Game-Labs Forum

Currently flags are not on the OW due to optimization issues. 

Here is what will definitely happen:

• sails and yards will turn properly on the OW (right now they are somewhat broken
  • there will be a main flag on your ship
  • on the enemy ships we don't yet know how we will do it because if too many ships gather in one place - too many animated flags will cause fps issues. 
  • Like 5

(...)

• on the enemy ships we don't yet know how we will do it because if too many ships gather in one place - too many animated flags will cause fps issues.

What about a simple non-animated shape (such as a sphere) with the flag around it over enemies' mast that would be visible from anywhere? Something like the current names over NA ports...

• sails and yards will turn properly on the OW (right now they are somewhat broken

Admin, how about closed ports on trader ships to address my other thought. And i understand why flags in open world would be a problem. Thanks for considering my suggestions.

Happy to hear there will be consideration for a flag for my own ship in OW. Please consider a pennant for the top instead. It doesn't help much to see the rear nation flag of my own ship in OW . But that streaming pennant high up on the mast is a great wind indicator when the UI is turned off. Perhaps these pennants could identity you (nation or pirate at least).

Sample clip of using a pennant for checking wind.

I suspected that it was an FPS issue to see other flags. Is it possible to show only a few flags with a limiter that will cancel their presence when there are more than a specified number of ships in a certain radius? (or cancel the animation.) Could we just live without flags on other ships but adapt a very simple colour paint scheme (like a simple symbol) on every ship of each nation, that is only visible within a certain range?

• Like 1

<p>

[*]sails and yards will turn properly on the OW (right now they are somewhat broken

:D

For immersion and cosmetic purposes I would recommend that sails not be caught aback in the OW. If it is easy to disable that part of the animation, anyway.