Game-Labs Forum

AI is a clear hacker when it comes to boarding

Ronald Speirs

Hi all

Had a random night and lost a Niagara in boarding against a Mercury, it was very strange and complete cheats on i guess a bug or something the AI did.

Was helping a friend to try capture a brig, we went into one of his missions and it was against a Mercury so we were like this will do instead of a brig, so we went about the demast and then a slight grape before i engage on the boarding on it, i was running yellow Marines and swordfighting handbooks, purple grog, boarding parties and boarding axes.

Let the battle begin, I had 165 crew vs his 135 after some graping, we went about the boarding and i had killed 100 odd crew to his 60 or so, now this is in the new patch where the AI disengage had been disabled but there it was the AI started to disengage and did after 4 rounds, i waited till the 60 seconds before re-engaging where he had 13 vs my 60 by this stage, went back into boarding and he still had 13 and i had some how got 12 crew to start, it was the second round in boarding and it said he had killed 14 to my 2 when he had only killed 2 in a grenade and brace and there were no other kills on the report, the battle continued and i had 4 troops to his 1 then it said battle over and we were both captured.

Now i'm not sure how it happened and to what trickery it was, i have had other occasions where countering fire grenades like it says with attack has wiped out 70 of my troops, so I'm thinking that the boarding is extremely bugged or broken at times and will need immediately fixing so others done fall victim to this.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

We have been told time and time again that the AI is only capable of doing what players are capable of doing; This is simply untrue. 

The AI cheats, because without cheating it simply would not provide a big enough challenge. The developers have not yet been able to create an intelligent enough AI, because when they do, the AI will stop cheating.

Never had this issue yet and I've boarded almost everything from Lynx's to 3rd rates, the key I think is I capture vessels with a group of players and we absolutely pound ships down before engaging, by the time we board it 70% of it's crew is dead, it's completely demasted and morale is at 30 or less, so victory is almost assured. Keep in mind AI seems to have a serious Marines advantage over players, the only way to negate that is to kill as many as you can before boarding, and don't be afraid to disengage and fire an extra helping of grape his way ;) 

Well that makes sense about the disengage if they havent patched it yet i was just completely unsure on how i lost 50 odd crew while pulling him in after he disengaged, even my friend was baffled, ive never had a issue boarding till now, ecpecially with boarding mods that powerful, not sure if its support worthy but wasnt sure where else to put it, i gather losing that many crew upon re engaging in boarding is a bug cause there isnt any explanation to how it happened.

it said he had killed 14 to my 2 when he had only killed 2 in a grenade and brace and there were no other kills on the report, the battle continued and i had 4 troops to his 1 then it said battle over and we were both captured.

Now i'm not sure how it happened and to what trickery it was, i have had other occasions where countering fire grenades like it says with attack has wiped out 70 of my troops, so I'm thinking that the boarding is extremely bugged or broken at times and will need immediately fixing so others done fall victim to this.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

There is no trickery and everything can be explained by screenshots. Post the screenshots in the future.

Also - the higher bot rank the better boarding mods he can carry. 

You can also improve your boarding a lot by carrying boarding mods. They carry boarding mods players can carry. If they don't - chain boarding becomes a problem. Ask veterans about boarding 10 victories in a row in a bellona.

Deck diference also plays a role. And outside fire has a lot of influence - you could have been hit by your friendlies.

TLDR - boarding is a resolve - you have to board when you have advantage. Otherwise you are facing a 4 hour Victory (850) vs Redoutable (650) long inconclusive boarding action.

There is no trickery and everything can be explained by screenshots. Post the screenshots in the future.

Also - the higher bot rank the better boarding mods he can carry. 

You can also improve your boarding a lot by carrying boarding mods. They carry boarding mods players can carry. If they don't - chain boarding becomes a problem. Ask veterans about boarding 10 victories in a row in a bellona.

Deck diference also plays a role. And outside fire has a lot of influence - you could have been hit by your friendlies.

TLDR - boarding is a resolve - you have to board when you have advantage. Otherwise you are facing a 4 hour Victory (850) vs Redoutable (650) long inconclusive boarding action.

I've never had an issue to boarding and also posted the F11 to the boarding, he was LT commander and i was 1st LT so not overly different, i had Exceptional Marines and Swordfighting then Mastercrafted Grog, Axes and Boarding Parties which is complete overkill for a Mercury that had 20 less crew then my Niagara during the time of boarding, where i see that the bug or problem started was during the 15 second start time for the boarding the 2nd time when i was on about 60 odd crew vs his 14 then as battle started i had 13 and somehow lost 50 crew just in the startup. that's the issue i'm discussing as it has never happened before and i'm thinking it might be a random rare bug or something as there is not explanation to how it could happen normally

I've never had an issue to boarding and also posted the F11 to the boarding, he was LT commander and i was 1st LT so not overly different, i had Exceptional Marines and Swordfighting then Mastercrafted Grog, Axes and Boarding Parties which is complete overkill for a Mercury that had 20 less crew then my Niagara during the time of boarding, where i see that the bug or problem started was during the 15 second start time for the boarding the 2nd time when i was on about 60 odd crew vs his 14 then as battle started i had 13 and somehow lost 50 crew just in the startup. that's the issue i'm discussing as it has never happened before and i'm thinking it might be a random rare bug or something as there is not explanation to how it could happen normally

Have you prapared the crew for the boarding before? (key 9)
U used the right attacks against the enemy? (example, attack against granades, deckfire against defend)
Little hint: reduce the enemy crew under the 55% before

Mercury = higher deck than Niagara.

When the AI disengages, they tend to fire a full broadside at the same time.

Now if that broadside was grape, then your Niagara crew will get decimated!

Question: Does AI shoot Grape?

yes. and being on boarding crew focus you have more risks. 

AI sometimes shoots grape if you are on the boarding crew focus.

He did fire his broadside the split second I pulled him my crew were still there saying 60 odd, it was only after the 15 second boarding start that my crew changed, I'm always boarding as i enjoy demasting and capturing for friends of new guys to help them out so I'm no stranger to how to board, though it has slightly changed as the fire options from the AI do quite alot of kills against attacks, so it mainly brace, defend and attack to avoid any big decimation from there OP grenades and guns, but like i was saying this is the first time I've seen something unusual to how they could pull off those kills in the boarding starting screen.