Game-Labs Forum

10 hours ago, Mouth of Sauron said:

requins are fun and an interesting addition to the game.  just not in port battles.

On that I always agree.

And the real problem stands on sailing profile: no ship hits her top speed at close haul. Reworking sailing profiles and adding other light stuff and may be a xebec-frigate would solve balancing issues.

I once believed that ships that were to be added to the game would be historical. There's a good reason why xebec or xebec-frigates couldn't stay in the caribbean for more than a couple of weeks in good weather seasons.. Rather than adding another xebec cartoon ship, I'd propose we add a combustion engine ship... like..... the bismarck.. 20 km firing range, radar, sonar, 28 knot speed... what's not to like?! Oh... and make it a DLC as well..

18 hours ago, Licinio Chiavari said:

On that I always agree.

And the real problem stands on sailing profile: no ship hits her top speed at close haul. Reworking sailing profiles and adding other light stuff and may be a xebec-frigate would solve balancing issues.

adjust sailing profile and sail hit-box. propably make her a 5th rate

• Like 1

On 3/12/2020 at 5:36 PM, Licinio Chiavari said:

The point, more in general, is the senseless of sailing profile of ships: as stated in the past... no ship is FASTER at close haul than at broad reach.

Latin sails are way less effective to sail upwind than schooner rigging, simply because fore and aft rigging is more flat than triangular sails. Just look at photographs of present small ships on the Nile River, compared to present race ships...

Flatter the sails are, more efficient they are upwind. 

Xebec rigging was more efficient than square rigs, less efficient than schooner.

This is also the reason why last square rig ships (i.e. clippers) has multiple smaller sails instead of less bigger sails.

Physics is physics.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Aquillas said:

Latin sails are way less effective to sail upwind than schooner rigging, simply because fore and aft rigging is more flat than triangular sails. Just look at photographs of present small ships on the Nile River, compared to present race ships...

Flatter the sails are, more efficient they are upwind. 

Xebec rigging was more efficient than square rigs, less efficient than schooner.

This is also the reason why last square rig ships (i.e. clippers) has multiple smaller sails instead of less bigger sails.

Physics is physics.

Reasonable point. And true.

But I was saying that no ship hits her top speed at beam or close haul.

So the reworking of sailing profiles would mean that schooners and xebec hitting their (reworked a bit lower) top speed at broad reach (more to beam) as any ship simply maintaning a good share of speed at beam (a bit better than square rigged - in game, not in truth) and still a decent one at close haul... With schooners performing better than xebec at close haul (as it is already).

The final effect would be that fast fore-aft ships would be able to still chase downwind but unable to easily run upwind if heavily damaged... While now we have the unreal situation for these ships to be unable to chase downwind even a slow ship and on the same time they are able to run upwind even if badly crippled.

So making them less annoying (easier to kill) but more effective as hunter (being able to chase other ships).

In the end the balacing issue that is son - again - of totally weird sailing profiles for not square rigged ships.

Edited by Licinio Chiavari
Last period