Game-Labs Forum

'Cosmetic' Suggestions

thekev506

Something that would be great is a graphical order of battle for your units on the battle selection screen.

Something like a family tree showing the general's portraits then the brigades and batteries under them.

You could include links to the Wikipedia articles for that general / brigade like Crusader Kings 2 does for characters.  It would really help add historical flavour and also improve the educational value of the game.

Love the wikipedia idea. It works great in CK2 and as Paul says would add so much flavour and educational value.

Lets not get too carried away with uniform details and sprite size etc etc. The MOST important thing is gameplay. The TW series lost this focus and has turned into how detailed can we make our figures and how many different animations can we do, rather than is the GAME any good. Make the gameplay perfect first , then worry about the length of mustaches.

• Like 5

Lets not get too carried away with uniform details and sprite size etc etc. The MOST important thing is gameplay. The TW series lost this focus and has turned into how detailed can we make our figures and how many different animations can we do, rather than is the GAME any good. Make the gameplay perfect first , then worry about the length of mustaches.

Agreed. Changing names of regiments first would suffice. Uniforms are not important until the more important matters are done with.

Agreed. Changing names of regiments first would suffice. Uniforms are not important until the more important matters are done with.

Unless something changes I do not for see them even adding regiments to this game. Unless you can detach a Regiment from the Brigade. Like say the First Regiment of each Brigade can be detached like... Davis Brigade would have the 11th Mississippi Regiment (My re-enactment Regiment!).

Speaking of uniform accuracy, it would be stellar if the US Sharpshooters wore the historically correct green variant uniform rather then blue. 

vynrn.jpg

I think that by Gettysburg the Sharpshooters had lost the green uniforms for blue (although with green for the NCO's chevrons, etc). I would be nice to have the choice, though.

I'd like to see:

option to disable the musket and cannon tracers

tweak the map so that hills, ridges etc are more exagerated so its easier to see where the higher ground is.  the elevation map is cool but I'd rather not leave it on all the time

1. Add a mini map as each scenario starts to allow you to choose between them. I can never recall which VP element is where and the descriptions alone are not good enough for me.

That would be brilliant!  Instead of having button, to show a map of the area with Corp markers and movement arrows showing units approach the battlefield.  Then highlighted areas for each of your optional battles.  It would really give you a picture of how the battles were linked together.

Just thought of a little cosmetic change that would really help.

When you click on a general all the units in his chain of command are highlighted green, which is great.

Could you highlight units in his zone of influence another colour so it's easy to see what units are getting a bonus?

Make smoke last longer.... In real battles, smoke would litter the battlefield. It was chaotic. Lets go get the chaotic feel. or maybe put in an option : realistic smoke : on/off

I think this was a graphics thing if I remember right.  Nick said they took the heavier smoke seen in the pre-release pics out to improve performance for now, and it might go back in later.

I think this was a graphics thing if I remember right.  Nick said they took the heavier smoke seen in the pre-release pics out to improve performance for now, and it might go back in later.

Great okay, thanks, sorry for not researching this before commenting ! -_-

The game isn't focused on individual details and soldiers, and the game's sprites are far too low resolution to be used any larger as they are. There also wouldn't be much point- this game has a focus on the battle, not zooming in on a soldier, since there's always Total War if you enjoy those sorts of things. 

I fundamentally disagree with every damn word you said.

That is an extremely good idea man, I don't know nuffin' about the Battle of Gettysburg (except that Benny Hill is impossible to take) so a preview of the map you get at the start of a phase would be helpful in choosing.