Game-Labs Forum

Please give us both, imperial & metric!

Not OP, but the ability to see both at the same time would be neat. I have the Imperial units in the game and have no issues when it comes to guns in either measurement because gun caliber was pretty uniform.

Ā 

But armour does not feel intuitive to the same degree due to the decimal values. I can quickly convert 16 inches into metric, but 13.3 inches requires a calculator.
Ā 

I don't think that this is an important feature, but certainly convenient if you grew up with the metric system but want to use imperial in game because a lot of information about warships are is in English and uses imperial measurements. I'm German, I think in metric, but for immersion imperial is simply better. And seeing both, at least for armour thickness, would be neat.

Ā 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Hjalfnar_Feuerwolf said:

Yeah, that gives me the Imperial system. That's the problem, I need both at the same time.

Like 6 inch English guns and 15 cm German guns? Heh, this is a little strange.Ā For the game, of course. If you want inches, you get inches, if you need a metric, you get a metric. If you want both,Ā then you get armor in millimeters, guns in inches and distances in...league?To each his own, I suppose:mellow:

Edited by TAKTCOM

I dont see, why this is something to discuss. The Thread asks if it is possible to implement showing both at the same time. Some ppl argue why that wouldnt be necessary, some are really creative and helpfull. But me as well: I think in mm for armor and in inches for guns, both at the same time is one thing specifically: convenient. make a popup, if nothing else, saying mm AND inches, why not. Honestly, why not? CanĀ“t be THAT difficult. I assume an hour of work for one programmer? And hours of convenience for users? make it a third option and fine, evereybody is happy. But why argue against it? Liberty is to do your own thing, be it all so creative. And as nobody suffers (other than implementing it), i donĀ“t see any danger for anyones liberty in doing this third option.

If the implementation is far more difficult though, im totally fine as it is, as i think there are a lot things that will make life even more fun, when done in this time of programming instead.

Ā 

Long live the shortlegged, neck warming barkbot

Ā 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Teckelmaster said:

Ā make a popup, if nothing else, saying mm AND inches, why not. Honestly, why not? CanĀ“t be THAT difficult. I assume an hour of work for one programmer?

I suggest you try to make a list of places in the user interface where a conversion popup would be desirable. And then again come up with an estimate of the amount of work for the developer, and for creating the test procedures that will guard that piece of functionality.

Edited by Erik Springelkamp

16 hours ago, Erik Springelkamp said:

I suggest you try to make a list of places in the user interface where a conversion popup would be desirable. And then again come up with an estimate of the amount of work for the developer, and for creating the test procedures that will guard that piece of functionality.

I admit, that im not an IT expert, really far away, but generally, if it is already in the files, both metric and imperial, then it usually is a ā€žget valueā€œ thing. Lets forget the popup. But the third option to simply get both values at once? No idea, honestly. And as i said, if it is much more work, leave it be, for the moment.

But if noone is allowed to mention it, just because it might actually be work to implement, it sounds more like politics, less like business.

I have another question in return (maybe two or three):

There are ppl playing the game, who want this option, shell we let the devs know or not? And let them decide if they can do it or not?

Why do you argue against it, what exactly do you lose, if that option is implemented?Ā 

I do not see the world deciding for one unified system in the close future, as long as we have both, we have to live with it. Life can be a challenge or it can be convenient. I have a preference.

Btw: english is not my primary language, just to make sure:

I mean to be polite and reasonable, IF in any conversation i may sound different, i do NOT intend to. Sorry if i sound offensive, i actually just want to tell, what i think might be usefull, as this game is still Alpha.

Teckelmaster out

1 hour ago, RedParadize said:

UI is already over loaded, Having both values would make it worst.Ā 

Armor layout may get more complex (I hope it will). Requiring more sliders. Imagine how much number would need to be displayed.

Which, if it was optional, onlyĀ applied, if you chose to. So, my apologies, but obviously this cannot be an argument.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Teckelmaster said:

Which, if it was optional, onlyĀ applied, if you chose to. So, my apologies, but obviously this cannot be an argument.

UI would have to display two number, does it fit? do you scale down the text? make it so the slider arrange themselves differently? Its still something that need to be worked on. Everything that would be added past that would have to take it into consideration. That was my point.

The team only have one credited programmer. There must be some uncredited too. still, its a pretty small team. If I was at their place would place that deep down the "nice to have" list.

6 hours ago, RedParadize said:

The team only have one credited programmer. There must be some uncredited too. still, its a pretty small team. If I was at their place would place that deep down the "nice to have" list.

And i totally agree on that point. Still, it is like christmas, if you have a dedicated wish, bring it to santa, if santa likes AND has the means, he delivers ;)

Perhaps as an alternative that I know wouldn't be too hard, make a keybinding to toggle as desired.

Because right now you can set the measure as you like from the menu then if you want the other measure use the option menu but that is a bit of an undesirable option to be fair.Ā  Only mention it because it is a short term work around we can use for now.

But make it a key press and even if it isn't showing both at the same time it switches over more readily.

That would seem a reasonable compromise to me without creating new issues for display/text boxes and other possible layout/programming considerations.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, monbvol said:

Perhaps as an alternative that I know wouldn't be too hard, make a keybinding to toggle as desired.

Because right now you can set the measure as you like from the menu then if you want the other measure use the option menu but that is a bit of an undesirable option to be fair.Ā  Only mention it because it is a short term work around we can use for now.

But make it a key press and even if it isn't showing both at the same time it switches over more readily.

That would seem a reasonable compromise to me without creating new issues for display/text boxes and other possible layout/programming considerations.

That is actually a great idea. The only other quick and dirty solution I had was making a tooltip show the other measuring system.

On 12/6/2019 at 5:03 PM, Hjalfnar_Feuerwolf said:

Yeah, that's exactly what I want to to all the time with every single value of 12.7 etc.

It's good for your brain. Younger people seem to freak out when I do those sorts of things in my head, or percentages.

Don't know why. I must be getting old or something.

p.s. it's 25.4.

šŸ˜ŽšŸ˜€

Ā 

Edited by Steeltrap

Wow. This thread... most ā€œfirst world problem/millennialā€Ā gamer complaint Iā€™ve heard in a long time. Ā Seriously? Ā Convert in your head, if you canā€™t... well hereā€™s a skill you need in your mentalĀ toolbox if you live in a mixed imperial/metric world anyway. Ā Reminds me of people who canā€™t tell time if itā€™s not digital.Ā 

Edited by Lobokai