Game-Labs Forum

Advanced ship customization tool.

Advanced ship customization tool.

Hello, I am not sure if we had this topic before, but I want to suggest the tool that will let players customize certain ship parts with flags, pennants, figureheads and be able to paint them. It is a good idea to have a starting color pack for new captains. Colors could have 3 levels (common, uncommon and rare). More colors could be found during missions, inside treasure chests after player kills npcs/player and inside Game store. 

Here is the general idea of what I mean:

SLWAfRr.jpg

If you like it, please suggest more ideas. 

Thanks. 

• Like 6

I think it's a cool idea, not sure how much I like the idea of painting sails though... Maybe have the option to pick symbols for the sails instead? Or have a really basic color scheme for them (white, black, grey, cream, etc...)

There is definitely needs to be limit on colors, we do not want pink sails everywhere.  :D

• Like 1

I came over from RoF, and we have had some ugly/outrageous looking skins over the years...

This is not the worst one but it's the one everyone references when they talk about terrible skins.

http://jasta99.de/depot/RoF_Skinpack/FDr1/FDr1_Piggy_02.png

And this...

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac102/zapping_zapping/2013_7_2__21_40_29.png

I'd hate to see that kind of stuff sailing around in here.

• Like 1

There is definitely needs to be limit on colors, we do not want pink sails everywhere.  :D

+ 1. IMHO, only (semi?) historical colors would be fine. 

I came over from RoF, and we have had some ugly/outrageous looking skins over the years...

This is not the worst one but it's the one everyone references when they talk about terrible skins.

http://jasta99.de/depot/RoF_Skinpack/FDr1/FDr1_Piggy_02.png

And this...

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac102/zapping_zapping/2013_7_2__21_40_29.png

I'd hate to see that kind of stuff sailing around in here.

One way is War thunder's : custom skins can't be seen by other players. Whatever your skin is, one can only see the plain one...

The other is historical colors.

Edited by LeBoiteux
  • Like 1

I wouldn't mind terrible skins. As long as they are so tough to get, they "work for it".

I actually had a non-linear tier system in mind. Something like that:

Tiers are defined after the realism of customizations. Rainbow sails and pink paints are much harder to get than considerably much cheaper bleak-colored sails or navy blues and grays. They require more and more rare materials, they cost a lot and all in all pimping your ship in pink would be a costly affair. The more unique and standing out the customization, the more you pay for it. It would not only limit the pink ships, but also make "the crowd" at the same time... well... a crowd, but as well a colorful bunch of much cheaper and realistic customs.

But then, there is cost increase for each customization added after the first one. Adding tier one sails and pain would be a bit more expensive than the cost of both of these upgrades. But adding pink tier customs one after another would skyrocket the costs up to the point, where building ships with top levels of customization would only be considerable for people working together towards this goal. This also means full-top-tier customs would eat up much more dock and shipyard space, as to limit ability of their production.

This also means the top-tier ships, both pink ones and simply polished ones would be stuff of legends and make the stories around themselves. I would even consider allowing for only limited amount of top-tier ships globally as to make their presence and importance even more obvious. Not to mention what amazing things could happen if we added to that Grim DeGrim's idea of ships individual history...

All in all:

- Low-tier customs are not-so-pricey, look like your common production line ships with (as they should) a little bit of character to each of them, and you see a lot of these

- Mid-tier customs are considerably better flushed out, with modular paintjobs, colorful sails and generally looking like the pride of a nation. You see them from time to time, they cost serious money and they are eye candy in more-rather-than-less realistic fashion

- Top-tier customs are legends. You WILL hear if someone gets to build one. You will see a lot of people wanting it for themselves. Maybe even wars over it? If you get to actually SEE it, consider yourself lucky.

• Like 1

I'd rather not see rainbow sails with cupcakes & unicorns on them.

I came here to realistically sail ships. Part of realism is having the ships look like ships of the period, which means no hotrod flames, rainbows, neon colors, etc...

Have the sailing ships look like sailing ships, if you want to add historical or historically plausible decorations in I'd be fine with that but don't let people sail around in neon colored rainbow ships.

• Like 1

That could be great have tool like that but there are some concerns about colours - pretty sure here that i dont want see pink sails on open sea:) But few colour predefined by developers will be fine for me:) More personally interested in flags, pennants for guilds.

• Like 1