Game-Labs Forum

'Cosmetic' Suggestions

thekev506

• 3 weeks later...

I am totally on the side of gameplay > fancy graphics and details.

I haven't played a total war game in months, but I have been playing UGG tons lately. Zooming in all the way and seeing a soldier make some facial expression, and seeing his leg hair underneath his tunic is all fine and dandy, but that level of detail is just visual fluff. UGG has unbelievably good gameplay, possibly the best gameplay of any RTS I've played in a very long time. The AI is simply the strongest I've ever seen in an RTS. Would it be cool to see different uniforms on the little sprites of the units? Sure. But if it's the choice between the devs working on that, or spending that time tweaking the AI, adding more detailed gameplay features, etc. I'd choose the latter every time. If I want to see pretty unit models I'll load up a Total War game. I am perfectly happy with the devs focusing on gameplay and AI primarily for this game.

Same goes for enhanced graphics like longer lasting smoke, more detailed sprites, more sprites, etc. I like that this game can run well even on my laptop. Only thing that would be cool to customize is a sprite ratio, like Scourge of War has. So for someone with garbage PC's, they can set the ratio so that brigades are only like 10-20 men. Or people with powerful gaming PC's can set a 1:1 ratio so Davis' brigade will be >2000 men on the battlefield.

• Like 4

Some great suggestions in this thread. I love the game! Do we really need a mimi map if we seek an authentic mid 19th century experience? The confusing fog of war, never fully knowing what is taking place is surely a more accurate representation. The additional music would be great- particularly when reinforcements arrive onto the battlefield. Having troops dig in and build breastworks would also add to the accuracy. I would love if the developers used their expertise to produce a similar game based on the World War 1 Battle of the Somme (also fought on 1st July), it would be perfect to adapt!

Multiplayer Officers Rank Insignia's
With the current Rank there's stars. To make it a little more realistic
I would like to see the Union Infantry Shoulder Board/Straps Rank Insignia's above the Users Name.
There was differences Between The 2 Armies but sticking with Union Infantry insignia would be Kewl.

Ranks and insignia of the Confederate States
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranks_and_insignia_of_the_Confederate_States
Rank was displayed on shoulder straps(field duties): no insignia for a second lieutenant, one gold bar for a first lieutenant, two gold bars for a captain, a gold oak leaf for a major, a silver oak leaf for a lieutenant colonel, a silver eagle for a colonel and one, two or three silver stars for a general, depending on his seniority.[2]

The color of the shoulder strap fields[4] - with trims in gold braid - were as follows:

Dark blue: general officers
Dark blue: general staff
Sky blue: infantry...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_of_the_Union_Army

jp1PCOP.jpg?1

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

When I place a brigade or division, the units/formations move to the allocated place, but I cannot place anything alongside them or near them because I have no way of seeing where they will end up until they get there. In Rome II, for example, I can press the space bar and the units can be seen at their end-point, so that I can then line up my next lot of units alongside them. (I hope that's clear.)

• 2 weeks later...

You would like a 'ghosting'  feature you mean? Not a bad idea indeed. A bit like sid meiers gettysburg maybe.

[edit]

just only now learned about the ctrl-right click method, which is almost perfect.. apart from the fact that you can't define a path with it

[/edit]

Edited by fierman

• 2 weeks later...

I would like the movement arrows changed a bit.

Or be given some options to change them to a personal preference.

Like have a setting for how opague the arrows are, currently they obscure a lot of the terrain when you draw them, especially when you move a lot of units along the same path.

Also maybe an option to have the thickness vary on the amount of soldiers in the unit.

A big 2000 brigade would have at thicker arrow than a 1000 one, and a 300 skirmish unit would be even smaller, but not too small obviously.

• Like 1

I'm enjoying this great game so far, however I wish it was easier to tell -- and control -- the state of the units. For example, it took me a long time to tell whether a field artillery unit is loaded with canister or solid. And to tell whether I have told an infantry unit to walk or run. Considering the reasonably fast pace of the game it will be great to have better and less ambiguous visual cues. I am not a fan of the current system :-(. 

Thanks! 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'd like an option to enable/disable/move/control opaqueness of the in play notifiers that appear on the right center of the screen - "More bad news General! Union V Corps blah blah blah..." Dunno if this has been mentioned so thought I would.. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The visual display of critical elements of the game's mechanics are crucial to the player experience. I would argue that "cosmetics" can have a major impact on how the game is enjoyed by users. Nothing in UGG jumps out at me as far as fraphical player interface is concerned. But that is because of some crucial "player aids" the developers included in the game. Thank goodness for experience and this forum. Many things that are inadequately explained in the game documentation and tutorials have been realized through playeing and from the comments of other gamers on this forum. Thanks, guys!  (No, this is a very worthy topic for discussion.)

Is the game still updated? If yes, do you think that we might see some of these suggestions put in the game? I personally don't enjoy A LOT playing this game, I play it for almost 2 minutes aday and then close it for several graphical flaws and some missing content, so I'd like to see it improved. I've read about suggestions regarding blood, troops in detail, musicians. These are ideas that I'd love to see in the game because right now managing the troops gets really messy and confusing to me, even if I played a lot of strategical games that required commanding thousands of troops. Good luck.

This game already looks pretty good graphically and well done Darth but I've noticed that the explosions from artillery look different in the early release picture than they do now. It would be great if the explosions looked like the picture, its makes the battle feel so much more intense and immersive. I would like to see as well, variations in uniforms( which i believe was already mentioned, would add great realism to the battle. Also if any of you guys have ever watched Ken Burns: The Civil War, the music in that documentary is amazing and would make great music for the main menu. 

I hope all fans of UBB realize, although you probably don't, that the developers of this game have already spent a small fortune for orignal four-color artwork that is loaded into the game. Well, just the miniature portraits of the unit commanders alone represent hundreds of manhours of creative, editorial, and CG effort. The mapboard (playing surface) is an exceptional piece of work showing considerable care and deliberation in its execution. What we don't see are the tradeoffs--hundreds probably--that got 20 pounds of game into a 10 pound game engine. Remember, the true professionals make the really hard stuff look easy.

• Like 1

I hope all fans of UBB realize, although you probably don't, that the developers of this game have already spent a small fortune for orignal four-color artwork that is loaded into the game. Well, just the miniature portraits of the unit commanders alone represent hundreds of manhours of creative, editorial, and CG effort. The mapboard (playing surface) is an exceptional piece of work showing considerable care and deliberation in its execution. What we don't see are the tradeoffs--hundreds probably--that got 20 pounds of game into a 10 pound game engine. Remember, the true professionals make the really hard stuff look easy.

I love the explosions and smoke, what I don't enjoy that much are the units. Why? It's because as I said before they make the game quite confusing, also for example on a cannon unit you can see the number "71" when there are only 3 cannons and more or less 10 men, same thing for the 300+ units, also blood is missing and you can't really see when some are dead or not.

SLOW THE GAME DOWN:

I am not at all an expert on historical battles and history but is it at all possible to slow down the pace of the game more?

I don't like the feel of a game where you are running against the clock - it is not long enough.

I hate the fact I have to rush around clicking the mouse madly on units because time is short to the point where I don't have enough time to sit and plan my tactics and observe the units moving and enjoy the game.

If the game is going to be reduced to feeling rushed - afraid that time is running out from the word, "go!" - then I lose the satisfaction of enjoying the time to think things through and enjoy the results. Otherwise it is reduced to a mindless childish click-fest.

I would like more time to savour the game and its movements without feeling I don't have time to do even that.

Anyway, just a thought.

I am looking forward to the next patch - the game is getting a much better feel - more polished.

Thanks.  

• Like 1

When I place a brigade or division, the units/formations move to the allocated place, but I cannot place anything alongside them or near them because I have no way of seeing where they will end up until they get there. In Rome II, for example, I can press the space bar and the units can be seen at their end-point, so that I can then line up my next lot of units alongside them. (I hope that's clear.)

Yes, I agree with you on that. I felt that was needed too. :)