1456148130_thumb.jpg

post-20222-0-28756500-1456148159_thumb.jpg

post-20222-0-12796200-1456148388_thumb.jpg

You can go find the Single Events versus the 3rd rate ( not sure about the rank needed to enter ) . Would make this happen for you as you imagine.

Good luck.

Other than that you can go face a more QARish setup at 1st Lt. single event versus a damn nasty AI Navy Brig.

No ship in game is true 100% as it would have been the game allows for some ''Artistic Licence'' and the point of the post is not to measure poles on the issue its to suggest that we the pirate nation be given a boss ship the brits have HMS Victory etc why not we have a ship to match and all must remember that pirate were win or run kind of guys so they preferred fast smaller ships to run from the fleets. So again its to say hey can we have a famous pirate ship.

Queen Anne's Revenge was smaller than Cerberus. 'Artistic license' would be putting some truck nuts on the counter.

QAR-Fr%C3%A9gate%20Mus%20Mar.jpg

No one knows exactly what she looked like, but this is the representative image the archaeological mission chose. It's just a French 'frigate,' but at least it's period-appropriate.

The QAR at its peak would have been classed as a 5th (~44 guns) rate warship. Even so it would have been similar in size to a medium(ish) corvette. "Frigate" is probably used loosely here. 

Right now the ship named "Pirate firgate" is probably our best comparison atm.

No ship in game is true 100% as it would have been the game allows for some ''Artistic Licence'' and the point of the post is not to measure poles on the issue its to suggest that we the pirate nation be given a boss ship the brits have HMS Victory etc why not we have a ship to match and all must remember that pirate were win or run kind of guys so they preferred fast smaller ships to run from the fleets. So again its to say hey can we have a famous pirate ship.

The bigger issue here is that we as pirates shouldn't be running around trying to match the nationals, especially in line-combat. The pirate mechanic seriously needs top be reworked, but that's a rant I've had elsewhere and to be continued another day

Edited by William the Drake
  • Like 3

The bigger issue here is that we as pirates shouldn't be running around trying to match the nationals, especially in line-combat. The pirate mechanic seriously needs top be reworked, but that's a rant I've had elsewhere and to be continued another day

I don't want to derail the thread myself but I agree. Pirates are already crafting 3rd rates in the game as we speak. I can't help but think something is awry when pirates are building more volume and larger ships than anyone else.

*edit* I completely agree with your status as well

• Like 1

I completely agree with all that has been said i just would like to see some of the more well know ships to be brought to pirate nation, i fully understand 3rd rates are better and more bang for buck but didn't suit the pirate way. Im also not saying we should be handicapped and left with the smaller as true to pirate i am aware that the mechanics of the game and the point is domination so this kinda flows against pirate way etc. could chase our tales on that subject. 

FYI i found a list of pirate captains and the name of the ships they sailed with a little info on them if anyone wants a look.

http://www.vleonica.com/ship_cap.htm

The QAR at its peak would have been classed as a 5th (~44 guns) rate warship. Even so it would have been similar in size to a medium(ish) corvette. "Frigate" is probably used loosely here. 

Right now the ship named "Pirate firgate" is probably our best comparison atm.

QAR was almost certainly over-gunned by adding light armament to the upper works. 40 guns sounds impressive, until you realize that you can take a dwarfish ship the size of Mercury and encumber its upper works with guns. Twelve guns below, ten above, and that gets you 40.

A 44-gun 5th Rate in the early 1720s was a real two-decker, and much larger (albeit likely slower).

The best point of comparison is Renommee, from an appearance standpoint. Probably a fair bit longer, but you can see how Renommee could be up-gunned to reach 40. Doesn't make her a 5th Rate.

The game's Pirate Frigate could not be more different, in terms of design, caliber of armament (18-pdrs!) and length of gundeck.

• Like 2

It's a shame that serious sources on pirate vessels are so difficult to find amidst all the internet Hollywood fluff.

Take the Whydah Galley. There are dozens of references to her making 13 knots, but no one ever cites shit. Even National Geographic just repeats the hearsay.

I hope this does not come across as harsh, as it is not intended to be, but honestly I would be a little irked if we started throwing things like this in. We are certainly in a post French Revolution time frame, making the QAR sorely out of place and out of date. I accept that not everything will be realistic (aka, giant pirate nation existing), but things like this become immersion breaking after a certain point. That, and as others have posted, the QAR is not anywhere near the class of vessel you posted in your pictures. 

• Like 2

I hope this does not come across as harsh, as it is not intended to be, but honestly I would be a little irked if we started throwing things like this in. We are certainly in a post French Revolution time frame, making the QAR sorely out of place and out of date. I accept that not everything will be realistic (aka, giant pirate nation existing), but things like this become immersion breaking after a certain point. That, and as others have posted, the QAR is not anywhere near the class of vessel you posted in your pictures. 

There is no "Point-in-Time" for the game. The Devs have stated that ship designs will come from anywhere between 1600-1850 (rough dates) or 1690(?)-1830 (preferred dates). this would mean that the QAR would be historically accurate as far as timeframe goes. 

There is no "Point-in-Time" for the game. The Devs have stated that ship designs will come from anywhere between 1600-1850 (rough dates) or 1690(?)-1830 (preferred dates). this would mean that the QAR would be historically accurate as far as timeframe goes. 

Forgot about those timelines, although have we seen anything pre-1700? I'll admit, it will feel really out of place watching a Constitution (especially if flying the colors of the United States) fighting something that should be carry sakers. 

Edited by Tennessee88

''Queen Anne's Revenge was a frigate

Wasn't it a Merchant ship?  which was subsequently then captured by the French and modified to look like a Fluyt.  And after it was captured by Blackbeard she was fitted with larger cannons. 

Edited by Yorkie