Game-Labs Forum

I just want skirmish function

Admin you created a great game and the 40 dollars I paid you was well worth it. I love what you have done. In all honesty, I dont want open world I just want to fight like we did in the sea trials. While I understand this isnt part of your plans, you envisioned something bigger and greater and way beyond what I enjoy (something that would amaze me completely), I just wanna fight battles personally. I want to spend 2-6 hours a weekend in 2-6 battles having fun, using tactics, and sink the enemy. You have already given me more than 40$ worth of skilled entertainment but I really just want the skirmish function enabled (with organized battle rooms).

• Like 1

Created a new character with the new patch to test Spain out as they seem to be low on players, having sailed all along the coast of Dom to Cuba and half way along that over the last 3 days, i have seen next to no ships at all included my own nations, and had 4 battles in those 3 days (1 pvp and 3 ai), I am slowly getting really bored trying to find something to hit. I don;t know if it is since the new patch or the new nation, i did not have this problem (prior the last patch) with English, Pirate or the Neutral character i deleted to go Spain. Right now in my starter Lynx and Yacht if i did not know any better i would have quit out of sheer boredom.

So Skirmish mode would be a great way to stop me or a new player from logging out after another 30 - 40 mins of nothing at all. I cannot change my location any faster than the speed i can travel which has been constant with a few stops outside enemy ports twiddling my thumbs before moving on in ever decreasing hope. As it stands right now i am more likely to move to another game where i can have some fun than keep hoping in vain for a sail to appear on the horizon.

If a new player has the sort of luck i am at present i do not see them staying long without some idea of the fun available. 

I believe the route i took from spawn point would be considered a normal choice, it was after all left or right. So my concern is that any new player could get a very misleading idea of the game if they suffer the same fate. Something like skirmish mode would be a great way to keep the player in NA instead of logging off when hitting a really dry spell.

Current goal is to find OW problems and fix them.

I would like to remind you all how skirmish started.

When skirmish tests opened at the end of November the choice of the team was in player hands.

But instead of arranging equal battles with friends against friends, players were joining one side to sealclub new players who just joined on another side.

Players were ganking in skirmish, can you imagine?

That forced us to implement autobalancer

Then players started to run from skirmish battles (with NO losses, no costs, no durabilities and free repairs) wasting other team's time. That was solved by battle circle.

Skirmish became fun after harsh measures were implemented that were completely unhistorical (like magical battle circle).

We have not implemented paywalls, heavy grind and other elements other companies use. Average time to unlock next ship was approximately 20 battles based on average damage.

In WOT you need at least 400 battles to unlock Jagdtiger from the Ferdinand. And it is only for unlock, then you need another 100-200 battles to earn cash for it. And another 500 battles to fully open all upgrades for Jagdtiger (numbers are approximate).

Once everyone got Victory people stopped playing and started to ask for the OW. Now we have OW and post captains and commodores of the world have started to ask for the skirmish ;)

Perhaps you all just secretly want a hardcore lineage 1/2 grind, where you will need 1500 pvp battles to open a Surprise Class? And people who sail a 3rd rate will be a rare sight because no average player can achieve 2000 victories while keeping 70% win rate because it is the only way to get a line ship from the admiralty.

ps. what we learned from all this by the way is that we should ignore immersion if immersion breaking features can improve the gameplay.

• Like 2

Inevitably Players will vote with their mouse selection button when deciding which game to play on the STEAM library.

It depends what the Devs wish to do as a business model and testing purposes (Head count). Are they happy to see players drift away from the game because they are not achieving 'action to time ratio'.

My own opinion is it is better to have skirmish room players who can continue to test battle mechanics, than lose those players to WOT or similar. The players who enjoy OW will still play OW regardless of the skirmish room being active. You max out the testing potential of the games mechanics in this case by re-introducing the skirmish rooms.

My only caveat would be that skirmish 'rank and progression' should be wholly seperate to OW rank and progression.

• Like 1

Someone suggested to enable skirmish room only for newly added ship models. This could be a good way to allow some quick action in low pop / low feature set OW alpha, while at the same time promoting intensive testing of new ship content. There could be some skirmish specific barriers and rewards to promote testing each ship thoroughly.

I would like to see skirmish mode opened up later after some of the core OW mechanics have been implemented:

1) New Boarding

2) Port Battles

3) Crafting

4) Commissions/MIssions/Quests (from both the Navy and maybe neutral ports - even if they are generic 'go out and sink 5 ships' type missions).

5) Basic guild features (create guild, add/remove members, guild chat, ya know the basics)

I think with these things in place plus a brief tutorial, we could open back up skirmish mode right before Steam EA.  

Right now I feel like we keep tweaking combat details over and over and over and are just spinning the wheels on some things, rather than adding more fun things to the game.

I can honestly say I would be in the skirmish room more than OW. I miss Sea Trials. No one seems to want pvp in OW and fighting bots has become very tiring.

I have given up looking for pvp and find my only enjoyment in OW is exploration/mapping. I tested the new trading system hard for 2 days and already desire new content. I understand this is a game in progress and do my best to stay focused, but after yesterday's Trafalgar I could not play anymore knowing the only fights I'll have is against bots.

And the one thing that puzzles me most is the amount of people who chat complain when being attacked. In all the years I have flown combat flight simulators I can't recall one time when someone complained about being attacked. I should add that I have never played POTBS and WOT so I am new to this type of game and wish this was more a combat simulator because many fights in Sea Trials were intense and fun.

Testing is sometimes boring, we understand that.

If I remember sea trial servers were closed because everyone stopped playing them. After spending 27 hours on average. What would be different this time?

• Like 3

Perhaps you all just secretly want a hardcore lineage 1/2 grind, where you will need 1500 pvp battles to open a Surprise Class? 

Testing is sometimes boring, we understand that.

And others seem to forget that  ;) totally legit in this game btw

• 2 months later...

agree with clinch on this while the sea trails were amazing and had lots of fun playing them and then to go to OW testing I feel very let down. For one the wind plays on part in the game and it just feels wrong. I had very high hopes for OW and it didn't meet up. I understand it from a devs point of view as I am a game maker to and we need the tests to better the game but if players are not playing then its all in vain. I do think skirmish mode should be brought back as this was done very well and again when you got in to a big battle with 10+ ships each side it was awesome, even more so when you were in a smaller ship and had to try and avoid the big boys haha was great fun. OW to me is just moving around and trying to find a fight.