Game-Labs Forum

Admiral and Country Traits

Hey all been awhile! Hope everyone safe and enjoying a little more free time to beta test the game if your lucky. Now to the point I have seen this mentioned a bit before specifically with countries but I wanna focus on admirals and "XP" or experience they would earn after battles while touching on country traits towards the end. I haven't seen anything official through the devs yet but I just thought I'd put my two cents in with this idea. This could hopefully be added after initial release. As of right now there is a flag ship buff but I would like to expand upon this. Hopefully they could implement a system similar to Ultimate: Civil war but instead of army of corps perks we can make fleet perks. 

I do believe having an experience system would be beneficial in more than one way. For example and experience system would provide a way for players to maybe over come a technological or numerical advantage in the game. Say for example your guy is a "Night Fighter" who's squadron gets a bonus of 5% spotting and accuracy at night you WOULD have a edge, the rest would play into how you play the battle. There already is trainable crew as stated on the website that you will have to pay for as a monthly cost. But having an admiral or country trait as I will get to later could help add a degree of variation in how you spend your money.

If admiral traits were implemented I feel strongly they should obviously be tied to a specific person in a specific region. They would then have the opportunity to join the battle if there ship was within range of lets say a major conflict between two ships. The admiral would obviously be located on the flagship of the fleet and would be used in conjunction to the current flagship buff.  But this is a double edged sword say you put your admiral out in the front to inspire your men but then your brand new BB takes a torp and sinks, this would result in an moral debuff and an instant loss of all commander traits. This would result in an anxiety in human players being unresolved to commit your flagship completely into the fight because of fear of it  

That's not to say all traits would be good maybe we have a "Bull" who gets an 10% capital ships call in range for a battle but -10% call in range of screen vessels which would result in maybe your fleet not being as balanced as you like it. 

Skills List (Names Subject to change)

• Bull 10% capital ships call in range for a battle but -10% call in range of screen vessels
  • Night fighter 5% accuracy and spotting during night engagements
  • Arctic Warrior 5% accuracy and spotting during combat in arctic storm environments
  • Tropical Warrior 5% spotting and accuracy during tropical storm environments

Cool features to add

• -Maybe and event where your commander gets dismissed for a certain amount of time due to a scandal or maybe for life if he gets a heart attack. 
  • -Debuffs for losses i.e. trauma due to failure.
  • -Historical Admirals making an appearance or maybe yourself if you feel you missed your calling in life.
  • -Skills must be earned through actual combat or training. I.E. training a fleet in the arctic would provide a buff in that specific region when fighting there. The skills should be hard to obtain and unique. So someone cant have the arctic skill but also a tropical skill at the same time because they would cancel each other out 

What I would like to avoid is

• -Skills that add speed or other buffs that couldn't be applied to training because no matter how well trained your crew is the ship wont go any faster without paddles.
  • -Commanders that wont die as stated above the double edged sword part is key they can not live forever. 
  • -Commanders not being able to be dismissed, If you get a bad or unwanted trait on your commander you should be able to dismiss them but you will have to start all over with a fresh commander and take a debuff which could be thought of later I.E. a green commander debuff.

Now country traits. For country traits I believe its been talked about but I just wanted to put a list of what I would like to see. I think a country trait should be a trait specific only to them that is with them throughout the game without having to do anything special to initially obtain it. This is just a list of some that might or could hopefully be implemented. Again everyone kind of sees the benefit of a country trait and i'm pretty sure they will be in......hopefully.

Japan

• 5% nation bonus to night battles spotting and accuracy
  • 10% to torpedo accuracy
  • 5% research to torpedo tech

Germany

• -5% torpedo reload
  • 5% research speed to Armour techs 
  • 5% research to torpedo tech

Great Britain

• -5% cost reduction of capital ships
  • 5% build speed of capital ships
  • Legacy of the admiralty 10% chance to pick up new admiral traits 

United States

• -5% time of building new dockyards and ports
  • -10% time of researching radar and sonar technology
  • -5% time of building cruisers

France

• Quad Turrets Tech

This is an incomplete list let me know down below some I could add or your thought's of my thread. Ill try to update as long as this hopefully stays hot. 

Edited by TotalRampage
  • Like 3

It is very important to allow players to choose their admiral for traits, or else they'll just abuse the game somehow till they get what they want anyway. Like reloading save until character with right set of qualities becomes available for selection. The more control players get, the better. 

With that note, I support the idea of having commanders with positive and maybe negative traits to add extra layer of depth to the game.

• Like 3

For the Japan

•  -5% cost of using 610mm torpedoes
  •  -5% cost of using Oxygen fuel for torpedoes
  •  -5% cost of building destroyers
  •  -5% torpedo reload on all ships

For the Germany:

•  -5% time of researching any technology
  •  -5% time of researching armor type (10% with the first bonus)
  •  -5% time of researching torpedoes

For Great Britain:

• -5% cost reduction of building ANY type of ship
  • -5% time reduction of building ANY type of ship
  • +2 Level for every recruited Admiral

For the United States:

• -10% time of researching radar and sonar technology
  • Like 1

I have already mentioned this earlier in some post but I think it fits here well.

About those country traits: i think it shouldn't be limited only to bonuses and penalties. I would really like to see different political traits and decisions for each country (for example: As Japan-competing with army over influence, As Russia-facing mutinies because of bolsheviks, etc.)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HusariuS said:

For the Japan

•  -5% cost of using 610mm torpedoes
  •  -5% cost of using Oxygen fuel for torpedoes
  •  -5% cost of building destroyers
  •  -5% torpedo reload on all ships

For the Germany:

•  -5% time of researching any technology
  •  -5% time of researching armor type (10% with the first bonus)
  •  -5% time of researching torpedoes

For Great Britain:

• -5% cost reduction of building ANY type of ship
  • -5% time reduction of building ANY type of ship
  • +2 Level for every recruited Admiral

For the United States:

• -10% time of researching radar and sonar technology

USA should have -20% time for building DDs and -50% time for building transport vessels. Remember Fletcher and Liberty.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Aceituna said:

I have already mentioned this earlier in some post but I think it fits here well.

About those country traits: i think it shouldn't be limited only to bonuses and penalties. I would really like to see different political traits and decisions for each country (for example: As Japan-competing with army over influence, As Russia-facing mutinies because of bolsheviks, etc.)

Could be like total war, where commanders could also have the ability to have 'best mates' or something that give added bonuses or lore wise stuff. Could have a loyalty, morale and honor system or similar for this game and its time period.

So you could have a 21 year old Captain George Roddim (lol) who could have the following personality traits.

1. Inexperienced.

2. Stalwart.

3. Cautious.

4. Observant.

So the above could give small bonuses to his ship (besides speed and turn rates etc) but mostly his crew plus also little backstories as to why he is the way he is. And he can also die during battles or even outside of battles as well (dunno if we should do the latter unless they get old like 60+).

Idk just a little something i guess.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shaftoe said:

USA should have -20% time for building DDs and -50% time for building transport vessels. Remember Fletcher and Liberty.

Ah yes, forgot about them, but those bonuses should apply only when US is at war with at least two nations.

4 minutes ago, Cptbarney said:

Could be like total war, where commanders could also have the ability to have 'best mates' or something that give added bonuses or lore wise stuff. Could have a loyalty, morale and honor system or similar for this game and its time period.

So you could have a 21 year old Captain George Roddim (lol) who could have the following personality traits.

1. Inexperienced.

2. Stalwart.

3. Cautious.

4. Observant.

So the above could give small bonuses to his ship (besides speed and turn rates etc) but mostly his crew plus also little backstories as to why he is the way he is. And he can also die during battles or even outside of battles as well (dunno if we should do the latter unless they get old like 60+).

Idk just a little something i guess.

I totally agree with  personal traits but to me those mates seem inapropriate for the time period and for the type of the game (but it's just my opinion).

I appriciate that you mentioned loyalty of admirals, that could be an interesting feature (admirals might dissagree with you about the direction of research or your political decisions etc. and that might influence their loyalty to you)

And you wrote about dying because of natural causes, I think that admirals might be rather retired when they reach some age.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Aceituna said:

I totally agree with  personal traits but to me those mates seem inapropriate for the time period and for the type of the game (but it's just my opinion).

I was thinking more like 'retainers' from shogun 2, they might offer bonuses or penalties or just simply be there for lore reasons. Adds a bit of flavour.

14 minutes ago, Aceituna said:

I appriciate that you mentioned loyalty of admirals, that could be an interesting feature (admirals might dissagree with you about the direction of research or your political decisions etc. and that might influence their loyalty to you)

And you wrote about dying because of natural causes, I think that admirals might be rather retired when they reach some age.

Ye, it could also allow you to bargin for stuff better or allow your government and people to have more sympathy (and proganda lol). Could also allow for more positive or negative events depending on how well you do, who gets into power, age, personality etc.

Dunno you might get the odd admiral/captain who gets bored and just wants to fight on the seas, so probs only will die in battle or maybe at home (illness or otherwise). Although that would be a very rare occurance.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Cptbarney said:

I was thinking more like 'retainers' from shogun 2, they might offer bonuses or penalties or just simply be there for lore reasons. Adds a bit of flavour.

Ye, it could also allow you to bargin for stuff better or allow your government and people to have more sympathy (and proganda lol). Could also allow for more positive or negative events depending on how well you do, who gets into power, age, personality etc.

Dunno you might get the odd admiral/captain who gets bored and just wants to fight on the seas, so probs only will die in battle or maybe at home (illness or otherwise). Although that would be a very rare occurance.

I'm of the opinion they would need to either start with no base skills and learn them over time while being in the position. I.E. admiral in the arctic +5% accuracy during bad weather in arctic climate and he could get that skill by launching naval war games during peace time or actually fighting in the region at war time. The war games would thus cost resources and money causing a balance so the player doesn't get an added buff right away. 

But both are okay I just always prefer making someone from the ground up

Edited by TotalRampage
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Shaftoe said:

It is very important to allow players to choose their admiral for traits, or else they'll just abuse the game somehow till they get what they want anyway. Like reloading save until character with right set of qualities becomes available for selection. The more control players get, the better. 

With that note, I support the idea of having commanders with positive and maybe negative traits to add extra layer of depth to the game.

Kinda like  what I just responded to Cptbarney I'm of the opinion they are earned and not started with to stop that abuse. 

Read quote below i'm also gonna edit the post to reflect my views.

12 minutes ago, TotalRampage said:

I'm of the opinion they would need to either start with no base skills and learn them over time while being in the position. I.E. admiral in the arctic +5% accuracy during bad weather in arctic climate and he could get that skill by launching naval war games during peace time or actually fighting in the region at war time. The war games would thus cost resources and money causing a balance so the player doesn't get an added buff right away. 

But both are okay I just always prefer making someone from the ground up

Updated skills and how they would be obtained also started a skills list and put some suggestions in the main article

Edited by TotalRampage
Main article updated

Admiral characters should generate XP, and players should choose what traits to buy with those XPs. Otherwise it will only create unnecessary complications and make players resort to save scamming, which in itself is not bad when you need to get a trait you want, but definitely not as convenient as a controlled ability to build characters you want, just as you build ships you want. 

Lame RNG is just it... lame. 

On 5/11/2020 at 9:19 PM, Aceituna said:

As Russia-facing mutinies because of bolsheviks, etc.)

Right feature, wrong reasons: rebellion starts then current authority became unpopular enough (losing wars usually helps).

Joke about Order of the October Revolution for Nikolai II is not much of a joke.