Game-Labs Forum

Settling the "naming ships" discussion

Naming ships  

304 members have voted

1. 1. What should the game do for naming ships?

• A list of names you can choose from, and an option to name your own ship and the mods confirm
    • Be able to name your own ship without restrictions
    • Name your ship with restrictions
    • Other (Explain)
    • No naming

My ideal system would be:

For a ship that's assigned to a player (naval posting, accepting a commission on behalf of a trading co., etc), a (semi?) random selection from a database of appropriate names for the shiptype. The player does not get to name this ship. This ship does not belong to the player, but to the nation/Admiralty or a trading company or another private owner. If it's not your ship, you don't get to name it. Period. Micro transactions for vanity giving the player a stake in name selection of a commissioned ship (representing some gravitas with the Admiralty or employers) could be implemented. 

For a ship that's 100% owned by the player, naming it becomes player's choice. Either a huge huge database or mod/community approved, but it's the players ship in the end so his or her prerogative. 

Oh, I agree. Firstly that unless you buy or build the ship yourself you shouldn't be to name it and also that any navy ship should be named by random in advance from a list of names.

I would also suggest that before a ship is built that it is referred to by it's class-name (Leda-class, Neptune-class etc.). So in the ship yard click > 'build Leda-class ship'.

If you own the ship I would still prefer an extensive list of available names that you can chose from or if you want to use a bespoke name or simply support the game you can add an appropriate name to the list for a fee.

Brig's suggestion that only you can use that added name until the ship you name sinks is actually quite nice. If you want your ship to be unique don't let her sink! ....Anything that adds to a players desire not to lose their ship is good in my book but the devs want for lots of battles and limited down time between them is probably going to rule that sort of thing out unfortunately.

• Like 1

Naming your ships is a huge (and very fun) part of being the captain! But another huge part of being a captain is the responsibility. 

Restrictions on certain names would be good, and I like the idea of a volunteer "Council" on removing certain names.

I  think every captain ought to have the right to name their own ship.

I fully agree with your last sentence, my suggestion hinges perhaps more around what would be considered a player-owned ship and what wouldn't. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think having your player name on the ships name instead of a big name hovering over your ship would be neat. Make people have to look at your flags to see who you are and who you are affiliated with. This might stop player griefing (if that is ever an issue) and help immersion. I can see in a TDM game it would be an issue to find the enemy so maybe in open world during fleet engagements there could be a red/green flag on top to show the team or a guild flag for guilds. In open sea we will not know who is a " red" player or who is a "green" player other than thier flags. I've posted something like this in another topic but I think it fits better here.

• Like 1

Let people name their ships, with certain restrictions.  Also, limit the name length to something reasonable (and easily identified on the stern), such as 15 letters/spaces.  Other than the obvious vulgarity filters, have a system of reporting offensive ship names and making sure that they're changed.

• Like 1

Other (Explain):

A list of names you can choose from and an option to pay for a custom name in the in-game vanity store. If the name is approved by the mods, you can use the name for one of your ships. If said ship is wrecked, the name is added to the global list of names, so that it can be used by anyone from that point forward.

Why this scheme?

• No immersion breaking names;
  • I can pick the name I like, as long as the moderators approve. I have to pay for this privilege though (it is an ideal 'vanity item'). Because I paid for it, the name is unique (vanity)... but if I wreck my ship, the unique feature gets dropped;
  • It creates an ever increasing list of original, well thought out, names to choose from.

Edit: You would only loose the 'me only' right to the name you paid for, not the ability to use the name. It is just that after the ship you named sank, everybody can use the name, instead of just you. See it as a donation to the community.

Edit 2: Why pay for it? because I would like a human to review and approve the names submitted. I think that there is no better incentive for people to not try ship names like "====UP Yours 99 ===="  than a small pay screen.

~Brigand

Perfect but also allow me to buy the right to only use the name, maybe make a name lock part of a monthly fee. But the names will need to be policed as others have mentioned.

I'd love to be able to name my ship after some of the A/C-130 U's I used to work on.   Also, if the keep the name locked until the ship is lost rule is in effect, you should be able to move the name from ship to ship if you sold or scrapped the prior version.   There was a different thread talking about a captain who had the same name on around 3 or 4 ships...

• 2 weeks later...

We've already paid £40 for the game so I don't like the idea of having to pay additional money to make my own ship just a little different from the hundreds of otherwise identical ships on the sea. Allow us to name our vessels what we want, of course with filters to prevent anything offensive. 

Choosing from an existing list will just get you hundreds of HMS Victory's called "HMS Victory", hundreds of USS Constitutions called USS "Constitution" ect. This will of course happen with names we think of ourselves but if we're just confronted with a list of existing names then pretty much everyone will select "Victory" for their Victory, "Santasima" for their Santasima and so on. There's no imagination. It will feel as if you've just rented your ship. Allow us to create a new name for the ship and it will be like the Victory is of a Victory 'class', of which type your individual Victory is, of which Admiral you yourself are the captain, not Admiral Nelson. It will give you a sense that this is your ship. Which is a good thing. Brings a little creativity to the world. 

We're not role-playing as historical captains and commanders. We ourselves are the captains and commanders of our digital ships, and we should get to name our ships whatever we want, regardless of how "creative" that name may be. I don't mind docking next to "HMS YOLOSWAGBBQ" and "USS Bob" because it shows how their owners express themselves, it's more interesting than parking amongst seven "HMS Trincomalies", and amusing and cleverly named vessels go to making the game more fun.

Edited by SirKittalot
  • Like 1

We've already paid £40 for the game so I don't like the idea of having to pay additional money to make my own ship just a little different from the hundreds of otherwise identical ships on the sea. Allow us to name our vessels what we want, of course with filters to prevent anything offensive. 

Choosing from an existing list will just get you hundreds of HMS Victory's called "HMS Victory", hundreds of USS Constitutions called USS "Constitution" ect. This will of course happen with names we think of ourselves but if we're just confronted with a list of existing names then pretty much everyone will select "Victory" for their Victory, "Santasima" for their Santasima and so on. There's no imagination. It will feel as if you've just rented your ship. Allow us to create a new name for the ship and it will be like the Victory is of a Victory 'class', of which type your individual Victory is, of which Admiral you yourself are the captain, not Admiral Nelson. It will give you a sense that this is your ship. Which is a good thing. Brings a little creativity to the world. 

We're not role-playing as historical captains and commanders. We ourselves are the captains and commanders of our digital ships, and we should get to name our ships whatever we want, regardless of how "creative" that name may be. I don't mind docking next to "HMS YOLOSWAGBBQ" and "USS Bob" because it shows how their owners express themselves, it's more interesting than parking amongst seven "HMS Trincomalies", and amusing and cleverly named vessels go to making the game more fun.

I think there's a way to avoid both HMS YOLOSWAGBBQ and the seven Trincomalees. 

I think that you should be allowed to name your ship with some restrictions, but also that every ship name is unique just like a player name. And inactive ships lose their name after a time. Could also have it so that you lose the ship name when the ship is sunk.

I voted Name your ship with restrictions. I explain that restrictions. (Sorry for my bad english).

Filter for bad language words. Filter for simbols or numbers. If you want write a number you can use the roman number. 

No pay real money for naming of course. In game currency you can pay something for paint the name in hull and bureaucratic taxes (except pirates). 

Make a names list forbidden. In that list enter famous ships names like Victory or other famous ships that all people knows. Or reserved for IA navy ships or whatever you design according gameplay.

No absolutely unique names diferent navys can have same names. If two players choose same name (in the same navy or flag) a message warning but you can place another word for diferentiate. Example: "Victory" exist then you change a "The Victory", or change languague "Victoria". If that name is not in the forbidden list, then you can add a number "Albatross" "Albatross II". I don't think that the count reach "Albatross V" because nobody wants be the second one.

No exclusive names for nobody. But if you have a ship with a name that you have grown affection, when that ship is destroyed you have a time for rename another ship (if you have another ship and paying a little game currency taxes) and conserve it. In this time this name is reserved for you. This time includes ships while they are in construction and registered in the harbour or navy registry.

As extra proposal. In spanish there's a very long ship names "San juan Nepomuceno" or the official name for Santisima Trinidad was "Nuestra Señora de la Santisima Trinidad". If a player name his/her ship with a long name add an abbreviation for paint in the limited space in the hull.

And last, put a notice in the window of naming that pledge the player to put a proper name and change it if it receives valid requirements of other players or admin. If a bad (like HMS Pepsi for example) name gets pass the filters and the player does not want to change it, the game will put a generic name and he can not rename ships in the future. 

• Like 2

There really are plenty of unique ship names to go around, though, without devolving into ridiculous made up names and repetition. 

- Locations: towns, cities, provinces, regions, rivers, mountains

- Animals

- Nation specific people and events

- Abstract concepts such as Furious, Indomitable, Constitution etc etc etc. 

- Mythology

- Female names

- Religious references

In real life I guess that had a registry of ships and other nations don't knows about the other nation's registry.

Make a list with names for choosing is very short minded. 

In Trafalgar had ships with the same name but in other language true?

How many names you can add? Ten thousand? For example if I want naming my ship like my mother's name and that is not in the list that somebody make?

As can be credible this Open World game if I can't have a "Open Word (with bad words filter)" name ship?

I say we should have ship naming with several types of filtering:

-No Symbols

-No Arabic Numbers (Roman Only)

-No Vulgarity

After these filters, there should be a group of chosen volunteers to go through the list of players' ship names to ensure no ridiculous or inappropriate names were missed. I would be glad to do this job, if it were utilized.

For those people that don't want to pay to rename their ship, may I suggest a randomised name feature for each ship in the open world taken from a list of free starter ship names? 

For example:

Someone buys a Constitution for the open world but on purchase it is known as the Arabella. Someone else buys a Constitution and it is called the Carolinas. The next person who buys it finds it is called the Pious

Generic, comparatively uninteresting names that many people will likely want to rename, but on the occasion that people are not bothered, don't want to pay, or even for those that enjoy wondering what their next ship may be called, this function prevents the occasion of seeing hundreds of ships called Constitution sailing the Caribbean which is boring for both the captains themselves and the players they interact with.

What do you think?

Don't pay for name, never. Option for random name for who don't want think about names. Names of famous ships and used names banned for the same navy or nation.

This and my other post are the most realistic and logical way for naming ships.

Other (Explain):

A list of names you can choose from and an option to pay for a custom name in the in-game vanity store. If the name is approved by the mods, you can use the name for one of your ships. If said ship is wrecked, the name is added to the global list of names, so that it can be used by anyone from that point forward.

Why this scheme?

• No immersion breaking names;
  • I can pick the name I like, as long as the moderators approve. I have to pay for this privilege though (it is an ideal 'vanity item'). Because I paid for it, the name is unique (vanity)... but if I wreck my ship, the unique feature gets dropped;
  • It creates an ever increasing list of original, well thought out, names to choose from.

Edit: You would only loose the 'me only' right to the name you paid for, not the ability to use the name. It is just that after the ship you named sank, everybody can use the name, instead of just you. See it as a donation to the community.

Edit 2: Why pay for it? because I would like a human to review and approve the names submitted. I think that there is no better incentive for people to not try ship names like "====UP Yours 99 ===="  than a small pay screen.

~Brigand

Paying to name your ship would help Game-Labs with the added income. It would be a necessary evil, provided the price to have a custom name is reasonable.

Maybe $5 US dollars or less to change a name seems reasonable to me, it's like donating money for development.

• Like 1

Seems more reasonable pay gold ingame. But real money... really? Put limits at game features is bad idea. If I want donate I can do it with a buttom in this webpage or  I can buy a new game or better, buy DLCs.

The one thing I am hoping from naming ships is that they loose the name above any vessel and you can only see it once you get into visual rage. I have watched videos of people playing the game and it looks pretty pathetic seeing stupid names above the ships. I get it when you are in a fleet you should be bale to pick out your guys that I'm cool with but you should not be able to see enemy names outside of your squadron or fleet until you close the range by that time to late to turn away or complete your royal wave if you feel they too hard to fight, but they might see you as a threat and attack you then anyway, so that makes for a great mechanic.

Now to naming policy, for me this is a major bugbear I'm so fed up of seeing idiots who lack imagination because someone got the name they wanted like Hornblow3r or Horn_Blower lets prevent this and try and keep names realistic and get the devs to be stern on this and set a president it would be so refreshing too. It would be nice to have the ability to have more than one word names too like that old pirate William Fly for example called his ship Fame's Revenge. Having the ability to use ' in the title would be useful too within reason of course. I'm all good to prevent abuse such as HMS Fook'Off for example...

I've got another thing I'd like to see about naming too, if you get that amazing name that you want for your ship then if you loose your ship you should have to pay to use that name again on your new ship as Lloyd's Insurance (Dervs) paid out on your ship so they now own the rights to that name HAHA how funny would that be would make you think twice about taking chances too. There should be a name register in game too showing the real persons in game name who bought it and on what ship so if you decided or don't have the money to buy back your name then someone else could buy the name for a second vessel and could sell the vessel with that name for a better fee. This would also add value to names as assets in the game as a commodity.