Game-Labs Forum

Add 8 bells for open ocean.

Considering how fast time runs in OW, I'm not sure that noise wouldn't get a bit repetitive and annoying.  Maybe add it as an option?

A day is every 40 minutes, right?

You might hear it twice on a medium-length trading voyage.

Anyways, repetitive and annoying sums up an awful lot of shipboard life. :P

We could also get occasional whistles and such for changing of the watch, etc. The OW is not an audio-overloaded environment like battles are, so the more we have to listen to, the better.

• Like 4

I agree, Wind. I suggested this a few months ago when I longed for "signs of life" while in Open World. Something other than the ghost ship sounds of the ship creaking, sails flapping etc. And yes, it would divert your attention to how many days at sea you have been sailing. I also wouldn't mind the crew sounds when we zoom in to deck level just as we have during battle instance.

Same thougth here.

+1

But why 8 bell's? Two would be better, i guess?

8 bells (4 sets of two, so :ding ding.....ding ding...etc.) is the nautical bell signal for 0, 4, 8, 12, 16, and 20 hours.  Each set of two bells was an hour, and single bells were for half hours.  The nautical 'day' traditionally begins at noon, which is 8 bells.  Having this sound once per day at 'noon' in game time would be just fine with me.  Hearing it once every 20 or so minutes that I'm in OW wouldn't get annoying and could be a good reminder to myself about how long I've been online and when I need to finally find a port and log out.

• Like 1