Game-Labs Forum

Ever wondered how fire control equipment works? (rangefinders, fire clocks, computers)

Shaftoe

10 minutes ago, Cptbarney said:

Should we pin this thread? And have it as an educational piece? Where other forumites can add other bits of knowledge too?

I think that's a good idea. Many people buying this game don't know much if anything about naval stuff. This could be their introduction to it.

Edited by Shaftoe
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Shaftoe said:

I think that's a good idea. Many people buying this game don't much if anything about naval stuff. This could be their introduction to it.

True, i've learn't infinently more here than i did on the wows forums and the articles, links and images are far more interesting too. Plus i like the games art style as well, very nice.

21 hours ago, GUTB said:

Does the game model ballistic computers? I assume that is baked into tower tech levels.

mk1labb.jpg

As fas as I know currently, we do not have any sort of ballistic computers for ships, only rangefinder, radar and RDF.

• Like 2

On 3/24/2020 at 9:13 AM, Shaftoe said:

I just noticed this suprisingly short and understandable video explanation of the subject. Enjoy.

lol, i'm old ... i actually used one of these in military service to aim 120mm mortars, the optical rangefinder was a tube of about 1m length with lenses on the ends. the mortars were buried somewhere with no line of sight to the target, but we had los to both. we measured the angle between the mortars and the target with an optical goniometer, the range to both with the rangefinder, then computed the angle the mortars had to aim away from us to face the target, and their range to target. the necessary elevation angle we looked up on tables based on range and the ordnance's charge, which could be configured at different steps with so called 'supplements'. we then gave them these 3 values over radio (angle, elevation, charge) and enjoyed the show. direct first hits were pretty rare :D but after a couple corrections we usually did.

• Like 5

• 2 months later...