Game-Labs Forum

Looking to purchase

Hello all.  Small introduction here.  I was a former PoTBS player.  I was in the original closed beta for that game and played for many years up until power and prestiege was released.  I just wanted to see how many of you old hats from the good old days are playing this game.

I'm debating on trying this game but the alpha stage has me worried.  I've looked all over youtube at reviews and gameplay but I cannot come to the justification of paying essentially full price for half of a game.  How does it compare to other Age of Sail styled games?  Is the community as awesome as I remember PoTBS was back in the hayday?  I can pick up that this game has a lot of influence from Pirates and it's the whole nostalgia factor that is making me want to buy it.  I just need that final little push from the community to say hey.  Buy the damn game and have fun.

/tiphat

I have spent more money on so called "Full games" that are considerably worse than the current version of NA.There are NO other Age of Sail, games that come remotely close to this game,week by week the game gets better and better.If you want a game that has 12 million sq Miles of playing area,Trading/Crafting and Combat along with historical Ships,then NA IS the ONLY rational Choice!

• Like 3

I knew it was in Alpha when I bought it. To be honest, you may want to get a feel for the game while it's still being developed before it is "a full game". By that time it will be flooded with thousands of new players. As it is now, it is a game that can be fun to play. I recommend buying it now rather then later. It will also contribute funds and encourage the developers to work on it. It's a win-win in the end for the devs and the players.

Cheers,
Admiral 8Q

• Like 2

Best £29.99 I've spent. Keep in mind when it goes full release you don't have to pay any extra.

People say it lacks content, but it's one of those games were you make your own content via battles, PVP, politics, playing with guild etc.

TBH, if this was the full game in its current state, I would be happy.  The great thing is it's only going to get better with more content etc.  Steam says I've logged 200 hours. I've had more enjoyment in here than many tipple A games I've played.

Buy it, try it for 1.5 hours. If you regret it, file for a refund. Though to be fair, 1.5 won't really do it justice. Things don't start to get interesting until you're out of the basic cutter (starter ship).

Edited by Long Beard
  • Like 2

Things don't start to get interesting until you're out of the basic cutter (starter ship).

I disagree. I was having fun with a basic cutter  as my fighting ship up to just before I reached 4th rank. I captured alot of trade ships though and went around in them learning how to trade. Although, going from a basic cutter to a snow at 4th rank was quite a leap. I learned alot about fighting in the basic cutter, especially as it got tougher with each rank. 

But hey, that just shows that the game is what you make of it, like you said!

• Like 2

I'd say bite the bullet and just buy it, I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy the game ;) To me it appears as a mix between PotBS and EVE, taking (in my opinion) the best of both, and adding a new flavour to it as well.

The only way for you to know whether you're going to like it or not is by playing it tho

• Like 1

Buy it. Great game. I have never played any other age of sail game. Never played another MMO. Since NA I've tried a little ED. I like using a Lynx and a Cutter. Good fun. Some helpful players here.

This game is good. Not sure what you or your friends are looking for but I can't imagine not getting your money's worth. There is so much room for improvement but it is currently a beautiful fasinating experience.

If you want a high paced arcade combat game I suggest you try the small/large battles. If they are still too boring perhaps this game is too slow for you.

Buy it.

I had the same worries, for an early access game it is expensive for what i usually pay. That said since the Steam release i already have 245 hours logged. It's by far the best age of sail game i've seen to date. I would recommend this game to anyone who has interest in age of sail or any kind of naval warfare without a doubt. 

• Like 1

I'm finding Naval Action to be a lot of fun, it reminds me of PotBS before they put all that silly avatar stuff in. The combat is fantastic, working your sails and aiming your shots takes time to master but is very rewarding. There's a lot to add still but what's already here is a solid foundation, I've had 1 crash in the 545 hours I've played since end of December. They've been putting patches out at a steady pace too. We're getting more advanced crew management soon and production buildings after that. The economy/crafting system is pretty similar to PotBS so you'll pick it up right away with that's your thing. 

• Like 1

This is a one time cost game. Not a pay to play for a certain amount of time, or "pay to win" game.
There may be custom skins for your ships that you can pay to buy later on, or custom flags, "eye candy", that sort of thing. I think that is a great idea.

I've looked all over youtube at reviews and gameplay but I cannot come to the justification of paying essentially full price for half of a game.

This always struck me as an odd way of looking at Early Access titles. You buy into them if they are something you're interested in, in effect, you're paying full price for the full game, its just not finished yet.

Basing your opinion of the game on the part of the product that is available now, and then never playing it again later in development would be the only time where buying into an EA title and "paying full price for half a game" would make sense.

• Like 1