Game-Labs Forum

Espiritu Santo won to the US navy

Gaizka

Today the US navy forgot to put a timer after conquering Espiritu Santo

Spain (desorganized and defeated as it is) took advantage of the mistake (if it was a mistake and not a present to us to cheer us up a bit  :D ) and took the port back for the Spanish nation.

It is the first time somthing like this happens. 

We found no oposition from the US navy (since they were all sleeping) and learning from our enemies we have put a timer that we think is the middle of the night in the US.

Since you have several hours from the east to the west coast we think some of you may wake up early and take it back. Good luck with that.

For us the experience was boring as hell.

We prefer 100 times yestedays  defeat at Puerto Real that todays victory at Espiritu Santo.

All my recognition to the US nation who has gone throgh this hell of boredome for more than 30 times stright :lol:  

Gaizka

Bastardos sin Gloria Diplo

• Like 4

learning from our enemies we have put a timer that we think is the middle of the night in the US.

Lel. 

This again? 

The Timer's have been put in game for nations to set the timer for the time when they can best defend the port. 

The US have the most players online at 04-06 which means that is when we can best protect our ports. 

Btw. good luck. It's not like you have not tried this before. :)

Thanks a lot guys.

Just a question that came to our mind when we finally managed to to conquest a port from you. 

Do you have fun taking the ports when no one is defending them?

I mention it because killing IA towers with 10 frigates and surprises is "challenging" but not very fun to say it politely. Doing it with 3rd rates and constits has to be trivial and quite boring.

On the other hand with other players it is quite fun (still not my favourite pvp at all but...)

I have looked for a thread regarding how devs plan to improve the ports battles, but havent managed to to find any.

Gaizka

Bastardos sin Gloria Diplo.

May I just clarify that the timer was set at the time of conquest. It was set, confirmed, and checked again. For some reason, whatever it was, the timer did not activate after maintenance.

Either way, congratulations and well done  :)

I can confirm, I was there for the port battle and we even joked about trying to make Stephen paranoid by asking him if he'd set the timer when we were halfway along to the next port, so he's have to go back.

I don't know why it didn't seem to stick, but I'm glad the Spanish can experience what we've been doing.

We found no oposition from the US navy (since they were all sleeping) and learning from our enemies we have put a timer that we think is the middle of the night in the US.

Since you have several hours from the east to the west coast we think some of you may wake up early and take it back. Good luck with that.

For us the experience was boring as hell.

We prefer 100 times yestedays  defeat at Puerto Real that todays victory at Espiritu Santo.

All my recognition to the US nation who has gone throgh this hell of boredome for more than 30 times stright  :lol:  

Gaizka

We're in complete agreement we much prefer a fun PvP fight, and look foreward to when the game is able to allow that to happen in a balanced way. Good job taking advantage of the gap in our defenses. I admire the spirit you guys have, still looking to grab a victory where you can, even when things have seemed totally against you.This gives me hope that as changes are made and the balance is found that the Spanish faction will turn out to be a tough foe and respected faction.

Edited by theprof739

Do you have fun taking the ports when no one is defending them?

I mention it because killing IA towers with 10 frigates and surprises is "challenging" but not very fun to say it politely. Doing it with 3rd rates and constits has to be trivial and quite boring.

It's incredibly boring, and it sucks.  We don't do it because we want to take your ports, we do it for a larger strategic picture.  (Eliminating combat fronts, creating a reserve, that sort of thing.)  Going to suck having to do it all over again, but, that's the nature of early access.

Maybe there is a solution for the Port Battles.  When one is initiated, a pop up for the ship classes need pops up to all players of that nation to be ported to the battle?  Like they do in other MMO's when you queue for Dungeons or PVP and then when it's ready it pops up and if you're ready then you click yes, if not, then click no.  What do you all think?

• Like 3

"Maybe there is a solution for the Port Battles.  When one is initiated, a pop up for the ship classes need pops up to all players of that nation to be ported to the battle?  Like they do in other MMO's when you queue for Dungeons or PVP and then when it's ready it pops up and if you're ready then you click yes, if not, then click no.  What do you all think?"

"I'm against teleports to capitals, let alone to fights! D: "

I agree with you both. Port battles need a solution and teleports take out some of the "realism" of the game. IMHO a good solution would be a 24 hour timer so the defenders have 24 hours time to prepare the defence and take the "right" ships to the fight.

Although I am not happy with teleportations I recognize some kind of teleportation is necesary.

Gaizka

Bastardos sin Gloria Diplo.

• Like 2

Perhaps multiple types of port attacks would be the way to go. The current system isn't all that 'realistic' in that communications, logistics, etc were a slow-moving, cumbersome thing in those days. Distance was murder. Perhaps the current port attack system would be better for a raid of sorts, where the port would be open as a jumping-off point for further attacks and would remain under the victors control but without being able to set timers. This could represent the rushed nature of the attack, leaving the port vulnerable to re-capture for a period of time, say 72hrs, at which point a timer could then be set.

We could then have another raid type available, with a much longer notice (I like 24hrs, since it wouldn't mess with the timing otherwise), which would give defenders plenty of time to ready themselves as well but would allow the victor to immediately set timers to represent having taken the time to load up and transport goods and ground forces to properly secure the port and make it easily defensible. Afterall, in 'realistic' terms, taking the time to gather that sort of matériel, in addition to the loose lips of drunken marines, would give spies a lot of time to get word back home about impending invasions.

I can't really see much argument against this, since ostensibly everyone has stated that they -want- to PvP, timing just isn't working out for people to arrive, etc etc. This way players would have plenty of time to arrive and there'd be far more actual PvP going on. Want to avoid overnight port-flipping that would result from the total removal of port timers? I don't blame you, just take the time to prepare and give the defender time to do the same. I'm just spit-balling here. Thoughts?

Edit: I realise this wasn't a great place for this, so I threw it up in the Suggestions section. Didn't mean to derail things here.

Edited by Francis Tabernac
  • Like 2