Game-Labs Forum

New Port Battle Ratings

Hi captains.

I think that new map and RvR rules make the game different and more balanced, and next weeks will be so funny for all. However, I have seen one thing that I think can unbalance the game a bit: the homogeneous BR.

With very heterogeneous ratios the battles were much more varied, because you had to choose the best combinations of ships, but with these new ratios there is practically no choice: all the battles are going to be practically the same. 

For this reason, I believe that the BR should be more varied, both in county capitals and in the rest of the ports.

Thanks for comments, mates ;)

• Like 3

I like the large BR, high risk high reward if one side wants to bring all 1st rates then they're going to pay heavily in the fight if they lose. But there's a slipperly slope where one side can field 25 1sts and one side can't which is going to snowball victory after victory as one side loses more and the other side gains a lot. Although I won't be able to get a taste of the new RVR for a while, I do like the direction I think it makes a lot of sense. Pb's on the otherhand I don't think really measure up.

Where I think PB's can improve is bringing in two more concurrent battles per port. So instead of a BR limit to field 1 instance where you could easily just do 25 1st rates, the ships need to be spread around to 3 battles. This would keep the BR limits but prevent homo-fleets of 25 meta 1st rates in one battle. You would have to spread the SOL's around 3 battles, keeping the high end limit but preventing homo-fleets which can be a pain in the rear.

Edited by Slim McSauce

As far as I am concerned. The new BR on ports effectively killed 10 man groups. Maybe it is to promote people needing more friends.... hard to find with current population.

I am also concerned that port battles will be the same fleet setup...maybe it is easier but it's also boring.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Teutonic said:

As far as I am concerned. The new BR on ports effectively killed 10 man groups. Maybe it is to promote people needing more friends.... hard to find with current population.

I am also concerned that port battles will be the same fleet setup...maybe it is easier but it's also boring.

In my opinion, RVR isn't really a medium group activity. That's where raids/blockades should come in in the future. RVR should include as many players as possible, we're all nationals fighting under our flags and conquest is a staple of that.

3 hours ago, Intrepido said:

It is a big mistake the new BRs.

Most of the ports will involve a lot of first rates.

And let me you remind one thing, a live-white ocean costs 40.000 doubloons.

Eso si tienes suerte y encuentras live y white ;)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Slim McSauce said:

In my opinion, RVR isn't really a medium group activity. That's where raids/blockades should come in in the future. RVR should include as many players as possible, we're all nationals fighting under our flags and conquest is a staple of that.

Then you're essentially dictating that some nations just cannot participate effectively in rvr.

That's retarded dude.

Where are the 5,000br deeps? The 1,000br shallows? Ports that can allow smaller groups to enjoy the fight.

Large groups can always fight the large br ports - but they stopped doing that.

All those fights clans/nations had at small br ports isn't going to magically go to large br ports.

Guess people are going to complain about how they can't find anyone to fight. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Teutonic said:

Then you're essentially dictating that some nations just cannot participate effectively in rvr.

That's retarded dude.

Where are the 5,000br deeps? The 1,000br shallows? Ports that can allow smaller groups to enjoy the fight.

Large groups can always fight the large br ports - but they stopped doing that.

All those fights clans/nations had at small br ports isn't going to magically go to large br ports.

Guess people are going to complain about how they can't find anyone to fight. 

The problem is you're trying to please medium and small groups with content that is predominately dictated by large numbers of players. If all you want is something that 10 of you can do on the fly then that would be raids and such. RVR is something that starts large and scales up. 100 people lines on up for a pb where only 10 are allowed in is not a good solution. It makes more sense to give medium groups their own unique content, because a medium group is always going to be somewhere between 4-15, but a large group can be from 20-150 and more. Would it make sense  for 150 people to compromise their large battles for a group of 15? Why not give the 15 their own content specific to that size. 

Personally I really enjoyed the variety of port BR ratings. Hashing out the best fleet comp we could put together with the BR on hand. With such large and standardized BR we run into the problem of low variety fleet comps. I think at the very least county ports should have some varied BR.

Personally I think the ideal BR system would be one where the BR of the port is based off its tax revenue (Maybe even have port upgrades tied to it). The idea being important ports would naturally generate larger battles, while ports in the middle of no where would be smaller battles allowing even small groups to participate. This would also open up the possibility for economic warfare allowing a ports BR to be lowered by blocking trade or raised by bringing in supplies.

Edited by Aster
  • Like 9

17 hours ago, Intrepido said:

It is a big mistake the new BRs.

Most of the ports will involve a lot of first rates.

And let me you remind one thing, a live-white ocean costs 40.000 doubloons.

Why are you going again a step backwards ? We had an very good balanced BR system with different ship in the Port Battles . Now you switching back to the old stupid only 1 Rates BR system. Crazy !!!!!

The good system are always getting  removed, the bad game system always getting pushed.  Looks like an TRUMP Style. Are you listen to the Community ?

Edited by Kopelent

Fact is that if the 25 first rate can't enter the pb, they will be screening the smaller enemy pb fleet though.

As long as there is nothing to limit the volume of 1st rate in game no matter the wealth of a nation, why artificially prevent them from entering  a pb ? They will be there anyway.

We can't test the max br for pb as we can see lots of clans still sits on tons of 1st rate, after the full wipe we will see if flipping will be that easy when everyone will be back in 5h - 4th rate.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Aster said:

Personally I think the ideal BR system would be one where the BR of the port is based off its tax revenue (Maybe even have port upgrades tied to it). The idea being important ports would naturally generate larger battles, while ports in the middle of no where would be smaller battles allowing even small groups to participate. This would also open up the possibility for economic warfare allowing a ports BR to be lowered by blocking trade or raised by bringing in supplies.

+1. stop dumbing down the game

• Like 1

Ideally some of the circles would move to shallow areas so that a mixture of ships might be needed. THAT combined with clans choosing fort location might prevent 25 line ship hordes. 

• Like 1