Game-Labs Forum

Premium Club and Account Upgrades

Premium Club and Account Upgrades

Do we need it and what should be included for Premium accounts?

My suggestions:

Create premium one time paid $50 accounts for those who want more control. Free to play but you can pay and get more. After you get premium account it will stay permanently. 

Create accounts upgrades.

Sell xp boosters, reputation boosters, gold find boosters etc.

Sell premium sails, flags and figureheads.

Unique ship paint colors. Yes colors can be limited to all starting players and will be unlocked as you explore?

Premium members get much larger society access.

Economy labor bonus.

Premium ships. (1 free when join the club)

Premium Avatar clothing, swords and items.

Premium items for captain cabins customization.

Any other? 

Off topic:

The most important part is to keep cross-teaming and server hopping at low. GW2 got a nice player control, it is expensive to switch servers, but you still can :D   

• Like 1

I would absolutely pay for all those things. There's also the possibility of going more the GW2 and just sell the items individually, which may be a better financial option for some.

Like in GW2, the key is to mainly sell non combat items, to prevent the game becoming unbalanced.

Premium Club and Account Upgrades

Do we need it and what should be included for Premium accounts?

I think we need 1 (one) type of account in order to make every player just as privileged as any other player.

My suggestions:

Create premium one time paid $50 accounts for those who want more control. Free to play but you can pay and get more.

What you suggest here is pay-to-win.

Premium members get much larger society access.

Economy labor bonus.

Premium ships. (1 free when join the club)

And these are examples of pay-to-win features.

Unique ship paint colors. Yes colors can be limited to all starting players and will be unlocked as you explore?

Premium Avatar clothing, swords and items.

Premium items for captain cabins customization.

These are fanity features, they are fine because they do not, in any way, influence the balance of power.

For me, if anything that even smells like pay-to-win would ever be implemented in this game, my support for it will instantly drop to null/void/zero.

Cheers,

Brigand

• Like 5

I think we need 1 (one) type of account in order to make every player just as privileged as any other player.

These are fanity features, they are fine because they do not, in any way, influence the balance of power.

For me, if anything that even smells like pay-to-win would ever be implemented in this game, my support for it will instantly drop to null/void/zero.

Cheers,

Brigand

Nice to see you're still alive Brigand. :P I also have to entirely agree with you.

• Like 1

Cheers,

Brigand

I mostly suggest visual/bonus privileges for premium accounts. XP bonus/Gold bonus will not interact with fights. Nothing here that would cause imbalance in pvp or other fights. Same boat specs, just cool looking model ship for premium. Same for avatar clothing and avatar items. All visual only. We can have (prioritized Port Battle access for premium accounts) so, Premium players get better chance of getting in PB.

Few thoughts

From the talk of pre-orders I'm assuming the plan is an upfront purchase price and then micro-transactions to maintain the cash flow.

Selling customization items alone probably wouldn't bring in sufficient income, certainly didn't work out for PotBS, and would force more development time spent on this area if it was the main source of money. 

Would have no problem with selling premium account time, faster advancement is fine so long as the gap isn't too big. Plus, solid source of income that doesn't divert devs from working on important things like new ships and maps.

Not a fan of premium ships because they more or less rule out the prospect of loss-based gameplay, but if they are to be sold they should be balanced within the existing ships (meaning not the most powerful or best of any type) and probably nothing above 4th rate size.

However they do it, it should mimic to some degree Potbs BSN setup. I think the ability to sell BSNs in the auction house to players that lack the funs to buy the "good" stuff with real money allows someone with alot of it to add revenue to the game by buying for others. 

• Like 2

Didn't like BSN myself (unnecessary complication in a game that already had too many currencies), but the idea of being able to trade the premium currency is good.

Call it silver and gold for simplicity, perhaps trades could be done on an auction house as mentioned or there might even players setting up as dedicated currency exchange merchants. And of course nothing stopping players trading directly.

Yeah, that would be fine with me. It wouldn't have to be set up like Potbs. Its just borrowing the idea that if there is premium currency then it should be trade-able between online players.

If its not done this way then a player buys only the those items he wants and then never buys again but a if a player  can trade the premium currency then he will spend money for everyone else so that he will have easy ingame money.

• Like 1

If I was making an Age of Sail mmo, I would implement various time limitations for important tasks. Refitting a vessel with new characteristics, enrolling in the service of a different nation, recruiting seamen, obtaining a temporary command, getting your officers paroled or exchanged after a defeat, etc.

All these things are important events that realistically should have a cooldown or warmup period of a real-time day or so. At the same time, they are things that won't break the game if sped up, and are therefore great targets for microstransactions.

• Like 1

Lets say we have 2 types of game currency:

Diamonds - Purchase with cash from game store. (With these player can purchase premium ships , avatar customization items, chests, keys, boosters etc) Can be exchanged into Gold (GW2 style)

Gold - Basic game currency, earned from trading, missions, events etc. (Can be exchanged into Diamonds)

Premium members can have better exchange rate.

Example:

gw2_exchange.jpg

there is something similar in star trek online i think there is an exchange there with something rare ingame that you can trade with other players for real money currency.

but i can remember the name didnt played it that long to get into it.

i just want something to keep throwing money to suport the upkeep of the servers yet not to be pay2win.

ist actually hard to come up with something because well if you dont like the sail colors they are offering you keep the 0815 sails on.

even if the devs are former potbs players like us they still have to make profit to pay the bills and i dont want to see it geting taken over by some biger puplisher and get driven against the wall.

about prenium ships... what could they be?

some old fat assed galeon for long distance hauling?

yes it will have an ,,op,, cargo space compared to the others but: fat and slow. so yet no real pay2win.

maybe just some ,,skins,, like in trackmania changing the basic corvette to another one from the looks but same speed, gun numbers, rigging.

kinda like my sugestion adding another stern to the 74gun  HMS Bellona the testers have now so we would have same hull,rigging,gun but another look to it.

the only problem will be that some hardcore historians will start bitching like in potbs about the ,,Sultan,,flute or the Oliphant eastindiaman looks historical but isnt.

maaaaayyyyybe we could to later some Special ships the are actual still existing museum ships where a certain % of the price will be donated to the museum for restoration and upkeep of the old sailships.

vasa,gothborg,lady washington,victoy just to name some.

Oh my god people are actually agreeing with these suggestions and expanding on them???

What has happened to the world?

This isn't your free to play iPod game. This is a proper PC game. Micro transactions should be none gameplay related. Aesthetics only. You buy the game you get the damn game. None of these iPod f2p features.

i'm sorry Lemonater that here are people who got to much money to throw at gamelabs to keep the servers and development up.

atleast we are worried about things that would be to much pay2win.

kind a like in Guns of Icarus online where you can buy some dye for your clothes or a figurehead for a couple cent each.

but for my taste its to early in development to think about account upgrades and stuff.

In all my 20,000 combined posts on various gaming forums I have never seen a bunch of people agree with this sorta thing. I love this game by I don't want it to turn into a game where real money becomes nessesary. Where stuff that costs real money is advertised all over the place no matter how subtle it is.

Most MMOs these days rely heavily on real cash. Its kinda sad. They are addicting without the money but you always get to a certain point where you pretty much have to pay to get anywhere. Even the non free to play ones. I can understand why free to play MMOs have this stuff. But many MMO games you pay $60 for often have similar damn things.

Wind's idea for current, while a great idea for a free to play iPod game would be horrible for this game.

Who do you want the audience to be? Casuals with money? Or dedicated players.

And a monthly subscription fee is better?

$60 (remember when games cost $50?) can't fund an MMO with servers and GMs and patches and content upgrades and support staff. It can barely fund a SP shooter with deathmatch servers anymore.

And a monthly subscription fee is better?

$60 (remember when games cost $50?) can't fund an MMO with servers and GMs and patches and content upgrades and support staff. It can barely fund a SP shooter with deathmatch servers anymore.

Heard of Chivalry? Game costs $25 most people got it for about $6 in the sales and the developers host 100+ servers worldwide. It only has aesthetic micro transactions. Which I'm fine with. And it has patches, content upgrades and competitions that they pay the winners for. Little indie company.

Famous ships as micro-transactions are fine too.

Heard of Chivalry? Game costs $25 most people got it for about $6 in the sales and the developers host 100+ servers worldwide. It only has aesthetic micro transactions. Which I'm fine with. And it has patches, content upgrades and competitions that they pay the winners for. Little indie company.

Famous ships as micro-transactions are fine too.

Chivalry is an FPS with medieval weaponry, so those servers and support required for them are nowhere near the level needed for an MMO. Also, its sold a couple of million copies, so regardless if that's at $6 per copy or $25 per copy that is a lot of money  :P

Plus, you could create half a dozen new maps and swords for that game for the same effort required for one NA ship, so their update rate may be good but it wouldn't be satisfactory here. Naval Action will need a strong cash flow to progress beyond simple arena battles, and micro-transactions offers this, so long as the right things are being sold.

The line for me here is whether you would need to pay real money to compete and be successful, nothing in this thread really crosses that line 

Chivalry is an FPS with medieval weaponry, so those servers and support required for them are nowhere near the level needed for an MMO. Also, its sold a couple of million copies, so regardless if that's at $6 per copy or $25 per copy that is a lot of money  :P

Plus, you could create half a dozen new maps and swords for that game for the same effort required for one NA ship, so their update rate may be good but it wouldn't be satisfactory here. Naval Action will need a strong cash flow to progress beyond simple arena battles, and micro-transactions offers this, so long as the right things are being sold.

The line for me here is whether you would need to pay real money to compete and be successful, nothing in this thread really crosses that line

Yeah the right things being sold. Not half the stuff these guys are suggesting. Servers would be around $30,000 a year for Torn banner, developers of chivalry. Maps take about 2 months each for the developer who only has one map designer. Takes longer for the community to make a proper Team objective map.

And yes stuff does cross that line of yours of yours. "Premium members get much larger society access, Economy labor bonus, Sell xp boosters, reputation boosters, gold find boosters etc." That's what I call pay to win.

Having a premium currency is a bad idea also.

actually most of the servers that get hosted on games are privatly founded dezi servers of some clans.

prenium currencly is not so bad if you can trade it with other players ingame.

you want on potbs BSN? that would be 100k in game money or 2h our of semi afk fleeting just to anme an example

you could also trade on of the future naval action prenium money( if we have one by then) for a shipload of goods like: lignum vitea, sugar(the white gold back then) teak,oak and and and.

this way some whale's can keep donating money and some who dont want to still get the ,,real money,, stuff

A premium currency gives off all the wrong signals. There's a very large amount of gamers who don't like it. Mostly the older generation of gamers. Or the poor uni students. Better off just buying extra stuff then and there instead of having this premium currency. It also cuts out the middle man when you want to buy something.

depends all on the way its implemented, yet how are these students or middleman suposed to pay an monthly fine of 10$/€ or just the basic onetime 50bucks.

and then nothing is free not even the time the devs spend making the game. and this prenium talking is mostly because we are speculating that it will be f2p.

yet the devs have not desided wich payment model they choose in the end.

so what would be your sugestion for gamelabs to get enough money to pay the bills?