Game-Labs Forum

>>> Beta 1.09 Feedback (Released)<<<

Nick Thomadis

Ok let me paint you a picture. In a straggle battle I have only one ship, a battleship with 15 structural integrity and 100 flood and 2 damaged engines so top speed is 8.6. The enemy is 5 destroyers and 1 light cruiser. They come into sight and start peppering me with their guns and scoring hits quite often, I reply and can't hit the broadside of a barn. 20 min later I get lucky and score 2 hits on a dd at the same time it sinks. All the enemy start smoke screen and launch a long range torpedo strike and haul ass. I'm hit by 2 Torps and now structural is 7.8 and flood is down to 25 and speed is 0. They still run away and I win by simply not sinking. Wat?

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Nick Thomadis said:

Beta Update 6 Hotfix (23/10/2022)

-  Fixed turret rotation issue which could cause guns to slightly merge with the superstructure and stuck. Please check if this issue is fully resolved (It was quite random and not consistent). Players should not confuse this bug with the Angled! warning which is an expected functionality.
- Fixed various issues with campaign ship building which could cause auto-design invalid designs, errors and turn delays.
- Reverted temporarily a Technology functionality related with the submarine experiments (they became inactive when all the included technologies were discovered), because they could corrupt the technology tree and permanently destroy the campaign save.
- Fixed bug which caused inconsistent refit time (The time shown in constructor was applied differently when the ship actually became refitted and was much smaller).
- Tension mechanics adjustments so that tension is caused when big fleets enter the water of friendly nations.
- Fixes for formations, addressing some old issues which appeared when players disabled the Auto-Evade of ships. 
- Improved Campaign Fleet merging radius, fixing pathfinding issues and resulting in less "Doomstack" battles, as the fleets will not merge at so large distances.

Please Restart Steam to receive the new update.

I failed to see "Fixed AI refusing to engage" on the list, and came to the game fearing for the worst. Effectively, AI still refuses to engage no matter what. No offence, but any other fix you apply is essentially worthless unless this critical gamecrippling issue is adressed.

• Like 2

Not a bug but a nitpick. While I love the flash fire you guys have in there would it be possible to have actual ship explosion/break apart happen? It could be a rare achievement kinda thing to reflect its rarity in real life.

A la HMS Hood, Barham, Queen Mary, Invincible, Idefatigable, RN Roma, IJNS Yamato and other famous magazine eruptions.

• Like 2

The problem with AI retreating is that it is inconsistent.

At the moment I have Japan campaign where the AI is constantly running away, even in such a ridiculous as 2CA 1CL vs 2BB 1CA 2Cl.

But at the same time, I have the US campaign, where the enemy almost always takes the fight, except in the most unfavorable situations. Another problem is that it is the US and it is difficult to start a war and conduct it with supply system.

Hotfix update: it looks like it will be easier to start a war now, AI responds to a large fleet.

49 minutes ago, The PC Collector said:

I failed to see "Fixed AI refusing to engage" on the list, and came to the game fearing for the worst. Effectively, AI still refuses to engage no matter what. No offence, but any other fix you apply is essentially worthless unless this critical gamecrippling issue is adressed.

I build faster ships. This is nice pressure on the player to make ships fast and because of that less armored with less amount of guns :D

For me this is not a bug, but a bad balance or feature. 

• Sad 1

Well tension is building now....but no war.
I seem to be stuck at -94 relations with both Britain and France, despite getting a good -30, -40 per turn.  Despite this tension won't go below -94.  So Britain and France really don't like me, yet I still can't start a war with them.

Going to echo what many others have said.  Until this system gets worked out, players need a "Let's make sweet war together." button.  Boredom aside, we can't test parts of the game we can't get to.

In regards to AI aggressiveres: It feels nice to actually engage the enemy. In my previous campaign as Japan the enemy would almost always run away. Unless they outnumbered me massively. Especially in BB. Even if the AI retreating after losing one ship while not great, at least it's more fun (even if I usually wipe the floor with the enemy).

Also I encountered the "Stuck on after-Battle loading screen" bug. It's stuck on the "Battle" phase. Interesting thing is this happened after a convoy/coastal raid. This is interesting because I did a few pretty large ones before where I sunk all transports (I think one had 17 TR). But in this one (1 CA vs 2 CL, 1 DD, 2 TR) I decided against going after the transports but sink the warships instead (which I did). But now it's stuck.

Edit: Did the same mission again, leaving the transports afloat (unintentionally) and sunk all the warships, bug happened again. Tried sinking the transports, unintentionally left a ship afloat and the bug happened again. Guess I'm skipping that one.

Edited by StrategicOwl
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Plazma said:

I build faster ships. This is nice pressure on the player to make ships fast and because of that less armored with less amount of guns :D

For me this is not a bug, but a bad balance or feature. 

Sorry, but this is a terrible, non valid argument. AI should try to engage unless the disadvantage is significative. Saying that the AI running like chickens no mather of the situation (I've had a group of 3 BBs running away from a measly 5 CL squad) is not bad because there is a workaround, in this case using faster ships and rushing RDF, is as bad as saying that power outages aren't bad because you can always use candles.

• Like 3

So I've been playing a while and posting bug reports, but this is the first time I've been driven to join the forum or post.

Developers, we are trying to test your software. Please give us what we need to actually test it.

1) Fleet sizes- Battles with massive doomstack fleets fry our computers. How are we supposed to test the game when we can't get through a single fleet engagement.

2) Building New Ships- If we cannot play the game past 10 years, then why was the long campaign implemented? How are we supposed to test technology balance if we can't get past 19xx? This is NEEDs to be fixed so we can actually play the game we are testing. Not only that, but it the game cannot go into any sort of official release running on a single core, nearly 20 years into the era of multi-core processing!!! Not only can we not play the game, it runs badly on even the most powerful computers.

3) Ships running away- Again, this prevents us from getting involved in battles. Even if this is going to be a feature in the completed game, it NEEDs to be toned down strongly, and probably turned nearly off for testing purposes.

4) The insane bloat of the tech tree- This is a mess of the highest order. Tech research times are insane and the way they are random is even more so. Research should be to set a goal, not to put a bunch of time in and hope something good comes out. I've done a few campaigns in previous builds (when I could get more than 10 years in) and half the tree was still unfinished by endgame.

We are here to test and to tell you what is broken so you can focus on developing the game. Please let us have the tools that we need to help you! Even it it isn't wholly representative of the game at large, compromises allow us to actually make sure the game works so you can release a polished product.

On 10/22/2022 at 6:24 PM, Cryadis said:

Personally this seems to be more a long round calculation less a lock of the turn. It depends on the system, i do have ocationally rounds that take rather long to calculate on that step, but it seems to pass in 30 to 60 seconds.

using a laptop with 32GB ram, i9 and a 3080 GTX though, but maybe useful for reference. If you wait long enough i suspect the round will pass.

Quad Channel i9 9900x with RTX2080 64GB here.   And I let the game go on a hang last night... This morning it was still hung with no other programs running (just my AV software, the game STEAM and the NVidia experience.

• Like 2

I love testing the Beta. But I like the Spanish the game locks on December 1893. I used part of a trainer for research  to see what the new techs  are. So far it is great. Now I have come to love using light units up to CA, and as long as I don't get into knife fighting range it is fun. I love the torpedoes. i have read where people are having trouble with getting the ai to declare war. I built four subs to try them out. I noticed they do not get transports or ships that I hope they will. But one sub set to unrestriced warfare will cause aggression  from others. I parked one off Austria and ended up in war with Austria, Italy, and France. Also using light units the enemy does not flee. I do not use god mode. So I rely on speed, unbalanced rudders and zig zag movement. Yes I take losses but far less by not closing but using torps. I did get over confident and lost my favorite CL. (sigh) But I transferred  my fleet sub to off Japan and did the same thing. Preposistioned fleet units to the Philippines in anticipation of  a Pacific conflict. They were about to declare war when game froze. I use  Nitro 5 laptop and it runs the game like a charm. Thankyou for fixing transit time. Could you please find out what causes the freeze. Subs may be abstract but they are useful and fun to play with. I love how the tech upgrades the subs and I have scrapped numerous til I got a good range. another thing please explain how sub range works. I love testing the Beta and pushing it.

ok so i was liking the beta but since the latest patch i have had  nothing but constant hanging on the end of turn usually eithe rship building or tech research. these hangs are permenant having left the pc for up to twenty minutes to test. i cannot even submit the bug reports as the game has crashed according to my machine. this is not fun and the latest patch promised so much and is failing hard. i cant believe im saying this but this patch is currently unplayable for me

6 hours ago, Kane said:

Well tension is building now....but no war.
I seem to be stuck at -94 relations with both Britain and France, despite getting a good -30, -40 per turn.  Despite this tension won't go below -94.  So Britain and France really don't like me, yet I still can't start a war with them.

I've noticed on previous patches that the tension changes sometimes didn't add up properly, haven't seen it yet on this version but sounds like something weird is still going on.

2 hours ago, mikekervin said:

I've noticed on previous patches that the tension changes sometimes didn't add up properly, haven't seen it yet on this version but sounds like something weird is still going on.

I eventually managed to nag them into a war after just over 2 years of relations being stuck at -94 for both, and managed to antagonize Spain into war during the waiting period without trying to.  Also never got a trigger event for war with either Britain nor France.  Just went from relations being locked at -94, to let's make sweet war together.

wth is going on with this game, I have Germany Britain and USA just grouping all of these ships into single stationary doom stacks. Germany and Britain's are right next to each other in the North Sea generating no tension between them. Meanwhile I as Japan am desperately fighting off Russia with little hope of winning giving how broken?? the VP is now I just sunk a heavy cruiser and a light cruiser for the loss of 2 out of 8 old TBs defending a convoy (which was unharmed) and got just 68vp (the Russians got 274 for my 2 TBs). I gotta be honest I'm about ready to give up

• Like 1

I'd like to refit a cruiser (to add the radar I just discovered). I lick the refit button and, without doing any manual change, the refit time start to 16 months (the build time of the cruiser). The only change I noticed is the auto update of the main guns. I sent a bug report for this.

Edit: with some tries, it looks like the build time is added to the refit time. 

Edited by Lastreaumont

6 hours ago, Toby said:

ok so i was liking the beta but since the latest patch i have had  nothing but constant hanging on the end of turn usually eithe rship building or tech research. these hangs are permenant having left the pc for up to twenty minutes to test. i cannot even submit the bug reports as the game has crashed according to my machine. this is not fun and the latest patch promised so much and is failing hard. i cant believe im saying this but this patch is currently unplayable for me

Same here. My game is usually stuck on "Building ships". I've reloaded saves multiple times, sometimes it does not happen again this turn, but inevitably happens 1-2 turns after. Havent been able to advance beyond 1893 with this bug

8 hours ago, Pappystein said:

Quad Channel i9 9900x with RTX2080 64GB here.   And I let the game go on a hang last night... This morning it was still hung with no other programs running (just my AV software, the game STEAM and the NVidia experience.

I stand corrected, I observed at least 2 cases on getting stuck on turn calculation (missions and updating research) by now. It seems you can get around that by alt + F4 and reload the save though.

Also getting stuck when returning to map from manual battle (loadscreen stuck at "...Battles...") in most recent updated.

Besides that i want to point out UAD is fun to play if you do not get stuck so looking forward to more fixing :)

17 hours ago, Nick Thomadis said:

Beta Update 6 Hotfix (23/10/2022)

-  Fixed turret rotation issue which could cause guns to slightly merge with the superstructure and stuck. Please check if this issue is fully resolved (It was quite random and not consistent). Players should not confuse this bug with the Angled! warning which is an expected functionality.

I thought at first my ship's turret refuses to rotate because of inherent ship's flaws something along electricity or something like the flaw makes the system broke down that should be put a warning in the interface, turns out it's a bug and it's already worked on, thank you for your work

12 hours ago, The PC Collector said:

Sorry, but this is a terrible, non valid argument

As I said, this is a balance issue not a bug issue for me. The AI sometimes don't want risk anything. With this same situation 3 BB vs 5 CL I will also run away with 3 BB, because of torpedo, lack of spotting ability, too risky(low profit compared to be able lose 1 BB in stupid way) and also even if I win, the 3 BB will be repair for 1-2 month and that is huge stop, I could be blockaded by the enemy in the next turn. And I will run away not only because I was afraid, but to keep the distance as long as possible. The BB charging into CL is a bad idea in my opinion. 

12 hours ago, The PC Collector said:

AI should try to engage unless the disadvantage is significative.

Why risky the fight 1 vs 1 when we can run away and try 2 vs 1. (especially when they have numerical advantage and disadvantage in quality). I think the AI behave very different depends on something. Example in my campaign Russia run away, but Chines navy engage most of the time, only in situation 1 vs 2 they run away. 

If you are faster you decide when the fight should have a place, but in transport convoy they should engage more often in general.