Game-Labs Forum

French super-frigate Didon, 1828, (with plans)

No super-frigate. She was a 'normal' frégate de 1er orde of the late 1820s, early 1830s with an unified armamet. I think she got two 80-pounder shell guns some time later, though.

If you really want a super-frigate of that era, there´s the Tréméraire-class rasée Guerrière (ex-Romulus, launched 1812, cut down 1821 ), armed with 30 36-pound long guns and 28 36-pound carronades (the french pound is heavier, so that would be ~ 40 british pounds, giving her pretty much the same broadside weight as the Victory at the time of Trafalgar). She seems to have been an excellent sailor as well.

Edited by Malachi

This frigate is follows of the program of the Commission de Paris from 1824.

Plans are established by F. Leroux.

1825-1828 - 1867

54,40m x 14,10m x 7,05m

28-guns. of 30-pdr carronade of 30 x 26 x 2-pdr howitzer 80 x 4-guns of 30 shell (regulation 1837)

Build to Toulon

gm05pl11.jpg

Well, I put it because it was launched before 1830. We might have to reconsider the time limits, these 1820s ships are really overpowered. And look ugly.

Ships built after or around 1790 really began to look pretty plain I think as well. In all honesty, I'd much have preferred this game cover the 17th century with the galleons and the very tail end of the carracks instead of the 18th-early 19th. But, as it is the only game of this type really, I'm more than happy to have it around.

Edited by Arnaud Arpes
  • Like 1