Game-Labs Forum

Feedback is always welcome

fully animated cloth sales are not yet possible ;)

Not possible for performance reasons, or just not implemented?

Will we see something on par with POTBS's pre-baked sail animations? They looked natural (except was setting or furling).

The one thing is the video that caught my eye was the distant ship in one of the fleet videos. She was constantly setting and furling her topsails. It's not possible to have topgallants and royals set when the topsails are not raised. Also, when the sails are furled, there is a conspicuous line running from one yardarm to the other that really shouldn't be there. Empire: Total War had it to, like an outline of where the sail will be. It doesn't exist like that and just looks odd.

The report of even a 32 pounder carronade is pretty sharp and loud, when I was on Niagara we fired them during day sails with a 2lb "saluting" charge and they still thundered across the bay, but with a 6 or ten pound charge they are deafening.

• Like 2

I think I can handle what I have seen so far.  I understand that if the speeds were exactly accurate the game would lose alot of players who are not interested in that pace.  One thing about speed that I will be watching closely is the speeds of different types of ships.  Its very important that each ship class has it's own speed characteristic.  The longer and slimmer a ship was on the waterline the faster she could go.  So a 20 ft cutter was much more nimble and could turn and tack faster than a frigate but she could not achieve the hull speeds in a straight line speed contest with a 44 gun frigate of the American type that could top 14 knots.  A good simple example is that most 20 ft modern sailing sloops have a hull speed of about 5-6 knots, they cannot exceed that speed unless they are surfing down swells and overcoming their bow wave.  So Niagara with a hull speed of 14 knots will outrun a modern sloop in moderate to heavy winds no problem, but in extremely light winds the sloop is lighter and usually able to go faster and maneuver quicker.  So in San Fransisco bay on Lady in light winds the sloops would pass us by while we would make 3 or 4 knots with her bluff bow and relatively small light wind sail area, but in 15+ knots we would sail right by most of the 20-25 foot sail boats.

So in the game, there should be general classes of vessel size that have a higher speed like Constitution and similar frigates, where smaller frigates like surprise should go slightly slower, and giant 1st rates while having a long waterline length were not as slim as frigates so hull speed dropped, I believe the fastest Victory ever went was 10 knots and that was probably in a gale.  Small cutters and schooners should maneuver quicker and have speed advantages in light winds.  This all comes back to ship speed relative to wind speed, which I dont think has been implemented yet.  But a general system of speeds for different classes of vessel would be relatively easy.  The amount of sail set should also affect ship speed, I will be looking closely for this too.

Ships should also have small speed bonuses and handicaps depending on points of sail, The best point of sail for a square rigger is broad reach because every sail, square and fore and aft can fill without being blanketed and the wind is coming at a 45 degree angle from astern.  Closed hauled there should be a minor slowdown in speed in moderate weather, and more in storms, running before the wind in storms should have a significant speed bonus same as broad reaching.  Broad reaching in normal to moderate conditions should have a speed bonus over running, beam reach, and close hauled.  When running, good practice is to set most sail on the fore and let the ship be pulled along, setting lots of sail on the main will blanket the fore and if in decent wind the ship will steer squirelly because she is being pushed by a pivot point at the stern.  Sometimes the foretopsail, course, topgallant, and main topgallant will be set, the main topgallant adds a little drive and does not usually blanket any of the foresails because it is slightly higher than the fore topgallant.

• Like 2

I'm of the mind that the closer to accurate for speed the better, honestly. The problem with ships going really fast (they all look like they are moving 20 knots to me) is that it massively compresses decision making. In a game where you are skipper, and just giving orders, and the crew makes it happen that's not so bad, but if you are expected to brace yards yourself, aim guns (instead of just yelling, "Fire!"), etc, etc, then a more realistic pace is better since you'll still be doing more jobs than you should.

I have rather a lot of experience in a ww2 Fleet Type submarine in SH4, for example. The game has time compression, obviously. 1;1 is almost too fast sometimes in a convoy attack, even when submerged and making 2 knots vs merchants going only 7. Those speeds are entirely consistent with age of sail. For most of the engagement, 1:1 feels slow, but once things start to happen, they happen VERY fast, and making a shot, then trying to turn for the aft tubes, all the while planning my dive and evasion from that Kaibokan with a bone in his teeth becomes very fraught.

At the speeds shown in the vid, it seems like it would be OK on approach, then sort of insanely fast.

maybe on "match" play, or even regular play right as the action is about to start there can be an instant poll of time compression options, and the winning vote takes it (1:1, 1:2, etc), that way you might fall in with like minded players and not have all fights at high speed.

Imagine trying to keep a line of battle organized at 3X speed, while as the player you have to somehow aim guns, etc. If your admiral calls to tack in succession, you'll be so concentrated on when to turn, you'd not be able to do anything else at all at 3 speed.

• Like 2

In my heart I completely agree with you Tater, im just not sure they are willing to make the game that way.  But I might be wrong.  Having actually tried to outmaneuver another ship in real life, the actual speeds are one of the most important factors to consider when deciding what approach to take.  Victory does look like shes barreling along at 15 knots or so in light wind where she might make 4 or 5 with all the light weather studdingsails set in real life.  I would really like to see the game reflect this too.  But if it doesn't end up that way I'll stay play the game.

Oo, I just noticed something important.  When the Spritsail and Sprit topsail are set, there yards are braced in a similar manner to all the other square sail, so they should all be braced to the same angle.  I noticed in the videos of HMS Victory they are square, they would not be drawing wind efficiently when the wind is coming at an angle like that. 

Sticks out like a sore thumb to me now that I noticed it.

• Like 2

Hopefully the ships are all sailing at the right speed, and time is compressed. That way, as an option (even if just in some sort of special play mode) it can be set to 1:1.

Oo, I just noticed something important.  When the Spritsail and Sprit topsail are set, there yards are braced in a similar manner to all the other square sail, so they should all be braced to the same angle.  I noticed in the videos of HMS Victory they are square, they would not be drawing wind efficiently when the wind is coming at an angle like that. 

Sticks out like a sore thumb to me now that I noticed it.

I recall in one of the POB books a scene where Jack Aubrey was shown a painting of a ship off the coast and all he could think of was that as the painter had placed her she'd never tack in time and would end up on the rocks (or something like that). Your posts remind me of that (which is a good thing) :)

• Like 1

Hahaha, I absolutely remember that, although I can't remember which volume that was.  I need to get back into the series, I read them one after the other until the Ionian mission and have been taking a break and reading some non fiction.  Such a wonderful series, sparks a fire in anyone's imagination.  When I knew nothing of how all this worked I read the books and needed to find everything out, the first time I sailed on Lady Washington about 3/4's of what I had read made sense all of a sudden, it was a wonderful feeling, the books took on new meaning.

JohnyReb had posted a suggestion for variable time compression (TC) in the map view, which I'm not keen on, but in tactical mode it could actually work. Just have the TC speed up when the ships are past extreme range for any 2 hostiles. Once they hit extreme range (any 2 ships that are hostile, even if the rest of the combatants were far away), then the TC might look like the youtube video, and just before the nearest 2 enemies get to "effective" range it drops to 1:1 (which would really be "point blank" for age of sail gunnery (meaning firing level, as almost all shooting was actually done that way, gun elevation was to insure a level shot, to to change the range)).

Something like that could actually work pretty seamlessly. They could even have the TC on a slider, and you see that as you approach the enemy, the TC goes from 5X to X. Players have zero control of this, it just compares the line between nearest 2 enemy, and slides the TC.

Actually, such a system would allow longer initial ranges, because it could start with TC set so that from sighting a sail at 20nm, down to all ships hull-up takes only a few minutes, then it drops to a fast, but manageable TC, then slides continuously down until at point-blank it's 1:1.

• Like 3

I completely agree with that system!  Best of both worlds.  Combat should be proper speed.  And ships should have individual class specific speed characteristics.

Also when ships are really going 14 knots, real world speed, say USS Constitution, there would be ALOT of turbulence, huge bow wave, spray flying, and defined foamy wake.  Victories turbulence looks about correct for the wind state in the video but her speed is 3 times what it should be :)

Oh, and this is what a Big ship looks like going between 9 and 10 knots, YEAH BABY!! Look at that foam!  Just churning up the deep!  I always hated when East Indiamen are referred to as tea wagons, look at her go!  Shes not a 1850's tea clipper by any stretch but 192 NM is a fine days run, thats an average of 8 knots.

• Like 2

Actually, the sliding tactical TC system could seamlessly work with the "map mode" as well. Assuming the map TC is well in excess of any tactical TC, the map TC is the "highly compressed" baseline. As soon as you hit the range on the map mode where a sail can be sighted (15-25nm or so, typically), the TC starts dropping. You can then maneuver (real sailing model here, so tacking, wearing, etc) at a speedy, but manageable TC. As the range closes to some value, it drops you to the deck of the ship in tactical mode (at the same TC, and the TC continuously slides towards 1:1 as you approach typical gunfire range.

Here's a video from the alpha test, 4v4 battle, 'Victory' first rate ships. I used bad recording settings, thus the quality is poor.

It gives a first impression, but it is alpha test. It is a temporary UI and everything seen in the video is subject to change.

• Like 1