Game-Labs Forum

Complete Novice : Can't Get Ship to Move. Unsure if Bug.

NYTom64

I just purchased NA and logged in for the first time. I was offered a choice between "War" and "Peace" scenarios. Chose former just for fun. After receiving my orders (captain injured by splinter, now I'm in command), I'm deposited into a screen with a huge sailing ship staring at me. Some of the keys appear to work: S/W, for example, for (un)furling sails. But a great many do not. And the boat doesn't go anywhere. It just sits in the water. In the bottom right corner is a black box labeled "F11 Bug" and a white dot in the middle. I don't get any option for tutorials, either - just the menu in the upper right corner with a summary of hot keys.

Weirder still, when I exit completely out of the game and restart, this time choosing "Peace," I'm dumped right back into the same scenario and screen ... even though I expressly selected against combat this time.

Little help?

Tom

4 hours ago, NYTom64 said:

I just purchased NA and logged in for the first time. I was offered a choice between "War" and "Peace" scenarios. Chose former just for fun. After receiving my orders (captain injured by splinter, now I'm in command), I'm deposited into a screen with a huge sailing ship staring at me. Some of the keys appear to work: S/W, for example, for (un)furling sails. But a great many do not. And the boat doesn't go anywhere. It just sits in the water. 

Greetings Tom. Could you please be so kind and capture some screenshots with the problem and post it here? You can upload it on services like imgur.com and just copy here the link.

• 2 weeks later...

I have exactly the same problem. On either server I get put into a battle and at the end it just loops back to the same battle. In addition their is no visible cursor to click on options listed on right. Tried every combination of F keys to see if there is a menu. I tried the site suggested but unfortunately it didn’t help . Any help appreciated Maughold

On 8/1/2020 at 12:34 AM, Maughold said:

I have exactly the same problem. On either server I get put into a battle and at the end it just loops back to the same battle. In addition their is no visible cursor to click on options listed on right. Tried every combination of F keys to see if there is a menu. I tried the site suggested but unfortunately it didn’t help . Any help appreciated Maughold

Greetings Captain. Could you please be so kind and capture some screenshots with the problem(e.g. at the end) and post it here? You can upload it on services like imgur.com and just copy here the link.

You can hold down CTRL button to turn cursor on.

Okay, I numbered the files in sequence of entry into the game, although they are sorted below with the first image actually last: the intro screen.

Images 5 and 6 show that weird black box with "F11 Bug" printed just above. I gave you 3 and 4 just so you could see what the rest of my screen looks like.

So you know, I do understand that holding down CTRL lets you navigate to a menu in the upper right.

I hope this helps illustrate the problem!

Tom

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

1.jpg

Ps. Also, I tried deleting my username (Papa Tom) and replaced it. I chose "Pirate" instead of "Britain" - just to see if it would help - but got the same weirdness: combat, with ships firing at each other, even though I chose "Peace." And I had the same weird black box in the lower right corner. But at least this time I was able to move the ship, adjusting the rudder and trimming/unfurling sales.

On 7/22/2020 at 7:30 AM, NYTom64 said:

I just purchased NA and logged in for the first time. I was offered a choice between "War" and "Peace" scenarios. Chose former just for fun. After receiving my orders (captain injured by splinter, now I'm in command), I'm deposited into a screen with a huge sailing ship staring at me. Some of the keys appear to work: S/W, for example, for (un)furling sails. But a great many do not. And the boat doesn't go anywhere. It just sits in the water. In the bottom right corner is a black box labeled "F11 Bug" and a white dot in the middle. I don't get any option for tutorials, either - just the menu in the upper right corner with a summary of hot keys.

Weirder still, when I exit completely out of the game and restart, this time choosing "Peace," I'm dumped right back into the same scenario and screen ... even though I expressly selected against combat this time.

Little help?

Tom

You must pass this mission to join the game. And you must fight in this mission. It’s a test if you have a seaman in you. Peace server has combat too but not against players.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This first mission will keep returning until you complete it (no decline option). As you cannot get damaged in that mission it is actually easy. Just try to do as much damage as requested in hull, sails and crew on enemy ships.

At the end, you get a reward.

It shows you what is expecting you much later in game. So you know it is not only the basic cutter in which you find yourself after this entry panorama is done.

Edited by Cetric de Cornusiac
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, Brig and Cetric. I couldn't get my ship to fire anything, although I did succeed in ramming someone. (That was fun.) I'll keep working on the cannons. I must be doing something wrong. 

I'm actually more puzzled and worried about the black square in the bottom right corner with the "Bug F11" notation. I'd feel better knowing that's normal and not evidence of a broader problem. Then I could make up my mind to get on with the business of learning all this without the suspicion I have a hardware/software conflict.

1 hour ago, NYTom64 said:

Thanks, Brig and Cetric. I couldn't get my ship to fire anything, although I did succeed in ramming someone. (That was fun.) I'll keep working on the cannons. I must be doing something wrong. 

I'm actually more puzzled and worried about the black square in the bottom right corner with the "Bug F11" notation. I'd feel better knowing that's normal and not evidence of a broader problem. Then I could make up my mind to get on with the business of learning all this without the suspicion I have a hardware/software conflict.

The F11 notation you see is for reporting bugs, its always there. The square below it with your ship in the center is like a radar showing other ships close by.

Not sure why you cannot fire though. This mission is new start to the game so existing players dont get it. If you press the "[" or "]" buttons do your guns fire? If they do fire then you probably are not entering the firing position. To get the cannons you should right click when looking it the direction you want to fire, this should bring up the aiming arc of your cannons and a small line showing the level your guns are aimed at. Then you can use your left mouse button to fire a broadside. Thats the only thing I can think you are doing wrong.

Edited by Archaos
  • Like 1

Archaos, you are awesome. Thanks.

I actually figured out the F11/Bug deal about 30 minutes ago. Lol. (I Googled it, and finally used the right keyword search!)

I appreciate all of you. I'll get off my lazy Landsman butt and keep digging at this. Sailing a real boat as a kid was easier!  :)

Tom