Game-Labs Forum

Change the name of the Frigate to Cherubim

Cherubim or frigate ?  

269 members have voted

1. 1. Change the name of the Frigate to Cherubim (the corresponding ship)

• Yes
    • No
    • Cherubi-wan Kenobi

Hello there,

It is really confusing to have the Cherubim name IG as "Frigate". Everytime I speak with friends about it, everything got mixed up.

"Let's capture a frigate !"

"Which one, a surprise ?"

"Noo, I mean the frigate.

"Uhh ?"

"The frigate, I mean the frigate named frigate."

"There is a frigate named frigate ?"

"Yes."

"..."

And repeat it ad eternum with every new friend coming.

Nearly every ship IG it named by its class. Why change ? 

Sure, the cutter IG is named cutter. But it's the only cutter we have. So it's fine. It would be fine to name the cherubim frigate if it was the only frigate IG. It isn't.

However pirate frigate is fine. because it's the only pirate frigate in game. 

The same will happen to the 3rd rate. It's fine right now, because there are only 2 3rd rate. What will happen when there will be 4 ? Confuse everyone as well. Let's fuse the actual ship with the Bellona, no ?

Maybe devs want to make "generic" ships, but it does not really make sense because there are already many ships of the same class. 

What's your opinion guys ? 

Edited by maturin
  • Like 6

I am not sure if the current 3rd rate named ship is the same as the Bellona. I heard they are two completely different ships, aside from the fact that they are both 74 gun 3rd rate ships of the line.

I agree with you on changing the generic names though.

"Snow" is HMS Ontario and "Brig" is USS Fair American.

To be honest I don't really like the names. the whole "Spotted 2 victorys and 3 constitutions to the south" just sounds horrible to me... Ships names are personal.  I'd prefer to have them named so its "First Rate(HMS Victory)" and "Frigate(USS Constitution)" sure people will still call them vics and connies but at least people will know its 'a' frigate called Constitution not just 'a' constitution.  But I'm sad like that :)

Edited by ArcadeHex
  • Like 7

Please moderators, if you edit my topic can you please explain why ? It's rude to do edits without saying anything to the OP.

Thanks.

To ArcadeHex :

Yes, but the snow is the only snow in game so it's fine. You can keep the generic term if it's the only vessel of its class in game without any problem.

Regarding the brig I'm not sure there was huge differences between two different kind of brigs so it's fine I guess. We don't have this problem because people don't say "brigs", we say "6th rate". While we mostly use the term frigate instead of 5th rate.

It's more annoying regarding larger vessels, where everything can be really different, especially regarding frigates.Not really important between a brig and a navybrig ; could be trouble to mistake a surprise with a trincomalee.

Also, I agree that I would prefer to have rates and class names instead of names, but since the trend is going on the opposite I see no reason going backwards.

Edit : actually the brig  is fictional and not based on any real ship. Its likeliness with the USS Fair American is not intended.

Edited by Azzak
  • Like 1

Cutter/ HMS Alert

Like I said, it's fine because it's the only cutter we have, so naming it cutter doesn't make things confusing. 

change names all ships withs own names. especially Niagara and constitution 

What do you mean ?  

I am not a big fan of using names of specific ships at all.

Would rather just call them all by generic names, like 38 gun frigate, or 44 gun frigate, or first rate, or 2nd rate, etc.  

Look at how ships were referred to during the time period.  Nobody referred to a 44 gun heavy frigate as a "Constitution" (unless it was actually the Constitution.)

Ships were usually referred to by the standard number of guns they carried.  

Every time I see a French or British "Constitution" it's somewhat incongruous.  

Edited by ssssnake529
  • Like 7

Totally agree with the nature and intent of this thread.

It's extremely inconsistent, frustrating, and historically silly to be having "Constitution", "Trincomalee", or "Victory" as a TYPE of ship in game. Alongside other ship TYPES such as Frigate, Brig, Snow, 3rd Rate.

(By the way, I was of the impression that our ingame "3rd Rate" is a Temeraire-class 74, not a Bellona class. Take a look here. The Bellona as modeled ingame is actually quite different than the generic 74.)

Name everything by the class and guns. 7th rate (12), 5th rate (38), 1st rate (106). Etc. It's extremely upsetting to have every player and hundreds of NPCs sailing a ship that only one copy was made of.

• Like 5

Yup it's true it would be better. But the problem would be to differentiate frigates with the same number of cannons. The Frigate (Cherubim) and Belle Poule for example, have both 38 guns, yet behave completely differently. Maybe we can precise the size of the biggest guns onboard ? And, if needed, the date of building ?

5th rate (38, 18 lbs)

5th rate (38, 12 lbs)

Regarding the 3rd rate, according to Maturin it's just a retexture of the Bellona, nothing more.

Edited by Azzak
  • Like 1

I don't care what we call them as long as they are called something.

Generic names for them, especially when the name doubles as a category or class, then everything becomes messed up.

3rd rate is a size/class of ship... not a ship name.

Frigate is a type of ship... not a ship name.

• Like 2

When in port, crafting or buying a given ship, the historical name should be used (USS Constitution, HMS Alert for the Cutter...) because what matters here are the specific ship performances and design.

When in OW, tagging or being tagged, only the ship class of the enemies (heavy Frigate, Cutter...) and the number of guns should be known because that's what could be seen from long distance and NA Captains should be able to customize the stern with a chosen name after crafting or buying them.

French ship names should be correctly written in game with the definite article (that is the french translation of "the") and the correct grammatical accent : La Renommée, Le Gros Ventre, Le Bucentaure, Le Commerce de Marseille, L'Unité.

But right now, all that is details, cosmetics and minor issues, hopefully at the end of NA devs'  to-do list.

Bug fixes, content, new features, improvement are much more important atm.

• Like 9

Actually, for french ships it's quite easy since ships are designed by class.

For example Belle Poule is of Dédaigneuse class, La Renommée is of the Galathée class etc...

And of course the most produced ship of the line, Téméraire class.

Why isn't Renommee listed in her own class?

And I thought she only had one quasi-sister ship.