Game-Labs Forum

Craft Mats for Combat Marks

3 hours ago, victor said:

Here we go Mr. PVP. And now it's time you get paid with your own coins. 

Becoming a professional shipbuilder in this game with a so low population (and a lot of clan crafters) includes a lot of management of harvesting, buying, moving materials and resources as well as a good knowledge of what ships and fits are good for the customers. Not mentioning the knowledge of prices of ships and materials in trade hubs.

Also being a pro-carebear (as dedicated crafters usually are) requires in fact good PLANNING SKILLS, a fair amount of GOLD to invest and - last but not least - a lot of TIME.

So .... basically ... wanna become a ship builder? OK ... then use your time and GIT GUD at it.

You say you do not wanna waste your precious time in crafting because you are too busy in being sunk by prussians?

Well, it's your choice. But you just can't have it all! Either you are a PVPer or a dedicated crafter. Simple.

So, don't ask an easy way to craft the ships that could fuel your PVP since dedicated crafters do not get PVP or combat marks for crafting the stuff they sell. 

It would not matter what they did this guy would find something to complain about

49 minutes ago, Jean de la Rochelle said:

Isn't that more out of sheer greed? :rolleyes:

Since the game lacks any sort of incentive for exploration in the OW, sailing about and looking for resources is about the only reason why I move around in the open world (that and combat of course).

I guess it depends how much your time is worth to you. You could probably make a few mill doing trade runs for an hour. You could also sell a consti for 2 mill after hauling mats for it. Does that make the constitution worth 2 million?

Also you say you look for resources on the OW, can you explain? That doesn't add up, this doesn't affect OW.

5 minutes ago, JobaSet said:

It would not matter what they did this guy would find something to complain about

So you think that people should have to choose between crafting and playing PVP? That a dedicated crafter shouldn't be allowed the time to do anything else because that's what they signed up for?

Did you even read the post? Grow a brain, stop parroting.

Edited by Slim Jimmerson

5 hours ago, Slim Jimmerson said:

Compared to the magical poof that is PVP marks, crafting isn't viable

Is grinding pvp marks considered easy now?

5 hours ago, Slim Jimmerson said:

nor in any way as relevant as it was before

I don't recall crafting ever being relevant. Any ship is has ever just been a blank canvas, upgrades and books is what it's all about. I actually wish crafting was relevant; It'd be a good thing if humans could actually make what other humans truly want.

Just now, jodgi said:

Is grinding pvp marks considered easy now?

Well, think of it like this. Would you rather be PVPing and having fun to get ships or idly hauling mats, clicking through screens, glaring back and forth between charts watching numbers fill up to craft a ship? To each his own but I'd rather be out fighting ships than spending all my time in game mindlessly clicking "craft"

From a gameplay perspective, crafting is a huge chore which is probably why it hasn't been very big. Maybe if we cut out some of the tedium then you'd see enthusiasm for crafting. But until then the ship eco is gonna remain poo.

As for hardcore PVPers who think that this is a carebear suggestion, you literally get your ships from pure magic, you don't craft, you don't eco. You're playing legends and its hilarious watching you grasp at straws to try to keep the game as favored to you as possible. But I guess that's just human nature to pick a stick to it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I've been on both sides, so I'm not terribly bias. ^_^

38 minutes ago, Slim Jimmerson said:

You could also sell a consti for 2 mill after hauling mats for it. Does that make the constitution worth 2 million?

2 Million doesn't sound too unreasonable for a Constitution. What's the point?

Also you say you look for resources on the OW, can you explain? That doesn't add up, this doesn't affect OW.

Well, I affect the OW insofar as I sail these empty waters, harvesting resources or buying up the occasional rare wood types, goods to produce modules, presenting myself to others players as a target and therefore populating the OW. 

32 minutes ago, Slim Jimmerson said:

That a dedicated crafter shouldn't be allowed the time to do anything else because that's what they signed up for?

Hum, Yeah. But you didn't sign up for anything, this is not the Navy. It's a game and you chose your career path out of your own free will.

Edited by Jean de la Rochelle

Just now, Jean de la Rochelle said:

2 Million doesn't sound too unreasonable for a Constitution. What's the point?

Eh, a gauging question. More on that later.

Well, I affect the OW insofar as I sail these empty waters, harvesting resources or buying up the occasional rare wood types, goods to produce modules, presenting myself to others players as a target and therefore populating the OW. 

This suggestion doesn't affect OW, you'll still be buying up the rare wood types and trade goods. The difference is you have the option not to haul a bunch of junk mats around.

Hum, Yeah. But you didn't sign up for anything, this is not the Navy. It's a game and you chose your career path out of your own free will.

Yes it is a game, yes crafting is a "career" but a line should be drawn. This isn't E.V.E, its not a 2nd job. More ships means more PVP, more crafting means more Player driven eco. This only facilitates accessibility to crafting. People who don't craft won't be affected, people who hunt crafters won't be affected, crafter will have a much better time and new players will have a much better time

1 minute ago, Slim Jimmerson said:

This isn't E.V.E, its not a 2nd job.

I totally agree with you.

4 minutes ago, Slim Jimmerson said:

The difference is you have the option not to haul a bunch of junk mats around.

Ok, I get it. But wouldn't it be easier to just cut out the junk mats entirely and make more materials available in the shops?

15 minutes ago, Slim Jimmerson said:

Would you rather be PVPing and having fun to get ships or idly hauling mats, clicking through screens, glaring back and forth between charts watching numbers fill up to craft a ship?

<shifty eyes> Is this a trick question?

18 minutes ago, Slim Jimmerson said:

From a gameplay perspective, crafting is a huge chore which is probably why it hasn't been very big.

But i keep hearing about unknown masses of players that absolutely need this tedium in game, so the game is centered around them and the pve grinders. I've never been able to make any sense of it.

16 minutes ago, Jean de la Rochelle said:

this is not the Navy. It's a game and you chose your career path out of your own free will.

I'm not entirely sure I understand what you're getting at...

I could argue that ships for pvp marks is a way for players  to use that free will to choose the navy career. Without ships "given to them by the admiralty" they're at the mercy of eco and crafting players.

23 minutes ago, jodgi said:
47 minutes ago, Jean de la Rochelle said:

this is not the Navy. It's a game and you chose your career path out of your own free will.

I'm not entirely sure I understand what you're getting at...

I could argue that ships for pvp marks is a way for players  to use that free will to choose the navy career. Without ships "given to them by the admiralty" they're at the mercy of eco and crafting players.

I was just jumping on Slim's expression of "...because that's what they signed up for?" which has military implications to me. 

28 minutes ago, Slim Jimmerson said:

That was briefly included in the original suggestion. Either way works.

Then excuse me for jumping on your thread without properly reading what you were suggesting. I don't like it that PVP players can spawn their ships too btw. After fixing the RvR the Devs seem to have moved on to PVP fixing. I hope that crafting, trading and exploration are somewhere down their to-do list as well.

24 minutes ago, jodgi said:

Yep, and that is bad for people who want to make a living by crafting, because nobody has to buy their ships any more. 

I guess what Slim is trying to say is, that if PvP players now have the option of spawning their ships, crafters should get the option of spawning their materials.

Slim, I am totally getting what you are saying now ... :rolleyes::D

10 minutes ago, Jean de la Rochelle said:

Yep, and that is bad for people who want to make a living by crafting, because nobody has to buy their ships any more. 

I guess what Slim is trying to say is, that if PvP players now have the option of spawning their ships, crafters should get the option of spawning their materials.

Slim, I am totally getting what you are trying to say now ... :rolleyes::D

Pretty much. You can be self sustaining PVPer and get the best ships in the best builds, and pretty good mods while say a PVEr or crafters are still being held to the realistic standard of building their own ships, since capping AI isn't a viable option for proper ships

I could argue that PVP marks aren't needed, that PVPers can already capture the ships they fight, ships from PVP marks are just a bonus. But we're already down the path of marks being a currency to buy ships, so why not give it on the other end with combat marks?

You still have to haul, collect and craft your ships, using combat marks to buy mats is just a bonus for crafter/PVErs, a supplement in the same way PVP marks are for PVPers

Edited by Slim Jimmerson

and the pvp'ers are making gold at the same time, mebbe not much for the gankers...  But as it stands a gank pvp mark is worth the same as a non gank.  - (an under crewed tbrig is worth over 600k in pvp marks? wtf )   So they have the cash as well, and they are selling pvp marks for over 200k each..  they CAN afford ships.  So why give them ships magically spawned...  

Another idea... allow crafters to trade crafted items for combat marks...   

But we're already down the path of marks being a currency to buy ships, so why not give it on the other end with combat marks?

I am doing the most boring thing in a forum discussion and just agree with you...  :)

The problem in ship crafting is not the time and effort it takes to gather the materials. That's trade and econ and even tho this part of the game is woefully undeveloped, going backwards in game complexity is not the key to success.

The problem: It's the multiclick, multidrag shuffles between screens, warehouses, and storage locations. The UI is awful for the crafter and traders purposes. Hopefully the new UI will fix this.

I certainly don't build ships for the gold considering amount of time that goes into maintaining sufficient levels of resources. 

Main reward for crafting ships is helping others out, either clans for the right type of ships for Port Battles and raiding, individuals with a much sort after 5th rate or new traders with a free ship and some capital.

Some improvements I'd like to see added however to make crafting even more rewarding.

- Ability to name the ship

- Receive action reports on ships you have crafted. 

- Additional specialty crafting abilities unlocked beyond level 50 which can be added to a ship.

20 minutes ago, Coraline Vodka said:

What about "everything" is confusing?

Hehe, the random pve loot "sandbox" has damaged me. I half expect "everything" to mean "many things but not glorious random pve loot drop upgrades and books."