Game-Labs Forum

About frigates.

o Barão

Question

Sorry for my poor english, is not my native language.

I am still new to the game so i have many questions.

I got my first frigate, well a corvette, the Renommee and i went to fight pve vs a Belle Poule with 9pd cannons.

-9pd cannons lack the punch to deal damage against a Belle Poule showing the broadside at medium ranges? 

-When i am preparing to make my broadside coming from a tight turn i set my rudder to the middle and my sails to auto but still i have troubles in aiming my guns low. Any pro tip to help bringing the guns down?

-When looking to stats the Trincomalee and Endymion it seems they are beasts in comparison with the other frigates. Are they really powerful against others frigates or all frigates all balanced?

-I am sailing around the french islands near Fort Royal and sometimes i go to Puerto de Espana for trade and i don't find carronades to sell anywhere. Why so? There is no advantage in selling carronades? I think i saw the contracts only have 15 days , i may be mistaken about this. But the low contract duration is a issue to sell goods in the market to other players? 

- I found a Trincomalee to sell with teak frame and bermuda cedar planking for 950k. It is a good deal?

- I only used 1 perk - fleet control.  I can only have 5 perks? I can change perks or are they permanent? Double charge and double shot are so important?

Thank you.

• Like 1

11 answers to this question

25 minutes ago, no one said:

-9pd cannons lack the punch to deal damage against a Belle Poule showing the broadside at medium ranges?

If the Belle Poule is teak/white oak you are going to have some troubles penetrating the hull, but it's doable. Medium cannons are better for medium ranges because they have more dps and more punch, but less penetration than longs.

30 minutes ago, no one said:

-When i am preparing to make my broadside coming from a tight turn i set my rudder to the middle and my sails to auto but still i have troubles in aiming my guns low. Any pro tip to help bringing the guns down?

Depower the sails, it helps alot. And if you are sailing the surprise or trinco depowering sometimes is not enough, you need to depower and trim sails to neutral wind force.

33 minutes ago, no one said:

-When looking to stats the Trincomalee and Endymion it seems they are beasts in comparison with the other frigates. Are they really powerful against others frigates or all frigates all balanced?

Trinco and Endy used to be the best on their class (Essex could be too but lacks chasers). Now with the introduction of Hercules and Le Requin, we don't know anymore.

37 minutes ago, no one said:

-I am sailing around the french islands near Fort Royal and sometimes i go to Puerto de Espana for trade and i don't find carronades to sell anywhere. Why so? There is no advantage in selling carronades? I think i saw the contracts only have 15 days , i may be mistaken about this. But the low contract duration is a issue to sell goods in the market to other players?

Bots don't sell carronades, carronades are crafted by players only. Must be them to put contracts in the port markets.

40 minutes ago, no one said:

- I found a Trincomalee to sell with teak frame and bermuda cedar planking for 950k. It is a good deal?

In my opinion it's a weak hull for a trinco, have speed but can't stand much combat. Better go for teak/teak or teak/white oak.

43 minutes ago, no one said:

- I only used 1 perk - fleet control.  I can only have 5 perks? I can change perks or are they permanent? Double charge and double shot are so important?

Use all perk slots, if you are using less you are in disadvantage to other players out there. You can change when you want, you must have Reset Perks Permit. For me Double Charge is optional and Double Shot is very important.

• Like 2

1. 9pds "Longs" Should do alright versus any other 5th rate class. A lot of people will buff the Belle Poule's thickness though to make it really hard to penetrate. So it is based on the wood build and mods

2. a good thing to remedy your problem here is to press "T" to depower. If that doesn't help, Manual sail you sails to be parallel to the wind to lower your Heel further.

3. The Trinc and Endymion are what you would consider "beasts" in the 5th rate class yes. They are more powerful than the other Frigates due to more guns and better gun class usually. That being said, currently the smaller 5th rates have faster base speeds and so are more likely to be able to flee from the heavier frigates.

4. Entirely depends on players to build the carronades and sell them. In many cases a player sees the cannons being sold and will purchase all of them. It would be best to ask in your nation chat and get someone to trade with you...otherwise Stick to the Capital and Freetown ports as they have a higher chance for stuff to sell do to player traffic

5. I would say that price for the Trinc is a bit high. But again, it depends on the player market and supply/demand.

6. 5 Perks max - they are not permanent though. There is a Permit in the Admiralty store which costs 50 combat Marks, allowing you to reset your Perks and pick 5 new ones. As for which perks are more important, I used the following perks
- Fleet Perk 1
- Double Ball
- Expert Carpenter
- Determined Defender
- Foreman/Prepared/Double Charge (choose 1)

• Like 1

The heavy frigates like the trinc and the endy are in my opinion just better then all the other smaller frigates. The indefatigable is a 4th rate, yes I know it says a 5th rate but its stats are almost on par with the Agamemnon. If you play solo the Endy, Bell poule, and the surprise are going to be your best bets.

Wood types don't do cedar or fir especially for pve ships, the heavier the ship the better. So live oak/white oak, or for the good at everything ship teak/white oak.

For the heel issue you said to depower with T which can be enough. But in a lot of ships/situations that still wont do so turn your yards with q/e, z/c so that the wind passes through them and this will bring your heel to 0.

5 hours ago, Cabral said:

If the Belle Poule is teak/white oak you are going to have some troubles penetrating the hull, but it's doable. Medium cannons are better for medium ranges because they have more dps and more punch, but less penetration than longs.

Depower the sails, it helps alot. And if you are sailing the surprise or trinco depowering sometimes is not enough, you need to depower and trim sails to neutral wind force.

Trinco and Endy used to be the best on their class (Essex could be too but lacks chasers). Now with the introduction of Hercules and Le Requin, we don't know anymore.

Bots don't sell carronades, carronades are crafted by players only. Must be them to put contracts in the port markets.

In my opinion it's a weak hull for a trinco, have speed but can't stand much combat. Better go for teak/teak or teak/white oak.

Use all perk slots, if you are using less you are in disadvantage to other players out there. You can change when you want, you must have Reset Perks Permit. For me Double Charge is optional and Double Shot is very important.

5 hours ago, Teutonic said:

1. 9pds "Longs" Should do alright versus any other 5th rate class. A lot of people will buff the Belle Poule's thickness though to make it really hard to penetrate. So it is based on the wood build and mods

2. a good thing to remedy your problem here is to press "T" to depower. If that doesn't help, Manual sail you sails to be parallel to the wind to lower your Heel further.

3. The Trinc and Endymion are what you would consider "beasts" in the 5th rate class yes. They are more powerful than the other Frigates due to more guns and better gun class usually. That being said, currently the smaller 5th rates have faster base speeds and so are more likely to be able to flee from the heavier frigates.

4. Entirely depends on players to build the carronades and sell them. In many cases a player sees the cannons being sold and will purchase all of them. It would be best to ask in your nation chat and get someone to trade with you...otherwise Stick to the Capital and Freetown ports as they have a higher chance for stuff to sell do to player traffic

5. I would say that price for the Trinc is a bit high. But again, it depends on the player market and supply/demand.

6. 5 Perks max - they are not permanent though. There is a Permit in the Admiralty store which costs 50 combat Marks, allowing you to reset your Perks and pick 5 new ones. As for which perks are more important, I used the following perks
- Fleet Perk 1
- Double Ball
- Expert Carpenter
- Determined Defender

1- I was using mediums for more dps but if i have problems to penetrate the armor having more dps in this situations maybe is not so relevant. I will run more tests.

2- T to depower. Thx. In the heat of the battle i will probaly have many problems in manual the sails to a parallel position to the wind. But press T will help a lot i hope.

3- So if i playing solo a faster frigate would be a better choice but with support a Trinc or a Endy would be good. Ok makes sense

4- Strange how the market works. With this situation it would be normal to see players to rush and craft carronades and sell them overprice to make big money. I will try my luck in chat.

5- Ok no deal. thx

6- Thanks for the information about the perks. Obrigado :)

Edited by no one

13 hours ago, Teutonic said:

- Fleet Perk 1
- Double Ball
- Expert Carpenter
- Determined Defender

dump the DD for charged man :) you would be suprised to know I never get boarded because people assume you have it. hehe

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HachiRoku said:

dump the DD for charged man :) you would be suprised to know I never get boarded because people assume you have it. hehe

i am using atm.

- Fleet perk 1

- Double ball

- Determined Defender

- Hold optimization ( using this because i found a cargo with 1000 weight and 400k profit for each unit. So i need this to get 2 units on the le gros ventre )

I didn't choose the 5 perk atm. I will wait a few more days .

Charged you will get slighty more pen but less dmg. Not worth it imo.

Edited by no one

7 hours ago, HachiRoku said:

incorrect. Damage is the same and it is worth it if you know what you're doing 😛

Yes i maybe wrong. I didn't find any reliable source about this and what i said was from other person comment. So yes i am probaly wrong since doesn't make a lot of sense. However if you are wasting a perk to increase your pen i think you are doing it wrong. You have limited charges with double charge right?

6 hours ago, Palatinose said:

Expert Carpenter is the most powerful perk in the game at the moment imo.

And from what i see and of course i can be wrong and i have troubles in finding a reliable source about this it is imo a waste.

From what i  understand when you hit hull repair it will use at best 7 x hull repairs if you have them in your cargo.

Each hull repair will heal 100 hp from your armor and structure  hp. Correct me if i am wrong.

So 7 x100 = 700 hp

Expert carpenter will give you 0.05 hull repair modifier  ( 5%)

so instead 700hp you are healing 735hp.

so lets say i am sailing in a frigate with 4229 hp on the side armor. That 35hp more you are healing doesn't sound anything special anymore.

Again please take  note that i am finding troubles in finding a reliable source . So take this with a grain of salt.

6 hours ago, Aster said:

The heavy frigates like the trinc and the endy are in my opinion just better then all the other smaller frigates. The indefatigable is a 4th rate, yes I know it says a 5th rate but its stats are almost on par with the Agamemnon. If you play solo the Endy, Bell poule, and the surprise are going to be your best bets.

Wood types don't do cedar or fir especially for pve ships, the heavier the ship the better. So live oak/white oak, or for the good at everything ship teak/white oak.

For the heel issue you said to depower with T which can be enough. But in a lot of ships/situations that still wont do so turn your yards with q/e, z/c so that the wind passes through them and this will bring your heel to 0.

Man i am really noob to this game. I never suspected we have a razee ship in the 5th rate category. 42 pd carronades at both decks ?  Praise the lord.😜

"For the heel issue you said to depower with T which can be enough. But in a lot of ships/situations that still wont do so turn your yards with q/e, z/c so that the wind passes through them and this will bring your heel to 0."

Yes! I finally i got the Renonmee and the Frigate and with more experience i am already using manual sails to depower the ship. And not just because i  need to lower my guns. sometimes i need to make sure i will have more  hits. And i also learn if i have wind coming from behind i don't need to depower. The wind is already helping me in that situation. I realy enjoy the game mechanics in NA. Difficult to master in the beginning but very interesting.

Edited by no one

On 7/21/2018 at 2:11 AM, Teutonic said:

Trinc and endy are fast PvP interceptor frigates but Indef is beast of 5th rates of all frigates Connie takes the title of beast

5 hours ago, no one said:

And from what i see and of course i can be wrong and i have troubles in finding a reliable source about this it is imo a waste.

From what i  understand when you hit hull repair it will use at best 7 x hull repairs if you have them in your cargo.

Each hull repair will heal 100 hp from your armor and structure  hp. Correct me if i am wrong.

So 7 x100 = 700 hp

Expert carpenter will give you 0.05 hull repair modifier  ( 5%)

so instead 700hp you are healing 735hp.

so lets say i am sailing in a frigate with 4229 hp on the side armor. That 35hp more you are healing doesn't sound anything special anymore.

Again please take  note that i am finding troubles in finding a reliable source . So take this with a grain of salt.

I cannot provide a source as I am too lazy to search for it on the forums. But from experience I might tell you the following:

Talking about numbers: base repair is 25% of your armour hp. 5% via Expert Carpenter therefore adds another 20% repair strength. As in the current system multi repair is active, you get a 5% Bonus each hull repair cycle. 

Hope that helps understanding.