Game-Labs Forum

LETTER to His Majesty the KING

Arthur Brown

When, in these dark times friends betray and your sovereign sits it mute silence, it is the duty of all men to take charge of their own government.

The United States would welcome as brothers an Independent Irish, Scottish, or even Canadian presence in the Leeward Islands.

Gentlemen,

I can only assume that this misguided letter is a result of this "Honourable" Admirals recent arrival from Portsmouth...

The world they left behind in London, is not the world or theatre of war that they clearly imagined. Old enemies are now friends, once friends are now enemies. The politics of this region moves apace, I am sure that this young Admiral will soon learn the bitter truth of misguided loyalties.

I hold no grudges for this poorly veiled insult, I have a job to do and I will do it to the best of my and my Fleet's ability.

I wish the Officers of the West Indies Squadron all the very best in their efforts to recapture the Ports that were exchanged freely. I also wish them luck in their cementing of the alliance with the Danes who as we speak creep ever closer to His Majesty's Island of Jamaica.

Gentlemen, His Majesty, God save the KING!

• Like 6

My Lord Caldwell, the French Republic knows all to well of old friends becoming enemies. As is known by some our old alloy the US has done what this young admiral assumes is morally wrong to the French Republic. They now show actions that make me wounded if they're are related more to the Danish then to your majesty. As you well know Lord Caldwell, the French Republic feels if tyranny returns to the British colonies under the guise of an elected government than clearly the British should free their old subjects. The free people of France stand with you in these turbulent times.

vive la République

• Like 2

I wonder, are alliances so fragile or Admirals so vindictive over infantile slight,

That treaties are reneged and islands ceded in construct of your countrymen's plight?

Perhaps it is the waning of power that holds these grand foreign men loyal to another,

Innocent of all injustice, for their eyes doth thy cover.

Observe the High Ground hath been deserted on principle of puerile and sophomoric consideration,

There won't be found a man of conscience who dare hold them in regards for imitation.

This I consider to be behind a sheer veil, while the former stands as a blatant "j'accuse."

That's a very nice poem, sir, but it does not change the fact that the rules of expansion have clearly shown that one's authority to lay claim on territory begins and ends with their firepower.

You simply cannot expect to take and hold islands when you cannot muster the numbers to defend them. The Kingston area is our home. It is where our new players set out from, it is where our centre of power is as a nation. Not the Antilles. Please do not take surprise or offense when the majority of the British nation reads the tactical situation correctly and fortifies our home waters from ever encroaching enemies.

Edited by SirSamuelHood

I wonder, are alliances so fragile or Admirals so vindictive over infantile slight,

That treaties are reneged and islands ceded in construct of your countrymen's plight?

Perhaps it is the waning of power that holds these grand foreign men loyal to another,

Innocent of all injustice, for their eyes doth thy cover.

Observe the High Ground hath been deserted on principle of puerile and sophomoric consideration,

There won't be found a man of conscience who dare hold them in regards for imitation.

This I consider to be behind a sheer veil, while the former stands as a blatant "j'accuse."

I thank you for the effort you put into your grandiose riposte... but words do not defend Ports sir, firepower and ships do!

I thank you for the effort you put into your grandiose riposte... but words do not defend Ports sir, firepower and ships do!

While you may be right -- we are in want of numbers and firepower in the Antilles -- it is also a more noble pursuit to defend His Majesty's Empire, not merely His ports. That you fail to find alarming that Great Britain's stable presence in the Antilles has been lost is a testament to your shallow understanding of what it is to defend His Majesty's interests.

It is a shame that so many find leadership in a man whose only "strength" is diplomacy and finding friendship in those who are, in fact, enemies. What is the cost? The glory of Great Britain.

Sir, pirates are an easy enemy -- you should hardly expect us to bravo you and your company for making them a primary target. It seems to take a clever mind to detect insidious, and thus more serious, threats. 

So that in exchange for some islands in the east the British Empire now boasts the mighty island of Haiti is of no relevance to you? Instead of taking pride in His Majesty's diplomatic abilities you try to unsettle the King's peace? Daring, Sir, daring.

Edited by Nathaniel
  • Like 2

While you may be right -- we are in want of numbers and firepower in the Antilles -- it is also a more noble pursuit to defend His Majesty's Empire, not merely His ports. That you fail to find alarming that Great Britain's stable presence in the Antilles has been lost is a testament to your shallow understanding of what it is to defend His Majesty's interests.

It is a shame that so many find leadership in a man whose only "strength" is diplomacy and finding friendship in those who are, in fact, enemies. What is the cost? The glory of Great Britain.

Sir, pirates are an easy enemy -- you should hardly expect us to bravo you and your company for making them a primary target. It seems to take a clever mind to detect insidious, and thus more serious, threats. 

With the greatest of respect M'lady....

The Antilles is impossible to hold without numbers, we are stationed in Haiti and have a job to do there. I will not spread myself thin to please the whims of those fresh in from Portsmouth.

Your statement "Sir, Pirates are an easy enemy" to me shows the complete lack of situational awareness, to the point of complete naivety. Madam they are the 2nd largest fleet in game, they are organised and destroy all in their path. They field 25 3rd Rates when taking ports and with the current BR system will be difficult to stop!

Again good luck with your venture recapturing the Western Antilles, my Fleet cannot help you.

• Like 3

And do you measure your Fleet's success by the same standards of your diplomatic negotiations? If so perhaps we are better off without your Fleet.

I measure nothing or claim successes..... I merely state the actual situation in game!

With regard to diplomatic negotiations I would have thought it far more prudent to contact me direct, rather that publicly lambasting a fellow British Captain based on your Squadrons unsound strategy.

Now if you are forced to relocate to Haiti or Port Royal, we of course will afford you all the aid you need against the enemies of the Crown, if you insist on holding Plymouth as the last bastion of British influence in the east then I repeat good luck sir.

• Like 3

Our brave ships and men have been on station now for over a year, suffering in fortitude all that nature's fury and His Majesties enemies can throw against them. And among all those brave men there is not one that does not have full confidence in our leaders

You may not be aware, Sir, that concentration of forces has long been an important principle of warfare and was it not Frederick the Great who said "He who defends everything defends nothing"?

Indeed, one might even question the motives of one who would wish to split His Majesties forces in such a way to make them vulnerable to defeat in detail

I remain etc. etc.
Edited by mouse of war
  • Like 2

Brave naval officers of his Majesty's United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern ireland.

Although I serve the french, it grieves me so to see two very capable commands of my homeland torn so and in grievance of one another. I besiege you please, stop this discontent before too much is said and done, and this how much can be accomplished if you worked together. I understand things have happened that one guild agrees with whilst another does not and it has had dramatic consequences, but it's happened and in my opinion can only be made right through correct private dialogue, compassion, understand and fortitude. While you're doing that just imagine britain's enemies right now reading your polite yet unfriendly messages, they'll be rubbing their hands together and preparing their popcorn out (especially those folks from the thirteen colonies, damn rebels).

I'm sure I don't speak for myself, and I beg you to try, please. For the good of Britain.

Yours most humbly

Martin W Morey de Saumarez

Edited by Morey
  • Like 2

You simply cannot expect to take and hold islands when you cannot muster the numbers to defend them. The Kingston area is our home. It is where our new players set out from, it is where our centre of power is as a nation. Not the Antilles. Please do not take surprise or offense when the majority of the British nation reads the tactical situation correctly and fortifies our home waters from ever encroaching enemies.

Sir Samuel Hood,

Might I pursue a line of inquiry as to why you feel sending British ships to capture Cuba and other territories not loyal to His Majesty when there are sovereign territories of The Crown being laid to ruin by other nations? The Royal Navy is not the French or Dutch navy. We pursue our duty with courage and steel!

Need I remind you what happened to Admiral Byng who perhaps shared what was considered an over cautious command? Royal Navy commanders should be urging their ships to not only the Antillies, but the Bahamas and any of our King's territories and people that have been set upon by tyrants.

Yours faithfully,

Samuel Mountbatten

Gentlemen, 

I think Morey's words ring true.. but what's probably more important is that you must let go of the concept that we are beholden to historical accuracy with regard to historical territory, ports and property are fluid, we must be practical. The Antilles were essentially lost to us on day one, without a substantial fleet there they CANNOT be held!

Your stubborn insistence on this being a priority to HRH Navy ingame is unrealistic and unsound. You are a small but growing community of Captains, when you have the numbers by all means defend them but when you number in the 10's of ships, you physically cannot defeat 100's.

Because the sovereign territory of the crown, that is, Jamaica, is under threat from three possible direct avenues of attack. If we forsook those waterways to play the same overextended empire game that Spain has been forced into (and we've seen how well a nation can hold too many ports with too few ships), new British players would be ganked and seal clubbed by pirates and Danes within sight of Jamaica.

There may very well come a time when the historical sovereign territories of HM the King become tactically advantageous again, unfortunately this is not it. There is no need to rush. We have a long map ahead of us, and it's important that our home waters are an impenetrable stronghold before we worry about the borders of the map. 

• Like 1