Game-Labs Forum

German quad main batteries are smaller than triple.

So, long story short, I always noted that german quad 50.6 cm (largest caliber possible) turrets looked (visually) smaller than the triple ones. But yesterday I actually compared them:

The cannons are shorter, and apear to be of a smaller caliber:

Top view size comparison.

1755730439_UltimateAdmiralDreadnoughts02_02_202115_14_39.png.deb36d2b57cb249b7d96cd0dbe83b52c.png

Overlapping size comparison

152330132_UltimateAdmiralDreadnoughts02_02_202115_17_33.png.da376e0ed191d1e691127a942640763f.png

Cannon radius overlapping comparison. There are some optical ilusions, but its very clear the calliber on the quad ones looks much smaller than the triple ones.

146965108_UltimateAdmiralDreadnoughts02_02_202115_17_50.png.675fb68f02f5acf95823456fe1913623.png

I'm posting this so the devs can rescale these to identical dimensions, and to also warn them to search throught.

I didn't go throught deeper testing, but I also found similar issues with the 48.3 cm turrets too, so there might be more problems like these on other time periods and factions.

I hope I was helpfull and thanks for reading this.

EDIT: Since few people checked my "New Turrets for non Major factions" post, I decided to advertise it here:

I made another post related to more variety of turrets. This one I developed more.

Edited by Stormnet
  • Like 1

On 2/2/2021 at 4:29 PM, Stormnet said:

So, long story short, I always noted that german quad 50.6 cm (largest caliber possible) turrets looked (visually) smaller than the triple ones. But yesterday I actually compared them:

The cannons are shorter, and apear to be of a smaller caliber:

Top view size comparison.

1755730439_UltimateAdmiralDreadnoughts02_02_202115_14_39.png.deb36d2b57cb249b7d96cd0dbe83b52c.png

Overlapping size comparison

152330132_UltimateAdmiralDreadnoughts02_02_202115_17_33.png.da376e0ed191d1e691127a942640763f.png

Cannon radius overlapping comparison. There are some optical ilusions, but its very clear the calliber on the quad ones looks much smaller than the triple ones.

146965108_UltimateAdmiralDreadnoughts02_02_202115_17_50.png.675fb68f02f5acf95823456fe1913623.png

I'm posting this so the devs can rescale these to identical dimensions, and to also warn them to search throught.

I didn't go throught deeper testing, but I also found similar issues with the 48.3 cm turrets too, so there might be more problems like these on other time periods and factions.

I hope I was helpfull and thanks for reading this.

It's a british turret you damn kriegboo

On 2/8/2021 at 4:52 PM, Cpt.Hissy said:

It's a general issue with the current state of the parts. Most of them are arbitrary resized copies of the same model without any scale.

It is fine for placeholder content of a WIP project though, so I take it as that.

Yeah. While the game is in early access, its acceptable.

But in my opinion, visual quirks like these are something that this game must fix before launch.

5 hours ago, Nick Thomadis said:

image.png

Hello,

We will repair this for the next update.

Do not worry, we check and fix any inconsistencies for next patches, as we add more models.

I love how you guys communicate well with the community and adress issues directly on the Forums.

I am happy to have supported this team and this project!

On 2/14/2021 at 9:51 AM, Nick Thomadis said:

Do not worry, we check and fix any inconsistencies for next patches, as we add more models.

If this is the case, your USN large cruiser model is out of scale. At least according to the data given it seems goofed in some way.

USS Alaska is 246 meters long.

Alaska_class_drawings.jpg

The large cruiser model is a down scale of iowa. But this is not 215 meters.

unknown.png?width=747&height=420

Its hard for me to say what is off... but it seems like the listed length is off. could be wrong, but thats what my eyes tell me.

Edited by Hangar18

On 2/16/2021 at 12:18 AM, Hangar18 said:

If this is the case, your USN large cruiser model is out of scale. At least according to the data given it seems goofed in some way.

USS Alaska is 246 meters long.

Alaska_class_drawings.jpg

The large cruiser model is a down scale of iowa. But this is not 215 meters.

unknown.png?width=747&height=420

Its hard for me to say what is off... but it seems like the listed length is off. could be wrong, but thats what my eyes tell me.

The length/beam/draught measurements are not too accurate. They need to be fixed too, so please do not take them for granted.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Nick Thomadis said:

The length/beam/draught measurements are not too accurate. They need to be fixed too, so please do not take them for granted.

That's fine, minor error at worst, and does not effect gameplay.

I do have a slightly related question. You added large cruisers as a class, but there was only ever one class, and the Alaska isn't the model used. Is the Alaska a planned hull? A scraped idea?  It just seems odd that it was added alongside the battle cruiser when you can achieve similar results. I get that there are minor stat changes, and some size differences, but I was just curious.

Also 5" secondary batteries on cruiser towers pls. Me luv u long time.

On 2/14/2021 at 2:51 PM, Nick Thomadis said:

image.png

Hello,

We will repair this for the next update.

Personally I think more unique models are needed, even if it means getting creative.

Right now most factions (the non-major ones like china and italy) (in the same time era) have no diferences between same spec ships besides the flag. The turrets are the same, the hulls are the same etc. I understand why you recycled the british turret for the germans. The germans made quad turrets (if they did, to find them you need more that a simple 1 minute google search).

But in my opinion, in those cases, you should get creative and design new unique turrets that were never deployed/designed. I know most of this game's models are historically accurate, but when history doesn't give you stuff to work with, maybe you need to invent it your own.

I'd like to see more unique turrets (same specs but diferent looks) for diferent factions. I my opinion, there should be 3 (main) turrets designs per each faction that would be then scalled up or down to (1 small (up to 300mm), 1 medium (up to 400mm) and 1 big (the biggest), this is just an example) (in the 1940s). Though in these examples they will be suggesions for battleships.

Example:

I've seen a bunch of WWII italien battleships, and aparently they were fond of placing the turret counterweights (scopes? I never know...) at the same height as the turret center and give the thing a rounded top (almost like a old semi-bald man's head and hair). 

Russian/soviet ones are a little distinct, but you could make the medium ones the shape of a hexagon (from the top) with a high rear end, and the big ones similar to the Sovetsky Soyuz and the Kremlin ones (whose top and side shape is a little tricky to describe). (And yes, those pictures are from WoWs, don't cry about that as some people in this forum do with any design or idea from this game).

For the austro-hungarian I didnt go very deep on the googling, but the shape of the S.M.S Viribus Unitis turrets with the pointy spots between the barrels looks nice.

These are just some examples for battleships.

I apreciate constructive criticism and thanks for reading this.

Edited by Stormnet
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Stormnet said:

Personally I think more unique models are needed, even if it means getting creative.

Right now most factions (the non-major ones like china and italy) (in the same time era) have no diferences between same spec ships besides the flag. The turrets are the same, the hulls are the same etc. I understand why you recycled the british turret for the germans. The germans made quad turrets (if they did, to find them you need more that a simple 1 minute google search).

But in my opinion, in those cases, you should get creative and design new unique turrets that were never deployed/designed. I know most of this game's models are historically accurate, but when history doesn't give you stuff to work with, maybe you need to invent it your own.

I'd like to see more unique turrets (same specs but diferent looks) for diferent factions. I my opinion, there should be 3 (main) turrets designs per each faction that would be then scalled up or down to (1 small (up to 300mm), 1 medium (up to 400mm) and 1 big (the biggest), this is just an example) (in the 1940s). Though in these examples they will be suggesions for battleships.

Example:

I've seen a bunch of WWII italien battleships, and aparently they were fond of placing the turret counterweights (scopes? I never know...) at the same height as the turret center and give the thing a rounded top (almost like a old semi-bald man's head and hair). 

Russian/soviet ones are a little distinct, but you could make the medium ones the shape of a hexagon (from the top) with a high rear end, and the big ones similar to the Sovetsky Soyuz and the Kremlin ones (whose top and side shape is a little tricky to describe). (And yes, those pictures are from WoWs, don't cry about that as some people in this forum do with any design or idea from this game).

For the austro-hungarian I didnt go very deep on the googling, but the shape of the S.M.S Viribus Unitis turrets with the pointy spots between the barrels looks nice.

These are just some examples for battleships.

I apreciate constructive criticism and thanks for reading this.

If you think this is a good idea, I'll take my time and make a full post, and go deep into the research.