Game-Labs Forum

RvR/Frontline System

Since release not much actual RvR which wasn't against NPCs has happened but what I am noticing is many clans/people are afraid or incapable of doing any meaningfull RvR with the current frontline system, as they lack players to fill a 20-25k BR port and also have screening. 

I agree the frontline system made RvR a lot better, but I think some teaks could be done to it. So here are a few points I think could be changed in the frontline system to make it more interesting (all below are my personal opinions):

1. Make it so a Nation has to take 1/2 "small ports" before they can attack the Capital that belongs to them. 

Advantages:

• A nation can not loose it's crafting port in two days, loosing crafting ports will dirve players away from the game so some stability there would be very nice.
  • Smaller BR ports are easier for a smaller nation to fill and would probably lead to more RvR.
  • A Nation has more time and tries to defend their Important ports, and the closer a nation gets to the main port of another nation the mopre people will get involved
  • In my opinion taking ports should be hard. At the Moment I see many nation giving up entire regions when the Capital falls.
  • Nations don't have much reason to attack small ports, as there is no reason to take them to get to the Capital you want to get to.

Disadvantages:

• Very hard to hurt a nation, by taking the crafting port. 
  • Upgrading ports is a great money drain so the more upgrading happens the better for the games economy. 

2. Decrease the range of how far away you can take missions for Ports .At the moment Denmark can attack Santo Domingo, Puerto Plata and Grand Turk from La Mona. I feel this is a bit too far.

Advantages:

• . The idea, at least for me, behind a frontline system is that Nation can not just appear half way across the map with 1 or 2 port battles. This again leads to less RvR as you can just "skip" regions you are not interested in.

Disadvantages:

• Some regions of the map will probably never/rarely see any RvR as they are too hard to get to (Mexican Gulf/Central America)

3. Give some great rewards for taking ports to all people in the nation (or at least to the ones in clans on the friendslist of a defending/attacking clan). Yes Victory marks are great but probably gonna inflate soon when port upgrading is done. THis could lead to people being more interested in RvR. I am thinking of Admiral chests, maybe some ship Permits or the sort.

Advantages:

• Casual players have more reasons to participate in offensive RvR
  • People have a few more reasons to go and attack/defend small ports once the capital has fallen.

Disadvantages:

• Can't see any feel free to add them in the comments

Hope we can start a discussion about RvR here and maybe find a common line most players would like to see in RvR

Edited by Mr Pellew
Spammed enter and posted by accident:
  • Like 10

15 minutes ago, Mr Pellew said:

Since release not much actual RvR which wasn't against NPCs has happened but what I am noticing is many clans/people are afraid or incapable of doing any meaningfull RvR with the current frontline system, as they lack players to fill a 20-25k BR port and also have screening. 

I agree the frontline system made RvR a lot better, but I think some teaks could be done to it. So here are a few points I think could be changed in the frontline system to make it more interesting:

1: Make it so a Nation has to take 1/2 "small ports" before they can attack the Capital that belongs to them.

ehm okay `few´. and ur 1. point makes no sense without explanation. 

Good Ideas ! 

3. Point is a real discussion werth :)  like the gold old time when u got tons of rar trade goods hahahaha ( just kidding) , but some kind of rewards would be interesting.!

Agree also that the vic marks will be werthless at some point in the future. 

32 minutes ago, Mr Pellew said:

I agree the frontline system made RvR a lot better, but I think some teaks could be done to it. So here are a few points I think could be changed in the frontline system to make it more interesting (all below are my personal opinions):

1. Make it so a Nation has to take 1/2 "small ports" before they can attack the Capital that belongs to them. 

Advantages:

• A nation can not loose it's crafting port in two days, loosing crafting ports will dirve players away from the game so some stability there would be very nice.
  • Smaller BR ports are easier for a smaller nation to fill and would probably lead to more RvR.
  • A Nation has more time and tries to defend their Important ports, and the closer a nation gets to the main port of another nation the mopre people will get involved
  • In my opinion taking ports should be hard. At the Moment I see many nation giving up entire regions when the Capital falls.
  • Nations don't have much reason to attack small ports, as there is no reason to take them to get to the Capital you want to get to.

Disadvantages:

• Very hard to hurt a nation, by taking the crafting port. 
  • Upgrading ports is a great money drain so the more upgrading happens the better for the games economy. 

2. Decrease the range of how far away you can take missions for Ports .At the moment Denmark can attack Santo Domingo, Puerto Plata and Grand Turk from La Mona. I feel this is a bit too far.

Advantages:

• . The idea, at least for me, behind a frontline system is that Nation can not just appear half way across the map with 1 or 2 port battles. This again leads to less RvR as you can just "skip" regions you are not interested in.

Disadvantages:

• Some regions of the map will probably never/rarely see any RvR as they are too hard to get to (Mexican Gulf/Central America)

3. Give some great rewards for taking ports to all people in the nation (or at least to the ones in clans on the friendslist of a defending/attacking clan). Yes Victory marks are great but probably gonna inflate soon when port upgrading is done. THis could lead to people being more interested in RvR. I am thinking of Admiral chests, maybe some ship Permits or the sort.

Advantages:

• Casual players have more reasons to participate in offensive RvR
  • People have a few more reasons to go and attack/defend small ports once the capital has fallen.

Disadvantages:

• Can't see any feel free to add them in the comments

Hope we can start a discussion about RvR here and maybe find a common line most players would like to see in RvR

3 minutes ago, Koveras said:

I think it's a great idea with some fantastic suggestions.

I'd like to add one to your point 1. That capturing smaller ports in a region cancels the ability to attack other regions from that region.. Which ofc would force the owner of the regional capital to attempt to clear out pesky invaders..

I actually love this idea, would add another reason to try and control all ports belonging to one capital. Also makes offence a great way to defend, by taking one of the small ports in the Region your enemy gets the missions from.

9 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

It is pretty funny it is called frontline system when from Aves you can hit almost all the capital ports of the Lower Antilles. Same thing with other free ports.

I agree, that's what I try to say in 2.. At the moment there is no real frontline in most parts of the map.

• Like 2

Having to go through smaller ports before being able to take a regional capital should be the only restriction on RvR.

This plus giving ports different max BR again (why was this removed?) means more diversity.

As for the frontline system.. not a fan.
We have ships that can literally go everywhere.. it is incredibly jarring to have trench warfare arbitrarily imposed on then.

• Like 3

Having to take a number (%) of smaller ports in a region before the capital makes some sense,  creating a staging area for main assault.

This would also bring into play more smaller ports in regions, and perhaps more RvR as nations fight for region overall rather than only the capitals.

I know some will say well we are in ships and can attack anywhere, but taking the town as a whole would need ground support and perhaps taking smaller region ports could represent this in an abstract way.

Edited by LegoLarry
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Mr Pellew said:

Give some great rewards for taking ports to all people in the nation

Unfortunately this was exploited in the past, it would be again. 

Your other suggestions are interesting and good. Still, I think that a real solution for crafting ports loss making people leave should be to exchange port upgrade bonuses to something that is valuable, but doesn't give such big advantage for RvR fleet. Maybe eg more trade missions, more trade goods, more advanced group missions with better rewards. 

Large nations should have it harder (or at least even), not easier - then RvR would be more interesting. 

• Like 3

Agree with OP 100%

I think the idea of original RvR is good, but not correctly implemented. Its just so logical that at first smaller towns need to be a “buffer” before the grand battle as well as the “reach” of hostilities decrease

Eventually no matter how much buffer there is clans SHOULD lose their ports. This is always at risk. To make it lesser of an issue, port structures should remain in place so if later the clan returns its own port it gets all its buildings back.

Edited by koltes
  • Like 2