Game-Labs Forum

A Word on Crafting

Trading is now attractive again, since long routes provide more profit and with NPC goods it seems to work really fine, so thumbs up.

But speaking general of getting resources or especially moving resources from one port to another - there is an urgent need to improve this.

Let's say I make an outpost in a free town (like La Tortue) and want to be able to craft ships there. Because I want to participate in PVP Event more than once per evening. Then I have to move my materials there. For those tasks it would be nice to be able to setup a NPC trader to deliver these materials automatcally. Let me choose the exact starting time of the journey, the delivery process runs automatically.

Of course these deliveries could be interrupted by enemy ships which makes some ports very valuable for waiting there for other players traders ships to arrive. Technically sinking those delivery traders could count as PVP since they are sent from players. Maybe this could be hard to implement because then AI must know routes from every port to every destination port. But this could improve crafting and improve ship travel.

Edited by mikawa
Title
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, mikawa said:

Trading is now attractive again, since long routes provide more profit and with NPC goods it seems to work really fine, so thumbs up.

But speaking general of getting resources or especially moving resources from one port to another - there is an urgent need to improve this.

Let's say I make an outpost in a free town (like La Tortue) and want to be able to craft ships there. Because I want to participate in PVP Event more than once per evening. Then I have to move my materials there. For those tasks it would be nice to be able to setup a NPC trader to deliver these materials automatcally. Let me choose the exact starting time of the journey, the delivery process runs automatically.

Of course these deliveries could be interrupted by enemy ships which makes some ports very valuable for waiting there for other players traders ships to arrive. Technically sinking those delivery traders could count as PVP since they are sent from players. Maybe this could be hard to implement because then AI must know routes from every port to every destination port. But this could improve crafting and improve ship travel.

Without adding anything to the idea. I'd just point out, that AFAIK crafting in a capturable port has benefits with regard to crafting. It would also be more sensible to craft somewhere far away from the busiest PVP area on the map and teleport a ship there everytime you wish. With that in mind, I have always liked the idea of being able to purchase a Tow to port from the admiralty for just that purpose

As for moving stuff around via traders, yep it's been something mentioned before. A taxi service for our goods , if they were sinkable is something I think most would be able to get behind.

Be nice if we had a full player driven uber taxi service for our goods, or  free ports offering missions created by us for the purpose of ordering goods to be delivered etc

person a creates a job offer, pays for the mission .. delivery of Teak to La Mona , with a price. person b sees the mission, accepts and delivers the teak and gets paid. Of course this wouldn't be easy to code / program or the simplest of ideas like this would be ingame already.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Angus MacDuff said:

Yeah, this discussion has been around for a while and always received positive feedback.  I seem to recall however that @admin shot it down not because it was a bad idea, but because its just not doable. (I could be mistaken...my memory was never perfect)

we could always just bring back the 1k hold delivery "tows" we had before.

@Vizzini make a good point about crafting in capturable ports to take advantage of the higher chance of premium ships.  The problem then, as he says, is getting them to the front lines fully ready for battle.  One tow a day with empty holds is definitely an issue for many players.  In the past I have run a group of 3 6th rates up to Shroud for this reason, but that is time I don't enjoy.  The way I see it, allowing anything in the hold during a tow takes away the PVP opportunity to capture valuable good from players.  Could it be limited to 100 tons of reps?  That might work.  How about more than one tow per day?  That would start the exploits for sure.  I think that the system we have is the best for all, TBH.  You take a time hit on transporting everything, but that is content.

16 minutes ago, Vizzini said:

person a creates a job offer, pays for the mission .. delivery of Teak to La Mona , with a price. person b sees the mission, accepts and delivers the teak and gets paid. Of course this wouldn't be easy to code / program or the simplest of ideas like this would be ingame already.

I think this would be impossible to incorporate properly. What happens if player B gets caught by another player? Is he responsible for the mats, means: must he pay for the losen goods? Then nobody would take this risk (at least not for another player) - otherwise what happens if player B just delievers this goods to himself? Or if he just sails into another port, sells all and then nevers answers call from player a?

The idea is good but can't be handled so that all sides are content.

Edited by mikawa
typo

10 minutes ago, Teutonic said:

we could always just bring back the 1k hold delivery "tows" we had before.

I know this had been discussed several times before. Still I am convinced that to send AI ships with cargo to destination is the correct way. Tows are not the best choice considerung a lively OW.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mikawa said:

I think this would be impossible to incorporate properly. What happens if player B gets caught by another player? Is he responsible for the mats, means: must he pay for the losen goods? Then nobody would take this risk (at least not for another player) - otherwise what happens if player B just delievers this goods to himself? Or if he just sails into another port, sells all and then nevers answers call from player a?

The idea is good but can't be handled so that all sides are content.

I don't see this as a problem.  Just like IRL, a trade ship master is hired to deliver goods.  If he does something unethical (as you mentioned), his reputation suffers.  There could even be a function so that it is only possible to deliver as per the contract.  A Captain who continuously loses cargos will be suspect and those with a good reputation can demand higher fees.  We can actually do this as the game stands now.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Sir Loorkon said:

The only thing I dislike on your concrete suggestion is counting the sinking of the trader as PvP because that could be abused very easy.

I see,  regarding alts problem .... This is an aspect I really seldom think of because I am not an alt player.

• Like 1