Game-Labs Forum

Proposal to change sail force mods

5 hours ago, z4ys said:

A Spanish rig on a bellona or p frig is as broken as p rig on a xebec and there is no way to fix it other than removal of those mods or changing the system

Removing all speed mods is the only way to "fix" this issue permanently and fair.

Only the woods should determine the ships speed. Want speed? Make your ships out of lighter woods, done.

1 hour ago, vazco said:

Making those mods much weaker like Banished suggested would also work. 

I agree, I like z4ys' proposal, but I feel a straight nerf overall would be a better fix for less effort at this time...although it could also be seen as just a bandaid over a gushing problem

1 hour ago, z4ys said:

It will fix nothing. It's like reducing everything by 1kn. All stays the same just 1kn slower.

I disagree to a certain extent. Those using sail force mods get slower, but those using speed based bonus mods get "closer" to those using sail force. For me, a good balance would be that Sail force mods can make a difference, but they wouldn't be inherently better than a simple speed bonus stat.

30 minutes ago, Flinch said:

Not true because it only affects people using the mod. The mod users are slower but everyone else are the same speed as before.

While I said in this post that I believe nerfing sail force mods would greatly help with bringing them back in line with normal speed bonus mods, I think Sail force mods would still be "better"

The major difference I see with sail force mods at this time (and even if they get nerfed) is the following

Sail Force Mods - Increase the speed in a battle instance, but not in the OW

Speed Mods - Increase speed in a battle instance AND in the OW

It's possible that we should be looking at this and wondering if it's what we want...as Navy Loodsman is also a possible problem. Another thought is that Sail Force Mods seem to be superior to speed mods when you're looking to get more speed in a ship in a battle, if we were  nerf them 50%, I still think sail force mods would be better as "speed mods" than Speed mods are. I would like a test to see a ship with Speed Mods, vs a ship with a Sail Force mod and Navy Loodsman -- Test their OW speed and their Battle instance speed. Then to also consider the slot management that speed mods take up to match or beat Sail Force bonuses versus 1 Sail Force mod slot.

I may be rambling too much but tl;dr "sail force mods need a nerf, but I don't think it's that simple."

Sail force mods need to go, they too drastically change the sailing qualities of a ship and can add many knots of speed with little effort.
Real studded sails or stay sails was something done in chase or to run away, it wasn't always active and probably had more downsides than just negatively effecting the opposite point of sail. More crew, more stress on the rigging, not an every day sort of thing.

In reality stuns'ls ( or Studding Sails) are used to gain more speed while having low wind speeds. With the static wind speed as we have it ingame they make absolutely zero sense.
As I said in my previous post on this thread:

The speed of any object within a fluid is limited by the shape of its surface. Thus a square rigged ship that goes 10 knots while sailing at a broad reach in 8 beaufort wind will not get any faster by setting additional sail. It will only start to heave more.

• Like 1