Game-Labs Forum

Why not reverse the Doubloon Penalty for Rank or delay?

I can appreciate the higher rank has higher chances scenario.  I can also accept that the new guy has to get a leg up.  But the Doubloon increase to Teleport to check your based  when you advance rank  is a penalty.  You can't stop ranking up it is automatic and you suddenly are penalized for ranking.   Maybe you could make it a curve that escalates through the middle ranks then reduces as you rank up.  Another suggestion is to provide for a method to payoff or delay ranking.   That is you pay 10 doubloons to not rank up and you can continue for a time to only pay 9 instead of 10 doubloons to TP.

COST:
I've accepted the fee for teleportation.  It seems like a tip for the Port agent for managing my affairs at an outpost.  Paying 10 Doubloons vs 6 Doubloons is not much of a hardship.  With a little planning I get by with less teleportation.  I consider this fee part of the costs when evaluating the profit on a trade.  

PROMOTIONS:
Ranking up has less benefit for a small merchant.  But many players are in a hurry to sail larger war ships and make heaps of cash to keep them afloat.  So it is generally considered laughable that anyone would want to delay, or refuse, promotions.

I like sailing Traders Lynx and Traders Brigs.  I don't need; a lot of crew, or to make millions on each trade run. Bigger and more isn't always better. 

Luckily it takes a long time to rank up with travel XP only.  My rank doesn't reflect my combat skill.  Never will.  I'm a Master and Commander with less fighting skill than an ensign.  I've earned XP very,  very slowly.

Players who are receiving lots of XP are fighting, and they likely deserve the increase in rank.  Players who want to avoid receiving travel XP can; avoid long distance sailing, sail slower, play less often, and for less time per session. 

• Like 1

It's just an annoying mechanic which doesn't add anything to the game. It should be simply removed. One more complexity without use is gone then.

It would also get rid of this stupid scenario where you move most of your doulboons out of a wallet, teleport to the end of the world with last ones you have, and sail back for hours to get to your main outpost.

• Like 1

100% of the tp payment should go directly to the clan that owns the port. That would make it relevant. Otherwise, the expense ends up as negligible.

But I can see how it wouldn’t feel negligible your first day or two in game. Perhaps the first couple of tutorial lessons should result in a couple hundred doubloons and a few thousand reals. 

• Like 1

The more mechanics that add discomfort to alts, the better. Especially cross nation alts. 

Easy to spot where most discomfort lies, and is not with the guy that spends 2 hours per day in game and uses 1 character.

Game supplies enough doubloons to support normal average usage of teleportation. This is undeniable.

• Like 3