Game-Labs Forum

Michiel de Ruyter / The Admiral

Dukemeister

Hi all,

For the Dutch people over here which didn't know yet (probably not that many :) ) there will a movie in cinema's soon (29 jan) about Michiel de Ruyter.

For all people abroad the Netherlands release date is not yet know but the movie will be named The Admiral over there.

The trailer just released looks promising especially for a Dutch movie which are mostly on tight budget.

• Like 3

i just watched it,

from all Dutch movies i've ever seen.. this is the only one that im not dissapointed about..

145 minute long movie.. with 90% historical accuracy ( some little details to make the movie story line progress slightly faster for example check spoiler)

michiel de ruyter in real life died of legg amputation by cannonball, took him about a week to die, in the movie it took him less than a minute, while in battle and the french saluted him... yeah.. video storyline not history.. but these are minor details and the movie was brilliant

this movie is worth watching in the chinema because the sound effects are so much better in a chinema,

only thing that bugged me is the guy that played michiel de ruyter.. as my friend put it : "het is een SPEKtakel"

but .. his acting was ok...the first Dutch movie i'd recommend to non Dutch people as for this movie i do not feel ashamed of our movie productors, + i love the ship scenes and everyone that loves naval action will probely agree with me.

edit: keep in mind there are two versions.. the "adult" version and the "childrens" version..  it will.. lack....a couple of ... interesting.... scenes.

Yeah, I can't wait for it to be released in the US.  Hopefully, sooner than later.  I still can't believe it's not at least showing in LA or NY.

Yeah, I can't wait for it to be released in the US.  Hopefully, sooner than later.  I still can't believe it's not at least showing in LA or NY.

because its a Dutch production, we are not as famous as hollywood, chinemas in america probely dont even know about this movie yet.

because its a Dutch production, we are not as famous as hollywood, chinemas in america probely dont even know about this movie yet.

You underestimate LA's film culture, my friend.  We have whole cinemas here that ONLY show foreign films.  I can't imagine they haven't heard of a major Dutch picture.  But alas, I have to wait.  :(

The movie looks epic. I almost had a chance to see it this week. I featured it on my website: https://buccaneersreef.com/feature-day/

There is actually a version of the trailer with English subtitles as well.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/glwnk5x1scY?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Such a pity that Naval Action doesn't intend to portray this period of history. Such beautiful ships in this period of history.

I think there will be a lot of renewed interest as more historical offerings like Admiral/Michiel de Ruyter come to the public. There are other media offerings/movies in the works as well. Hopefully the 17th century will finally get it's due and credit soon.

MK

Here is a review I found on IMDB which also names the ships they used in filming:

" I saw this movie last night in cinema Buitenhof, next to the Gevangenpoort prison where the actual brothers de Witt were lynched at the time.

It broadly shows the military career of Admiral Michiel de Ruyter between 1653 and 1677, during the Anglo-Dutch wars.

An heroic spectacle which paints de Ruyter as a common family man. Similar in tone to movies like 'The Patriot' (2000) by Mel Gibson and 'Pearl Harbor' (2001) by Michael Bay, only on a budget of 8 million dollars instead of over a 100.

4 replica's of actual historical sailing ships were used; 'De Batavia' from 1995, the 'Shtandart' from 1999, the 'Étoile du Roi' from 1996, and 'Het Utrechts Statenjacht' from 2003. 'De Batavia' with the red lion figurehead on the prow, and the 'Shtandart' with its bright yellow sides and wreath shaped cannon portholes were very recognizable. Even though there are many explosions, it appears that the use of stage blood wasn't allowed on these replica's. The horrible murder of the brothers de Witt in the disaster year 1672 is shown here for the first time in detail. Very topical in this era of political murders and terrorism in which the discussion between Republicans and monarchists is breaking out again, this is definitely not a movie which Orange fans would want to see...but perhaps they should. ;)

Released in two versions for both ages 16 and 12, the latter presumably without nudity and less violence. I've only seen the 16+ version, and recommend it to anybody with a even a slight interest in dramatic history."

Hopefully we'll get it in the cinema at least in select cities in the US. I recognize some of the  Dutch actors (Rutger Hauer of course).  There was an excellent Dutch movie about the resistance in WWII  saw in the theater in the US; "Zwartboek" (Black Book). That was a Paul Verhoeven film, who of course is well known here.

Seen the movie, for Dutch standards, it was certainly very well done. 

Just a pet peeve of mine:

I noticed several shipmasters ordering to raise or let fly the "spinnaker" quite a few times during battles.

As far as I am aware, the spinnaker did not appear on ships before the 19th century...

Would have liked to see more background to some of the battles and political intrigue (Dutch politics in the 17th century where rather Game-of-Thrones like if you read into it really), but I guess it's hard to portay without drawing out he movie too much or keeping budget limitations in mind.  

Anyway, that is just my inner history-nerd at work there. Decent movie overall, would recommend. 

We're not going to get it here in Australia for a long time (if at all).

In the mean time, can anyone recommend any books about De Ruyter and his time? 

To me this is a fascinating period which is generally ignored by English speakers because a) it's got no Americans in it and b  )   the Brits aren't winning, so I haven't been able to find any books about this time at all.

Are there any books out there...?

Seen the movie, for Dutch standards, it was certainly very well done.

Just a pet peeve of mine:

I noticed several shipmasters ordering to raise or let fly the "spinnaker" quite a few times during battles.

As far as I am aware, the spinnaker did not appear on ships before the 19th century...

Was this a subtitle translation issue?

We're not going to get it here in Australia for a long time (if at all).

In the mean time, can anyone recommend any books about De Ruyter and his time? 

To me this is a fascinating period which is generally ignored by English speakers because a) it's got no Americans in it and b  )   the Brits aren't winning, so I haven't been able to find any books about this time at all.

Are there any books out there...?

Yes they have it in book ,the story 

It,s the dutch link ,only to show it you  :   http://www.bol.com/nl/p/michiel-de-ruyter/9200000030213169/?Referrer=ADVNLGOO002008J-G-15145933695-S-78673790775-9200000030213169

Dont know if there is coming a Englich version of it

The writters name of the book is :  Alex van Galen

I still need to go see the movie ,the funny thing is my father is born in the city were De ruyter is coming from ,and 1 of his sisters is playing in the movie to in the back ground people . because they were needid people that 

were talking that dialect of that province and city .

well i live in zeeland, i remember a couple of years back one of my coleages at work was telling me that they were trying to remove michiel's statue because he "was a bad man"   people seem to forget that back in that day, slavetrade was done by most dutch traders and not just the dutch.. the rest of michiels actions in the navy, against the brits was worth being called a hero, its what he should be praised for.

about slavery, dont bash it on one man, bash it on the country & the people of the time.. not just one man.

samething about the movie,.. people were trying to stop the movie because it had nothing bad about michiel in it. i mean seriously?