Game-Labs Forum

Sextant Perk

Hello @admin

I'm trying to anticipate loss of the trader tool and want to ask some things before it happens.  Firstly, we think it is a lot of fun to have to triangulate your distance.  Is there anyway the trader tool could remain in any shape or form with just distance information and the APC columns and price columns removed giving us just a simple distance to port.  The sextant tool will be okay as far as position finding, it does take some work away as far as finding my actual location so that does disappoint me somewhat, but is there anyway you could get distance information because it is useful for estimating time of arrival to a destination.  

How you do is as follows:  You look at the distance to ports and see how many km you are from the destination.  Then start a stop watch (sounding) and see how many km you travel in 1 minute.  So if you started at 145k at the beginning of the timing and end at say 137k, you're traveling at a rate of 8k per minute, so if you're 137k from the destination at 8k per minute I will arrive in approx 17 minutes in this example.  This is important for timing of arrival for PBs, and hostilities.  Is there anyway to keep distance information and remove the other columns while getting our sextant tool for position?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Macjimm said:

Or use Felix's map.

Or let me get a suggestion to the admin so I can help shape the gameplay I want to see.   Felix map is nice, but I don't use it for that purpose, I'd rather have the same thing in game than have to alt tab and look at my browser when I can much more easily press the "M" button and have distance to ports. 

Hemp,

my compliments on your style.  😀 Sailing is more enjoyable when I am calculating the time en-route.  Anything that we can do while sailing increases the experience.  Simplifying sailing increases boredom.   If  you want admin to notice this thread, I encourage you to put some tags in it.  Other players have said that it gets their attention, not sure if it's true, but it can't hurt.  Regardless, your suggestion stands,  and mine may be helpful for a few players.

• Like 2

On 12/14/2018 at 9:39 AM, Macjimm said:

Or use Felix's map.

I think that's a great idea and I'm sure Felix will have no problem with Game Labs incorporating it into the game. The work is already done, just place it in game instead of the one we have.

Some legal paperwork will probably have to be taken care of, but that's an amazing tool we have there. I just started using it and was actually wondering how updated it was. It's a bummer it doesn't have prices for trade goods.

For someone using two PC monitors, it is great! otherwise, you gotta get in/out of game quite a bit and each time you Alt-F4 you have to restart your game...it can be tedious...JK!!!

I think a well made sextant could be perfect. And more historical if it cost some seconds to figure out what's correct coordenades. More exciting Age of Sail game. 

And if we want more navigation tools, let's search a 17/18th century one. Let's learn how the sailors ruled the sea waves!

9 hours ago, AngryPanCake said:

I think that's a great idea and I'm sure Felix will have no problem with Game Labs incorporating it into the game. The work is already done, just place it in game instead of the one we have.

Some legal paperwork will probably have to be taken care of, but that's an amazing tool we have there. I just started using it and was actually wondering how updated it was. It's a bummer it doesn't have prices for trade goods.

For someone using two PC monitors, it is great! otherwise, you gotta get in/out of game quite a bit and each time you Alt-F4 you have to restart your game...it can be tedious...JK!!!

Appreciate your preference but help me to understand the nuance between using the 'm' key, and 'Alt-Tab'.  You lost me with the connection to 'Alt F4, why would we use Alt-F4 to access a map?

Also, NA is not the only game to use 3rd party apps.  Many developers are now encouraging the creation of apps to enhance their games.  Brace yourself because use of outside apps to may become essental.

I realize that some players may have old outdated systems, that can barely run the game, and need all their resources to operate the main application.  With that aside, why are some players yearning to have the all of the game functions purely accessed within the game itself.

I use multiple applications when playing NA.  NAMaps and Prater's Map, Google Chrome (Google sheets, and Docs), Photoshop (Shrouded Recluse's map) and SnagIt.  Specific software has powerful advantages.  I'm just not seeing the benefit to expecting NA to do everything.

Edited by Macjimm
Changed Muse to Recluse

15 hours ago, Macjimm said:

Appreciate your preference but help me to understand the nuance between using the 'm' key, and 'Alt-Tab'.  You lost me with the connection to 'Alt F4, why would we use Alt-F4 to access a map?

each time you Alt-F4 you have to restart your game...it can be tedious...JK!!!

That was supposed to be a joke. Alt-F4 closes the app completely...I guess it just fell flat!

15 hours ago, Macjimm said:

I use multiple applications when playing NA.  NAMaps and Prater's Map, Google Chrome (Google sheets, and Docs), Photoshop (Shrouded Recluse's map) and SnagIt.  Specific software has powerful advantages.  I'm just not seeing the benefit to expecting NA to do everything.

Many people see a huge benefit in having everything they need within the game instead of going in/out of apps. And as far as expecting NA to do everything, I think you got people's expectations wrong. We do not expect NA to do everything (well yes, everything that would make the game better, less tedious, more fun to play), but rather expect NA not to undo a lot of things that were already in the game that actually made it somewhat more player friendly. That is the "nuance", which is quite a significant one.

Edited by AngryPanCake