Game-Labs Forum

To Merge or Not To Merge?

91 members have voted

1. 1. Should the PvP Servers be Merged?

• Yes, PvP2 should merge into PvP1 (like PvP3 did, and as initially planned)
    • Yes, PvP1 should merge into PvP2 (for better average ping worldwide)
    • No, leave the PvP servers as is / I play on PvE server / allow asset transfer instead
    • Other, please explain
    • Yes, they should merge, but I don't care which one merges into the other

If I had my way, PvP2 would merge. Whether it's into PvP1, or PvP1 merges to PvP2 I don't really care. But, alas I don't have my way all the time.

Honestly? I wish for a different approach now. I would like a one time asset move (via redeemables), each player gets to choose whether they move all their assets to PvP1 or PvP2. I wish I could strongly recommend all US based players to come back from PvP1 to PvP2. The time windows are all better for US based players (also Australian players, but most are already in PvP2). Late US prime time in both servers in largely the same pop, with PvP2 actually beating PvP1 now whereas early US prime PvP1 still beats PvP2 in numbers...but again the players online are similar.

IF all US based players moved to PvP2, I would say a range of 300-500 players would be online at the time port battles would happen. Now I obviously can't ask anyone to go back and there are many reasons for players being on PvP1. With the option to move all assets from one server to another, it could get the incentive to come back, or to stay on pvp1 even more. I was in the US nation on PvP1, all our ports were in the US TZs and most other nations (except for Britain) has EU TZ windows. Overall, we wouldn't see many opponents on the seas and port battles were mainly empty. I found it incredibly boring that the majority of players playing at the time were in the same or allied nation.

• Like 5

First off, this topic is getting extremely old and quite frankly should be closed by the moderators. Secondly, your 3rd choice is not a proper answer as it forces us to give an answer with two parts where one part could be false for some. If they merge the server to a Euro server, 300+ Americans on the PvP2 server will simply quit the game because we cannot stand the lag issues, hence why we play on PvP2 and not on PvP1.

Mods, please close this post, as it is the 8 millionth post of the exact same thing.

AoywsiV.jpg?1

Edited by Cpt Blackthorne
  • Like 5

[...]

Mods, please close this post, as it is the 8 millionth post of the exact same thing.

[...]

Yes, I agree that it is old.  That said, it is the result of expectations that were set in later April and that have not yet been followed through.  Many have speculated at the outcome, I just would like to see a resolution: merger or chance to transfer w/ clear expectations.  This is a simple matter of product management by the developers.

I believe the clear answer has been shown over the past 4 months. No merger. However, you now mention a good point along with 3th above, that this poll should actually be about the devs allowing transfers with assets or not. My vote would be: No merger, but yes to a 1 time transfer with all assets.

Perhaps there should be your poll question. Free 1 time transfer: Yes or No.

• Like 2

Tired of this being brought up over and over. And for the billionth time , im not going to playa server where the bulk of activities are controlled by people playing while i sleep or work. People need to get that through thier heads.

Better a server where two factions account for 90% of the population, with your own the largest?

• Like 1

We get it Taranis... you used to play on PVP2, and were duped by a bunch of jerks into thinking it was going to close, so you abandoned all your stuff there to get a 'head start' on PVP1. Now your realizing that decision was wrong, and that PVP2 seems to be more fun for US-based players. Sorry, but no need to go on beating this dead horse. You can come back to PVP2 at any time. Doesn't mean that either server needs to be merged

If they merge the server to a Euro server, 300+ Americans on the PvP2 server will simply quit the game because we cannot stand the lag issues, hence why we play on PvP2 and not on PvP1.

This is simply not true.  A relatively slow-paced game like this does not suffer from "lag issues" with 100 ping.  If this was a 60 fps? sure.  But it is not.  I play on PVP1 and live in the US and have never seen a single lag issue ever.

• Like 1

We get it Taranis... you used to play on PVP2, and were duped by a bunch of jerks into thinking it was going to close, so you abandoned all your stuff there to get a 'head start' on PVP1. Now your realizing that decision was wrong, and that PVP2 seems to be more fun for US-based players. Sorry, but no need to go on beating this dead horse. You can come back to PVP2 at any time. Doesn't mean that either server needs to be merged

The asset transfer is a great answer to the subsequent question: what to do if the servers are not merged (though one should note that (1) many pvp1 players don't feel that this should be allowed, and (2) developers seem to be focused on transferring assets from PvP2 to PvP1, but not the other way around - which at this point is backwards).  Part of the issue is that I am not the only US timezone player to have moved to pvp1.  As pointed out by Teutonic and others, the PvP2 server would/should be higher than it is, had expectations not been set resulting in many players that would normally be on pvp2 now be on pvp1.

No place to chose the option...

Pointless post is pointless.

I understand that you feel frustrated by the discussion.  Please don't feel you need to join a discussion thread if it aggravates you or if you think the points are not relevant to your circumstances.

Edited by TaranisPrime

Wouldn't be an issue if we didn't have a dozen different posts about the same topic that the devs stated as it is NOT going to happen.

The law of UN-intended consequences in action.  The same devs had stated multiple times that it would happen... which resulted in players making decisions they would not have otherwise made, and a player distribution which would not have otherwise occurred and penalized pvp2.

I would like to see this corrected.  PvP2 server should be given its due consideration.

Edited by TaranisPrime

Better a server where two factions account for 90% of the population, with your own the largest?

Yes. I would much rather have the bulk of players play the faction they want and to acually be online while i am than several factions with low populations who only play when im offline.

Im pretty sure im not the only one who sees it that way.

Edited by Mrdoomed

Yes. I would much rather have the bulk of players play the faction they want and to acually be online while i am than several factions with low populations who only play when im offline.

Im pretty sure im not the only one who sees it that way.

I see your point.  That said, I would note that a significant part of the pvp2 activity is not necessarily taking place during US prime time as it is - as illustrated by the Danish clan activities with their asian players, or the Australian and Kiwi players in France, UK or US...

Hello Сaptains

We wanted to share the plans for the next content patches with you.

The list may change and is not final. 

Content patch: June (Deployed 6/29/16)

[...]

• Potential USA PVP 2 merge - under consideration

[...]

Seems reasonable that this should be a hot topic then....

Point being, at one point in time the Devs said they were considering to merge, now it seems to have been the reverse. Players who did move at the time, like myself, would like to get the option to at the very least consolidate our assets on to one server. Whether that is the choice of the player to move it to PvP2 or PvP1 is up to them.

So what if it's brought up a million times? Everything else gets brought up just as often. I would love to see players, again like myself, see the upcoming port reset patch as a means to go back to PvP2. Giving the option for players to consolidate their assets on to one server could encourage this.

Edited by Teutonic
  • Like 1

Point being, at one point in time the Devs said they were considering to merge, now it seems to have been the reverse. Players who did move at the time, like myself, would like to get the option to at the very least consolidate our assets on to one server. Whether that is the choice of the player to move it to PvP2 or PvP1 is up to them.

So what if it's brought up a million times? Everything else gets brought up just as often. I would love to see players, again like myself, see the upcoming port reset patch as a means to go back to PvP2. Giving the option for players to consolidate their assets on to one server could encourage this.

Exactly!  I would even say that players that have played on both servers for a certain number of hours, should get something of an extra redeemable of some sorts - for the aggro of having had to start anew and be in this limbo since April.  BTW, on a related note, would be nice if unlocked blue prints were tied to the user account, as is one's crafting level...

I still don't even understand why they want transfers.  Every thing is going to get wiped when the game goes live so why would it hurt you so much to switch back over now?  It's not like you can't grind up a lot of that stuff fast any way.  I think to many folks are sitting on to much gold and ships that we prob should do a pre-wipe any way and make folks start on what there is in game and not on stuff they collected early when it might of been easy to get such gold and ships and stockpile so much.

REMEMBER THIS IS A ALPHA TEST.   All that pretty gold and ships you won't get to keep when it goes live.  Hell I'll be suprised if they don't wipe it when they go Beta like most games do.   

With that this topic is getting old, if there is going to be any mergers it's going to be PvE onto the other two servers with there own little area.  To be honest that server is a lot more waste or resources than any other server, but you have to catter to those that don't want PvP even if it's a very small percentage.   Though that doesn't mean they have to give them the full experience of the games.  Many games do PvE zones instead of full servers of PvE.   Just stay in that zone/coastal area and you will be fine.  Hell lately a lot of PvE guys have been coming over to PvP2 (sure it's the same for PvP1) cause they are board and want action now that they have leveled up.

Whoever is bringing this up again should read up on this forum and stop re-hashing things already decided upon.  This has already been resolved, and this month.

All of these posts are from THIS TOPIC, which was specifically closed because this has already been considered and we are moving forward.

Original thread post:

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/16325-pvp2/?p=309049

Developer response:

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/16325-pvp2/#entry309069

End of argument:

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/16325-pvp2/page-2#entry309386

Close this topic.  Get over it people and move on.  ;)

• Like 1

The ping rates on PvP2 are better for all of our Aus/NZ and asian players.  Forcing a merge would mean we'd lose a bunch as many have said they would quite the game.  I live in NA so my ping rates would probably stay ok but it's not about me....let's stop looking at this game from a purely selfish mindset and start thinking about how a merge would negatively effect others.

• Like 1

Perhaps, we should parse out the issues:

1. PvP2 is under populated because devs stated it would be merged (and then not). 
  2. A PvP server, with a map of this size, needs a certain minimum critical mass of players before there is indeed any said pvp taking place.  At the hours I am online, for example, there are usually about 150-300 players on each PvP1 and PvP2 (though over half of the PvP1 players at that time are logging in from US time zones).
  3. Players that moved from PvP2 to PvP1 in anticipation of said change (a) had to start over from scratch in certain regards, and (b ) now have assets in both servers (which are less than players would otherwise have - had they not moved and started over from scratch, or players in pvp1 that never had to move in the first place).
  4. Generally speaking, the ping rate on PvP1 is good for folks in Europe and ok for US players but poor/bad for certain South American, Australian and Asian players. 
  5. Generally speaking, the ping rate for PvP2 is great for US players and ok for South American and Asian players, but would be obviously a little worse for European players.
  6. Some players want pvp activity when they are online, and not activity when they are offline (as they don't want to miss the action)
  7. Some players don't think any of this is an issue because they never made the switch from one server to another, or because they have just joined the game and believe that the present form of PvE like PvP is to their liking
  8. Then we have the players that did not move servers, that feel like they are the true loyal supporters of the game and the heathens that betrayed pvp2 should accordingly be penalized
  9. Finally, we have players reminding us that this is all for testing anyways, so who cares about assets

Well, IMHO, I would favor a server merge (and i don't really care in which direction it goes since I can happily play both).  That said, if there is a merge, perhaps it should be in favor of a server that offers a better overall average ping (granted there may be a better provider than whoever is presently hosting pvp2).  If a merge is not taking place however, then players should be encouraged to use the best server for their circumstances and be allowed to move their assets accordingly.  On this note, the devs seem to be focused on perhaps allowing transfers from PvP2 to PvP1, but not the other way around - when, if anything, they should be focused on the reverse.

Assets do matter, as this game requires a lot of grinding and players will stay where their stuff is.  Some have even been seen quitting the game rather then starting anew.

Finally, those that were never part of PvP2 should really not be commenting on matters that do not affect them (ie: asset transfers and the like).

Edited by TaranisPrime

Wasting your time Tarranis. It's not about logic anymore. It's about hard headedness and egos.

The facts as of today.

I have played both servers for months at a time. I have full gear and bps on both servers. I can easily play either I want to. The population in US time zones essentially matches so by population there is no difference between the two servers.

So what real difference is there?

Access to the EU player base stabilizes the map more. Open up both maps and just look at the dispersion of nations. Doesn't take long to notice how lop sided pvp2 is compared to pvp1.

EU players can result in 1000 pop weekends for occasion grand scale play. It really livens up the weekends.

EU players result in port battle time shift to off hours. This is NOT good for US time players and is a negative to pvp1 use. However the conquest system is about to change so not sure of how this will be in the future.

ECON game in pvp1 is more real as you compete with over a thousand other merchants across the 24 hour clock. Pvp2 is more just crafting without competition for resources.

Other than that the two servers are mostly the same.

Pvp1 offers more variety and options of game play in all nations.

Pvp2 offers more port battle contests in limited nations as long as players set port timers in play times.

In the end if the servers merge US players can still do everything they are now doing in pvp1 and pvp2 but with less crafting abilities. Not much change otherwise. For those in this forum complaining about Tarranis bringing this up again? Look at the vote. Currently it's 26 votes for merge to 11 votes for no merge. Even amoung the small crowd that even cares about this issue it 2-1 FOR MERGING. No one has ever agreed in the previous threads in majority that NOT merging was better. You just wore us down with the drama and we stopped talking about.

• Like 1

FWIW, if your using the outage as justification, the timing of it lined up perfectly with the Kerbs attack, which was the biggest DDoS attack in history, and effected pretty much every major CDN in the world. 620GB/s will do that....

http://www.businessinsider.com/akamai-brian-krebs-ddos-attack-2016-9

It had nothing to do with naval action. So yea, nothing new here.

• Like 2