Game-Labs Forum

Labor contracts should be craftable

That would prevent stories like http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/14842-pvp1-june-26th-pirate-scamscum-at-kingston/ from happening. Which is not what we want. :)

There are also other methods of trading besides passing in and out for labor hours.

Labor hour trading grew as an inefficient work-around for, what people (rightfully) perceive as a limited commodity. In actuality you are not seeking that "commodity" at all, but rather some materials. The fact that it needs crafted is, or should be, of secondary concern.

Labor hours is actually a replacement of the crafting progress bar, seen in so many games. Rather than waiting for the progress bar to fill, you get a pre-filled progress bar. Which I think is a great thing. We don't want to wait for progress bars to fill. :D

Rather you should simply be buying the commodities you do want. But the market system is too flawed, leading to very high liquidity costs.

We have a high spread in combination with an outrageous transaction cost. The second reinforcing the first.

I also hinted at this in http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/14980-compassfish-market-crashes-where-is-the-market-maker/

First we need to make a port a market maker to ensure we always have liquidity. Second we need to decrease the transaction cost. Third the amount of contracts needs to be expanded. Then we should see a much more liquid market.

PS. Rare drops are a good thing, we don't want a cookie clicker game.

Edited by Skully
  • Like 1

It wouldn't change anything really, but it would make the trading of hours (which already happens) a lot easier for all parties involved.  It would also result in less wasted hours from players that don't have time to use theirs.

My 0.2 cents anyway.

It changes everything. :) Players should work the commodity market. Once they stop doing that they are effectively no longer part of the game.

I can rephrase it as follows, say we introduce craftable labor contracts. Then an alt would no longer be an interactive player, but rather a singleton supplier to the main character.

Make the main character a level 50 crafter and you have got yourself a perfect exploit.

I would prefer a building (slaves, factory or some such that delivers additional labour hours...or perhaps smaller contracts 100's, 250's or 500's a day depending on building type).

• Like 1

It changes everything. :) Players should work the commodity market. Once they stop doing that they are effectively no longer part of the game.

I can rephrase it as follows, say we introduce craftable labor contracts. Then an alt would no longer be an interactive player, but rather a singleton supplier to the main character.

Make the main character a level 50 crafter and you have got yourself a perfect exploit.

Yeah agreed, I know some people who have two or three alt's. If they just have to put their hours in a contract, and give it to the main character, then it is even easier for the main character to use his alt's labour hours.

To be fair, if people use alt's for labour hour use, I would prefer the devs just implement something so you can buy a "x2 multiplier for LH, or a x3 multiplier" (make x3 the max).

If the devs tollerate this, and people do it, you might as wel make it easy so more people can enjoy it.

So at the same time we can be done with alt's used for spying etc... caus all alt's would be banned (if this is trackable off course).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I necro this topic because i really think labour contracts  could be an interesting thing to add, would help production, crafting, could gives some ressources uses and improve trading activity :

-Make each labour contract cost a little more labor hours than what it gives (like GuntaO said)

-Make its recipe cost provisions + rum and tobacco) + coins

-Make different size of labour contracts like other consumabless (small/med/large) the larger costing gold coins and the small copper coins for exemple.

This would represent the cost to hire and feed workers/manpower for the time of the contract ( workers which will work on your client's farms/mines/plantation/dockyards, letting you imagine this craft/trade as you want while staying politically correct ) 

Labour contract would weight more than now to represent the men and their supplies on board

Such recipes could also be used for crafting "human upgrades" like powder monkey, marines, boarding parties.

-Add muskets, gunpowder, swords, for combattant upgrades recipes.

-Fabric/wool for marine's uniforms, (pigments if one day paint become craftable or just indigo if you don't plan to add pigments)

-Request random rare goods for gold  upgrade recipes (like Sevillan muskets, Swedish or Lancashire iron for boarding parties and marines for exemple, rare food for marines, rare alcool for boarding parties, idk) 

What do you think ?

37 minutes ago, Baptiste Gallouédec said:

I necro this topic because i really think labour contracts  could be an interesting thing to add, would help production, crafting, could gives some ressources uses and improve trading activity :

-Make each labour contract cost a little more labor hours than what it gives (like GuntaO said)

-Make its recipe cost provisions + rum and tobacco) + coins

-Make different size of labour contracts like other consumabless (small/med/large) the larger costing gold coins and the small copper coins for exemple.

This would represent the cost to hire and feed workers/manpower for the time of the contract ( workers which will work on your client's farms/mines/plantation/dockyards, letting you imagine this craft/trade as you want while staying politically correct ) 

Labour contract would weight more than now to represent the men and their supplies on board

Such recipes could also be used for crafting "human upgrades" like powder monkey, marines, boarding parties.

-Add muskets, gunpowder, swords, for combattant upgrades recipes.

-Fabric/wool for marine's uniforms, (pigments if one day paint become craftable or just indigo if you don't plan to add pigments)

-Request random rare goods for gold  upgrade recipes (like Sevillan muskets, Swedish or Lancashire iron for boarding parties and marines for exemple, rare food for marines, rare alcool for boarding parties, idk) 

What do you think ?

crafting labor contracts was all ready added to the game, you need to open a labor office to craft them search extra labor in the trader tool to see where you can open one

• Like 1