Game-Labs Forum

Allow Teleportation AWAY from Free Ports, but not to

I keep coming back to the problem that the game would be more fun if it was easier to get around (for anyone who is not Pirate or British).

Raiding out of a free port is just a huge PITA. 2+ hour sail there, fight a while, then 2+ hour sail back. Ain't nobody got time for that.

I propose the following:

Let us teleport into national port outposts from any other outpost, including free ports but not the other way around.

This helps maintain that going to a Free Port is still a big deal. It's a commitment. But if you want to get back home for whatever reason, that's not a big deal. The people who presumably drove you away still win: it's going to take you 2+ hours to get back, but at least it's not a nightmare sail both ways each time.

• Like 7

I'd of loved something like this last night after my completely unfruitful trip from Mortimer, down through Swedish waters, to French waters, to Dutch waters, and then back up to Mortimer.  Being able to just stop at a free port and teleport my ass back to MT so I could do something more productive would have been great. But nope the choice is afk/alt-tab while web browsing sail back home. Or, in my case last night.. fall asleep in my chair and wake up with my ship stuck on Haiti. :P

• Like 1

As long as we can't TP ships, I see no problems with TPs in and out of FT. You would still need to sail your ship there the first time, and any replacement. Slamz's suggestions means people, if they alreayd have ships in that FT, would sail back to that FT in basic cutter. And basic cutter taxi's aren't OW content, IMO.

Edited by Serk
  • Like 3

On 7/10/2017 at 4:56 AM, Serk said:

As long as we can't TP ships, I see no problems with TPs in and out of FT. You would still need to sail your ship there the first time, and any replacement. Slamz's suggestions means people, if they alreayd have ships in that FT, would sail back to that FT in basic cutter. And basic cutter taxi's aren't OW content, IMO.

Apart from the reclassification of a Free Town from relativity safe back to dangerous, it also allows for a tactic which I outlined when hostility grinding was first mentioned.

Allowing TP back and forth makes it easier to stage a PB fleet there.

Neither may be a bad thing though.

5 hours ago, CaptVonGunn said:

just allow teleporting between FreeTowns if you have a outpost in each that means you still have to sail somewhere first unless you only live in Freetowns

Nope that makes national v national siege/territory conquering far too easy with no way to counter.  Only pirates should be able to teleport to free town, and they shouldnt be able to capture ports

• Like 2

There are a couple of issues I have with allowing teleporting in and out of freetowns.

1. It makes it easy for raiders to attack traders especially now that there is more trading done in OW. If teleporting is allowed both ways then a raider can set up in several freetowns and quickly hop between them looking for targets, basically allowing him to be in several regions at the same time. Only allowing teleport out of freetown may be a compromise, but this leads to my second issue.

2. Freeports are big trading hubs for trade goods, any easier access to them allows people to buy up and stockpile these trade goods to control the market. Traders will be able to set themselves up so they have easy access to these ports which will give them greater control of the market.

I think the current system is just about right with freetowns, they become more like ports of refuge or trading hubs rather than bases to operate out of.

12 hours ago, Archaos said:

1. It makes it easy for raiders to attack traders especially now that there is more trading done in OW.

The problem I see today is that there are far too many "safe zones" in the game where you are very unlikely to encounter an enemy because nobody can be bothered to sail for 2 hours, each way, to get there.

There SHOULD be more raiding going on out of remote free towns but the present state of the game makes it so much of a hassle that almost nobody can stand to play that way. (You really have to have zero interest in RvR to play like that.)

1 hour ago, Slamz said:

The problem I see today is that there are far too many "safe zones" in the game where you are very unlikely to encounter an enemy because nobody can be bothered to sail for 2 hours, each way, to get there.

There SHOULD be more raiding going on out of remote free towns but the present state of the game makes it so much of a hassle that almost nobody can stand to play that way. (You really have to have zero interest in RvR to play like that.)

Read the threads about solo raiders and look at the numbers of traders they are capping and then say there are too many safe zones.

There is a balance to be reached, if you make it too easy for the raiders then you kill off trading. The main trade hubs are the freetowns, so making access to freetowns easier will seriously affect trading. At present there is risk with trading which makes it interesting, you can afford to lose the odd cargo and still be able to make profit, but if that swings round and majority of the traders make losses then you kill trading, which in turn affects the raiders.

To many people want things handed to them on a plate and cant be bothered putting the effort in to hunt. If a trader has to sail for several hours to get the best trade routes and prices why shouldnt the hunters have to do the same when hunting them?

Edited by Archaos

17 hours ago, Diggled said:

Nope that makes national v national siege/territory conquering far too easy with no way to counter.  Only pirates should be able to teleport to free town, and they shouldnt be able to capture ports

Not if you limit(as has been suggested many times by myself and others) FReeport docks(ship left when you TP away) to 5th rates and below and Traders