Game-Labs Forum

Battle Sails! GIVE THEM A USE!!!!!!

On 8/5/2017 at 8:40 AM, Jacob van Heemskerck said:

I like the idea of giving the battle sails more function when a fire mechanic is already added to the game and it has a dedicated keyboard key binding to it, now it seems only a use to reduce ship speed or keep at low speed at the moment. 

And like the OP said the idea to reduce sail crew needed when sails are not beeing used seems a big compliment to the crew management during battle. 

Crew and material management should be more decisive who win's or loses a battle/duel, in my humble opinion. 

I'll give these idea's most definetly a upvote.

Exactly sir.

On 4-8-2017 at 4:29 PM, admin said:

yes.. originally in the sea trials they were giving a boost to turning

we are planning to give more uses to battle sails

1) increase turn rate
2) reduce fire chance
3) increase fire chance if you are not on battle sails

some magic has to be done with animations so they are well integrated into the sequences. 

On point 1) increase turnrate,

• does this work in real life aswel? 

•And does the battlesails give such a speed reduction by pulling up you main sails? 

•And does the upgrade to unity 5, give you that "magic" so the animations are well integrated into the sequences? 

4 hours ago, Jacob van Heemskerck said:

On point 1) increase turnrate,

• does this work in real life aswel? 

•And does the battlesails give such a speed reduction by pulling up you main sails? 

•And does the upgrade to unity 5, give you that "magic" so the animations are well integrated into the sequences? 

Real life battle sails was used for several reasons.  

Most importantly it provided a stable firing platform for the gun crews and reduced the sailing crew requirement giving them more men for guns.  

Battle sails was slower than full sails, but wasnt meant for speed, it was meant for maneuvering and fighting.

U5 may help.. but there is a lot of factors that the U5 upgrade may help with.

• 2 months later...
On 8/4/2017 at 7:29 AM, admin said:

yes.. originally in the sea trials they were giving a boost to turning

we are planning to give more uses to battle sails

1) increase turn rate
2) reduce fire chance
3) increase fire chance if you are not on battle sails

some magic has to be done with animations so they are well integrated into the sequences. 

Increase chance of setting your OWN sails on fire if your firing deck guns at Full sail:),.. Fires should also effect sails which they currently do not as fire as I can tell

On 04/08/2017 at 4:29 PM, admin said:

1) increase turn rate

Oh, great! Everytime I see this suggestion I just fear we're going to slow everything down. With increased turnrate you give something to get something. Sounds ok to me.

I'm curious about how burning sails will play out for all those who love their massive amounts of repairs? (They'll love the idea but cry their eyes out when it happens)

Well if this were to be realistic... ships in combat never wanted to tack through wind with full sails, it would damage their masts and break them/put strain on them and cause damage to them. In terms of realistic, how realistic do we want to go in a video game? Battlesails could work, but also maybe making tight corner turns at full speed breaking masts top section off or adding sail to gain more speed potentially at risk of breaking something. Just a thought

• Like 4

On 8/6/2017 at 5:54 AM, Quineloe said:

@admin Fire is still beneficial to the player receiving it. You can turn your ship into a bomb on a whim, you can use it to deny capture and if you don't want to have it right now, it's like 5% (12 out of 240) or even less of your crew to put it out with no damage done to your ship in a minute. Fire does nothing detrimental except tie up a tiny amount of crew.

There seems to be a tiny chance to suffer some instant sail damage when a fire breaks out now, but it really rarely ever happens.

The fire ship mechanic is beyond broken.... If you have Fire ship mods or skill you should only be allowed to have Minimal crew and no guns... Why? Because in a battle if the Captain ordered the ship lit on fire and the crew to sail as close as then could to the enemy so they could all die in the explosion.. he would be swimming seconds later. Fire ships were a special use thing and for disrupting/damaging fleets in harbor not an attack plan in a fleet battle