Game-Labs Forum

now please naval purists, don't butcher me xD. I'm very unfamiliar with the english names for sails. I know that jibs and staysails aren't lateen sails. But it's proving a hard challenge for me to learn all the proper names. And the point gets across. I hope :D.

now please naval purists, don't butcher me xD. I'm very unfamiliar with the english names for sails. I know that jibs and staysails aren't lateen sails. But it's proving a hard challenge for me to learn all the proper names. And the point gets across. I hope :D.

Really Thx for the video.

Video where I sink after going through the land.

Look mah, I'm sinking on the tele!  Well, sort of...

I had a feeling I was going to end up on a youtube video after that fight and it happened to be the one I'm sailing through an island!

To be frank, I didn't even notice I was going at it, had collisions been modeled I would have been done.  Which reminds me, will these show up on the map in the future, once collision models are added?  T'was a fun fight :)

EDIT:  Anyway to change the in game name?  It shows my Steam name, Balck, but even after changing it to Jack Naseby it remained as Balck in NA.

@RAM:

Your tacking procedure is working fine. However. When you get your main and mizzenmast yards over immediately at the point where you are about 35° to the wind it will make you faster in the turn.

Also you can keep your foreyards at the last maximum position and only gradually move them back after you went through the wind (again only when your off the point where it doesnt give you any more rotation. about 35°).

I wanted to do a video about my tacking yesterday and found out.. I hit the wrong button and did record nothing -.-

Ill do it asap. But i am pretty busy with RL stuff and may not have the time to do so today.

For a comparism:

Your slowest speeds in your maneuver is coming down to 2.3 knots while my tactic will still keep you over 4 knots.

@RAM:

Your tacking procedure is working fine. However. When you get your main and mizzenmast yards over immediately at the point where you are about 35° to the wind it will make you faster in the turn.

Also you can keep your foreyards at the last maximum position and only gradually move them back after you went through the wind (again only when your off the point where it doesnt give you any more rotation. about 35°).

I wanted to do a video about my tacking yesterday and found out.. I hit the wrong button and did record nothing -.-

Ill do it asap. But i am pretty busy with RL stuff and may not have the time to do so today.

For a comparism:

Your slowest speeds in your maneuver is coming down to 2.3 knots while my tactic will still keep you over 4 knots.

You mean swapping the main and mizzen first, then work the foremast yards?. Yep, I'm finding it makes the tack faster aswell. Figured it out during a battle when I was alredy very slow and maybe 30º off the wind. Rudder wasn't putting me into the wind at all so I just used logic. Catching the wind with the aft yards would straighten my ship into the wind, and then I could use the foreyard to put my nose away of it as soon as I crossed the wind. Worked like a charm, and now all my tacks are aft yards first, foremast later.

I'll probably comment about it in a future video. I've found that doing it that way doesn't just allow you to complete a tack faster, but to actually go into the wind fast to shoot a broadside, swivel the rear yards to the other side immediately and use the foresails to fall to the same side I was moving from, going backwards and using opposite rudder, to fall in the direction I was originally moving in to deliver yet another broadside from the other side.  Is one of my favorite moves with the Surprise now, specially because the enemy never sees it coming, as soon as they see you moving into the wind they assume you're going to complete the tack. When you stop midway and start moving backwards to fall back to your original course they're usually left jaw open thinking "WTF"...and eating 2 broadsides, let's not forget about that ;).

Beginning of a 6v6 in a light storm:

Bandicam crashed but the battle finished 50min later, with 3 hulls and 2 half masts. We got splits, regroups, 1st rates going down, stern camps, long range demasting, 3 frigates bow camping a Bellona, lots of fog and powder !

Epicz !

• Like 1

Storms, high seas, fog, two Surprises fighting a Constitution, guns shooting, boarding action...what else can one expect from a great game? :D

it seems very glitchy.. did it lag during recording? impossible to watch almost.)))