Jump to content
Game-Labs Forum
EdWatchmaker

New Player Retention: Noobs & Seal Clubbing vs Seasoned PVPers

Recommended Posts

- dedicated pvp'er wants to buy a Module

- dedicated pve'r has it in stock due to AI combat and drops

- price asked XXX pvp marks

- fastest way to get the marks ?!

- you got it ;), spell back at you

- enjoy

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Sparkydog said:

They will want to leave the safe zone eventually because they will want the challenge of fighting a human instead of AI.

I think pretty much anyone will gladly cruise out looking for a battle if they actually have a posse to roll with, and a vibrant battle to look forward to.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the safe zones on the coastline near the captials and with nearby no capable ports should have a clear line of reinforcement zone or a non pvp zone to protect the new players who join there really shouldnt be any pvp ganking on your starting ports coast line, or bring back the only system where those massive ai fleets on ur coast will auto target players from other nations and engage them with no tag warning to give something to fear of going near a countries home ports, that should bring down any other nation making runs at the new players or experienced player roaming around their home port, it would also give security to even have those fleets roaming around since they lack purpose currently, besides no nation should be anywhere near a nations captial ports to begin with other then to do seal clubbing the new players for easy pvp marks. if these fleets actually engaged the other nations that get to close to these shores it would give our smaller players a chance to grow and understand the game, also it would allow the low population nations the ability to deploy their fleets outside say charleston to actually engage other nations instead of constantly being on the defense of the new players around charleston. which is hindering the smaller nations. cause of contantly having other nations hitting the capital port and all the new players.

either enable those large fleets to engage players or turn the reinforcement area into non pvp combat zones and make it a solid area from all the non capable ports up the coastline, example "swanns to st mary's reinforcement zone turned to non pvp area. or the huge 25 first rate ships armadas that are roaming the costs around nation capital waters 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/25/2018 at 4:54 AM, Hethwill said:

- dedicated pvp'er wants to buy a Module

- dedicated pve'r has it in stock due to AI combat and drops

- price asked XXX pvp marks

- fastest way to get the marks ?!

- you got it ;), spell back at you

- enjoy

 

Confirming that most pvpers pay for things with pvp marks directly instead of gold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Flinch said:

Confirming that most pvpers pay for things with pvp marks directly instead of gold.

PvEr that hunts the drops asks for marks instead of gold.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jointventure said:

hethwill still sailing 4 xebecs with unlimited chain?

didn't use chain on them, always free mode ( due to their exceptional and unique way with the wind ) or destroy :) 

carry on or need to breathe a bit more stale air ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PvP players already have the patrol zones if they want quick PvP. I believe that if the amount of patrol zones were increased and more than one active in a day that it would help satisfy the players thirst for other players blood. (Except the jerks that are just looking for easy kills.)

   The real problem is player retention. Make a safe zone for every Nation to do combat missions and it will go a long way toward the player retention. I am 53 years old and love the age of sail. I am not good at PvP, just not coordinated enough I guess and younger players fair better against me. I accept this because I am also able to learn and with my years of wisdom can out think some of these younger players. I have even bought my first Wasa. I love participating in Port battles. 

   All Countries should have a starting port that has a big safe zone that will allow for experienced players to train new players, or new players to figure out things themselves. 

   The PvP combat in this game is better than in any other game that I have played. It requires more skill and cooperation between team mates. Give new players a safe place to train without having to go to the boredom of the PvE server to learn and then having to start all over again on the PvP server.

   My only other thought would be to give a player PvP marks for just participating in a PvP battle so that even the Seal being clubbed can be rewarded for participating.

Old Crusty 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/9/2018 at 5:10 PM, Old Crusty said:

PvP players already have the patrol zones if they want quick PvP. I believe that if the amount of patrol zones were increased and more than one active in a day that it would help satisfy the players thirst for other players blood. (Except the jerks that are just looking for easy kills.)

   The real problem is player retention. Make a safe zone for every Nation to do combat missions and it will go a long way toward the player retention. I am 53 years old and love the age of sail. I am not good at PvP, just not coordinated enough I guess and younger players fair better against me. I accept this because I am also able to learn and with my years of wisdom can out think some of these younger players. I have even bought my first Wasa. I love participating in Port battles. 

   All Countries should have a starting port that has a big safe zone that will allow for experienced players to train new players, or new players to figure out things themselves. 

   The PvP combat in this game is better than in any other game that I have played. It requires more skill and cooperation between team mates. Give new players a safe place to train without having to go to the boredom of the PvE server to learn and then having to start all over again on the PvP server.

   My only other thought would be to give a player PvP marks for just participating in a PvP battle so that even the Seal being clubbed can be rewarded for participating.

Old Crusty 

^This here ^ 

You must have a no pvp zone if you want new players to progress and stay.

The only reason veterans disagree with this?? because they want to fight new players who have no chance of beating them.

Want PVP, Go to the patrol zones or hang around free-ports.......oh wait......you might lose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Crow said:

^This here ^ 

You must have a no pvp zone if you want new players to progress and stay.

The only reason veterans disagree with this?? because they want to fight new players who have no chance of beating them.

Want PVP, Go to the patrol zones or hang around free-ports.......oh wait......you might lose.

remove the reinforcement zones and replace with no pvp zones around non capturable ports, there is no real reason to have any other nation hanging around your nations starting ports other then to club the smaller less experienced players out of the game, as crow said nations can engage each other in the open sea, around free ports and contestable ports along with the patrol zones, not around nation capital ports, being around nation capital ports shows intent to club new players out of the game or to farm easy pvp marks from new players. if this cant be resolved restore the ability for the massive 25 ships fleets that roam ur countries starting ports to engage other nation players without a tag timer and apply area control to the npc's in that fleet. this will deteer other nations for going after starting ports.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/21/2018 at 5:29 PM, Norfolk nChance said:

Zones don’t really seem to do the job whether The Rookie Shallows or Safe zones. They all suffer the same problem on the initial 5 to 10 days steep learning curve. The idea of all new players starting on PvE first I think goes along way to solve the starter problems. The Pop-Up spawn would lead to more ALT farming than you could believe and is none starter in my opinion.

There's probably a couple ways to go at this but there's definitely something to the idea.

I started on the PvE server.  This is my first MMO, first sandbox, first PvP environment, and probably a few other firsts, having mostly played Civ III, IV, V and VI (which probably explains my attraction to the Econ mechanics.  I already knew I was way, way over my head.  Spent quite a bit of time on PvE just sorting out how stuff worked.

My observation on some of the new players in my most recent clan is, yes, they passed the exam, but they seemed to lack a basic tactical sense and situational awareness that comes from merely being comfortable in the operating environment.  Defaulting ALL new players to the PvE server is probably a good idea, coupled with some sort of "are you sure" override to go directly to PvP.

What might make this actually work is to allow a PvE player below a certain rank (presumbably below what the final exam confers) to move to the PvP server with their experience and money.  The money would need to be capped at some reasonable amount.  But nothing else.  You are still fresh off the boat.  But with a bit of money in your pocket and some sense of what you might actually like to do.

PvE becomes an orientation environment.  Some folks will stay there, and that's fine.  But the ones that come over might be a bit better prepared.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×