Game-Labs Forum

Broadside accuracy

To give some hard figures, 10m vertical dispersion at 100m range and 45m dispersion at 400m would be fairly realistic for broadside fire (and single fire should reset aiming arcs so people cannot game the system by spamming individual shots). Horizontal dispersion is not as bad as vertical dispersion, for a gunner it's much easier to get bearing right than range, perhaps 2-3 times current values would be correct.

I know changes like this would be a big shock, but 1) this is realistic, and 2) this would solve the longstanding problem of balancing fleet actions and small battles, because reduced effective range would greatly reduce the number of ships that can be doing damage to the same target. Instead of 8-12 ships in line firing on one enemy you'd have 3-4 maximum, which is much easier to balance with 1v1 and 2v2s etc.

The only gameplay aspect that I see bad with this is the battle timer for vessels to flee.  If you engage them at a fair distance, despite being faster and eventually catching up to them without any trouble, the need to damage them every so often so they don't disappear (at least as it currently stands) necessitates a little more accurate shot, whereas in the real world it could just be a matter of sitting and waiting, eating lunch, splicing the main brace, clearing for action, then sending a close range shot across their bow.

• Like 1

To prove that you have an issue, you really need to upload video of it or at the very least give screenshots but video would be best.  Otherwise, since you are the only person with this issue, it doesn't make sense for the devs to devote manpower into hunting for a bug that may or may not be there and might just be user error.

Problem is I can't predict it, like I said in the previous page it happens roughly 30% of the time. I would take a video but Fraps seems to make NA lag for some odd reason. I haven't been playing much anyways as it's finals week and I've been busy studying, I'll try and get on and catch it in a screenshot or something.

I'm not sure if it's an issue with the game or something that I'm not doing right, I never had this problem in sea trials though. And have no problem at all hitting ships from hundreds of yards away with single shot.

I'm still not entirely sure what "locked sector" is, I've never fiddled with it, seems that some people say that's the problem though.

Edited by B24LIBERATOR

Sea trials was pretty forgiving with accuracy.  In OW, nudging your mouse can cause your aim to have to resettle.  The sea was also smoother (except the storm matches).  The only time I get what you are talking about is when I forget to have my gun arcs settle as narrow as possible.  Also, battle sails often helps with narrower gun arcs.

Another thing.  If you fire the top deck broadside it will reset your aiming arcs to a wide arc and it will have to resettle before you fire the bottom deck.  Example:  notice how after I fire the top deck broadside it messes up my aim and dispersion for the bottom deck and those shots go all over?  https://youtu.be/sKwHgb-EuEg?t=4m9s For a brief second you can see the wide aiming arc for my bottom deck.

Look at how narrow my ranging shot arc is here https://youtu.be/sKwHgb-EuEg?t=1m21s That is what you want to go for if you have gold pellew's sites.  If you wait for your arcs to get this narrow and you use "Unlocked Sector Auto," you shouldn't have any troubles.

These aren't exactly the best examples because I am using double in carronades at medium-long carronade range.  Long guns can be even more accurate when using single ball at 500 yards.

Connie "feels" more accurate than a 3rd, but even a 3rd can hit ok. Gold pellews, long guns single shot, unlocked:

Just to be clear, this is *insane* versus the reality of the time. (Not saying I have a problem with it, but just putting things in perspective.)

Thanks for doing that with your sails set.

I don't have time for battle sails shenanigans, I want to be ready for ball deflection turning or jibbing within a second. I'm pretty open about not playing the immersion game or role play.

No bulli, pls maturin

• 4 weeks later...

Somebody must have voted to bring this back up. Reminded me to say that it was the locked sector that was my problem, I must have been pressi ng the button for it by mistake sometimes and messing up the conversion of the guns.

So thanks to whoever suggested I check that :)

• 4 weeks later...